Am I the only one optimistic thru PS Game 2?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah... Kamara didnt play either. what that shows us I think is that at this point our defense is very average.

on the flip side...our ones moved the ball pretty well against their first team defense.

keep in mind thats a team who was one freak play away from being in the nfc championship...they are good....or at least they were last season, lol.

both teams we have played are pretty good and our first team moved the ball well. right now our strength appears to be running to the left.... IMO, we are seeing a bit more of the passing game in PS because we still have things to wrinkle out and players to evaluate in that area.... but come week one I think we will fall back on that run game more.

wins and losses mean nothing in pre season...how many times have we went 4-0 in PS and 4-12 in the regular season?

but some of our individual performances were heartening....IMO we have several players who will continue to find their way as the season progresses which will only help us in the long run.
I was impressed with Rosen with the first team. However, I'm deeply concerned with out offensive line.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah... Kamara didnt play either. what that shows us I think is that at this point our defense is very average.

on the flip side...our ones moved the ball pretty well against their first team defense.

keep in mind thats a team who was one freak play away from being in the nfc championship...they are good....or at least they were last season, lol.

both teams we have played are pretty good and our first team moved the ball well. right now our strength appears to be running to the left.... IMO, we are seeing a bit more of the passing game in PS because we still have things to wrinkle out and players to evaluate in that area.... but come week one I think we will fall back on that run game more.

wins and losses mean nothing in pre season...how many times have we went 4-0 in PS and 4-12 in the regular season?

but some of our individual performances were heartening....IMO we have several players who will continue to find their way as the season progresses which will only help us in the long run.
Eh, I wouldn’t even say their first team defense. Their top 2 players, Cam Jordan & Marshon Lattimore, didn’t even play I believe. Marcus Williams, who had a good rookie year despite that goofed moment against the Vikings, I don’t think played either.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't take any stock on preseason. I'm not budging on my 6-10 prediction. If anything, I'll lower it if there is a rash of injuries.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To me it looked like BA lost his edge 2 years ago when he went down in San Diego.
I think they got the horses and the coaching staff to build a winning year.
Optimistic...yea

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am optimistic. The QB position went from a complete blank to a position of strength, depth and hope for the future. Just amazed at the pick up of both QB's. Rosen has poise, strength, accuracy, and leadership. Love it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After two preseason games I still feel this is a 7 win team.

Defense:
  • Our DBs are the strength of this unit and the team.
  • Concerned about depth at DL.
    • Diche looks like trash so far. Very Disappointing!
    • Golden is still a question mark
    • Peters and Pierre need to stay healthy
    • Jones is the only one I'm confident in
  • the LB Corp is my biggest concern
    • Scooby gets engulfed and is a liability if he is forced to start
    • Need Buccanon and Bynes healthy
    • Very thin depth wise
    • One major injury here and the Cards are screwed
Offense:
  • QB is deepest I've seen this unit in years. Very promising
  • David Johnson is a monster. Pay the man
  • OL is a mixed bag:
    • Left side of the OL looks solid. Needs to stay healthy.
    • Pugh looks solid so far
    • Can Mason Cole hold up week in and week out?
    • Can we trust Andre Smith at RT?
    • Pretty thin depth wise
    • Need starters to stay healthy or we are in trouble.
  • Fitz is still Fitz
  • Need Kirk and/or Chad Johnson to step up as the #2 and #3 WR or maybe someone else.
  • Who will step up at TE:
    • Is Seals-Jones the real deal? If he can continue to produce this offense could be special!
    • Will Gresham ever see the field enough to live up to that insane contract he received last year?

Just too many big questions still to be overly optimistic. I like the coaching staff and the Cards have a solid group of young players who form their core. Even if this year is a bust I'm optimistic for the future!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you all remember how our horrible our starting offense looked in preseason last year? I began to wonder if we would score at all in the regular season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here is what to be optimistic of...

Josh Rosen does not look like the NFL stage is too big for him.
DJ looks healthy.
We have two accurate QB options to throw to Fitz who struggles to get separation.
Our starting line looks like it can be league-average when supported by our quick pass game.
Corey Peters is one of the best bargains in the NFL.
Chandler Jones is a good edge player.
We have a top 10 NFL secondary if Jamar Taylor can be average.

I don't know what that translates to in terms of overall record. My guess is we are between a 4 and 7 win team due to durability history of key positions (QB, LT, LG, RG, DT) and lack of depth.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Az valley of the run! You know my take - balanced offense helps the rest of the team out - I think it was a conscious choice to get a coach that would run more - like they did finding success on previous jobs- I mean Whiz went from running most of in the nfl to passing most play caller in the nfl for the cards- great success at first but burnt out the talent- BA had succes when he ran CJ but he really didn’t want to- he wanted to pass pass pass - and blame his oline for not being able to protect in the worse of circumstances most every down.

I don’t like our defense in preseason but know it is vanilla - we have a defensive hc that I am gaining faith in - might be top 10 - again might not. Have top pass rusher and corner - moved back to the 4-3 - lbs will be featured and it fits them like a glove - if they can cover and execute.

I hope Bradford takes the reigns and never looks back for 7 years and 2 superbowls - at 30 yo and 9 years experience accurate, smart, chip on his shoulder - rested on a rebuilt knee. There is fear but ain’t their always fear of qb injury?a good run game will mitigate that.

DJ is the engine of this offense, and I am excited about rb backups - all could be special - 1000 yards by DJ and 1000 yards by back ups does not seem unreasonable if we don’t pass 75% of the time again.

So I’m excited about the journey and hopefully for the destination. Hopefully our drunken GM will kick some az to reestablish himself. I like his flaws, he’s a real guy in a real world. Experiencing a paradigm shift in public. I hate being ill in public, but challenge other disabled vets to stand upright and lead follow or get the hell out of the way - within their current abilities.

I predict an entertaining AZ Cardinal football club

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's my take so far and it might change after tomorrow night(some call week 3 a dress rehearsal for Dallas isn't playing Prescott or Zeke):

What I'm optimistic about: DJ looks great and ready for the season. If he can stay healthy, he's going to have a monster year. Our QB situation looks good. Bradford is a good QB if he can stay on his feet, which is a problem. Rosen looks like the real deal and needs some honing but our future looks good. We're getting decent pressure on QB's right now and it needs to keep up. 1st team offensive line is playing well but if anyone gets injured, we're screwed.

What has me concerned: O-line depth.The 2nd and 3rd team o-line has been God awful. With the exception of PP, our secondary flat out stinks right now and our linebacking corp is also not up to par. Special teams doesn't look like it's improved. And our WR corp is lacking.

All in all, right now, we're a .500 team at best and that's if everything goes right.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My biggest concern is the DL. Fingers crossed that Nkemdiche will improve, but we are woefully thin at DT. If we get Golden back, the DE position might be okay. No depth at LB, but strong at DB.

On offense, if we stay healthy, we should be okay.