Am I the only one optimistic thru PS Game 2?

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Why? Bruce Arians was one of the best game-day head coaches in NFL history. We can hope that Wilks will be as good as Arians was, but it’ll be nearly impossible to be better.

We could just as easily be burying a football at the training facility by mid season.

Where did you come up with this falsehood?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is the greatest trait of BA. His in-game IQ was off the charts. It is almost always never talked about

Why? Bruce Arians was one of the best game-day head coaches in NFL history. We can hope that Wilks will be as good as Arians was, but it’ll be nearly impossible to be better.

We could just as easily be burying a football at the training facility by mid season.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wilks will likely bring stability. Will McCoy bring an offense?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With this secondary i would be all for blitzing on nearly every down

I guess I like blitzing more of a tool than the primary focus of a defense... mix it up so to speak.

Gosh, I hate getting beat by the blitz but it works both ways. Of course I will take whatever works.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I guess I like blitzing more of a tool than the primary focus of a defense... mix it up so to speak.

Gosh, I hate getting beat by the blitz but it works both ways. Of course I will take whatever works.
We appear to have some ball hawks in the secondary...bringing heat could cause lots of turnovers for us... Of course...certain qbs could eat us alive...lol

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yea, it’s preseason but there is a good deal of stuff to grab our interest!
The O-Line does seem to look pretty stout! Even Cole, especially for a rookie, looks solid and should only improve week to week. Iupati looks like he’s turned the clock back a few years. Pugh and Hump look very solid.
DJ looks like a beast!
Bradford looks like a true veteran pro.
Rosen showed encouraging signs!
Kirk is a flat out stud!
Our secondary does look promising.

I would say that the glaring issue that surfaced yesterday was the run defense. Saints gashed us in the first quarter...

Reactions: PJ1

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I focus on key individuals for the most part. Many came through last night. Bradford, Rosen, Kirk, Chad Williams. Secondary has been good. I like what I saw of Hodges. DL we shall see.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Arians gave us an advantage on gameday...i have no idea if Wilks can do the same.

Here is what the preseason has shown me. We have a chance to have a top 15 QB, LT, CB, and pass rusher. That is great for the future with a competent coach and GM.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The middle of our defense is weak. The sides and periphery looks all world. Especially if Baker shines this year.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's pre-season. Had Brees played last night the score would have been much different.

Sure. And if my aunt had a ****, she's be my uncle.

Who cares what the score is anyways? Or if Brees had played and lit it up like, uh... Drew Brees. I think the OP makes some valid observations and reasons for optimism. I agree about the staff - I think they are a breath of fresh air and I like what I'm seeing a LOT. Hell, just knowing Amos Jones isn't there any more is reason for optimism! There's NFW that special teams play doesn't improve 1000% this year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Who cares what the score is anyways? Or if Brees had played and lit it up like, uh... Drew Brees. I think the OP makes some valid observations and reasons for optimism. I agree about the staff - I think they are a breath of fresh air and I like what I'm seeing a LOT. Hell, just knowing Amos Jones isn't there any more is reason for optimism! There's NFW that special teams play doesn't improve 1000% this year.

Special teams didn’t look great last night. :shrug:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Special teams didn’t look great last night. :shrug:
Our coverage teams still need to work out some kinks but both our returners are looking good. That’s something we haven’t had in a long time.

The coverage units should improve over time if our new special teams coach is any good. Finding really good return guys is a talent issue and much harder to find. I think we have two talented returners in Kirk and Logan.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arians was spectacular at winning one-score games. Far ahead of the NFL average.
The one thing about BA was his teams seemed to find a way to win, especially close games. Don't know if it was good coaching or if the players bought into his system and believed that good things would happen in the 4th Q

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The one thing about BA was his teams seemed to find a way to win, especially close games. Don't know if it was good coaching or if the players bought into his system and believed that good things would happen in the 4th Q
Players buying in is coaching.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team has several weaknesses. We are really weak at LB. I am not yet sold on any CB other than Peterson. Our depth in general is not good.

Actually so far preseason has been about exactly as expected for me. I still think we win 5-8 games depending on the injuries we experience. Really I just want Rosen to get some good experience this year so we can build for the future.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I may have been confusing in my previous post about the season. Many things have actually improved and I think this team will be more fundamentally sound. The Palmer era was closing. Change had to be made. The Cards have a legitimate QBOTF. They have several impact players who will be here awhile, losing only Fitz next year. They could be fun to watch. The O-line worries me with regard to durability also the backups look very weak. Nkemdiche is likely to fail, but I like Pierre. So the D-Line has issues. The real killer is the schedule. Even a playoff caliber team would be hard pressed to win 9 with that schedule. So I figure 7 would be a good number. I expect this team to contend for the playoffs next year with a decent draft. Don’t lose hope; be patient. Don’t be disappointed. Progress can’t always be measured in wins.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Because people are breaking their arms patting themselves on the back about winning a meaningless game where the opposition didn't even play to their full potential. Believe me, it matters. See what Brady did to the Eagles Thursday night? You can take bits and pieces from the game to be positive about but watching the Saints move the ball effectively with TJ Hill at QB is somewhat concerning.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Because people are breaking their arms patting themselves on the back about winning a meaningless game where the opposition didn't even play to their full potential. Believe me, it matters. See what Brady did to the Eagles Thursday night? You can take bits and pieces from the game to be positive about but watching the Saints move the ball effectively with TJ Hill at QB is somewhat concerning.

yeah... Kamara didnt play either. what that shows us I think is that at this point our defense is very average.

on the flip side...our ones moved the ball pretty well against their first team defense.

keep in mind thats a team who was one freak play away from being in the nfc championship...they are good....or at least they were last season, lol.

both teams we have played are pretty good and our first team moved the ball well. right now our strength appears to be running to the left.... IMO, we are seeing a bit more of the passing game in PS because we still have things to wrinkle out and players to evaluate in that area.... but come week one I think we will fall back on that run game more.

wins and losses mean nothing in pre season...how many times have we went 4-0 in PS and 4-12 in the regular season?

but some of our individual performances were heartening....IMO we have several players who will continue to find their way as the season progresses which will only help us in the long run.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What? already we start to get the Arians was so great bandwagon? It's preseason and I want to remind you that everyone and my grandmother coul see when the cardinals were to run the ball...

Arians had some good traits, but off the charts gameday decisions? Like bad thrown flags, discussing with refs and getting them against us?
Losing games because he was stubborn? Getting QB killed because his playcalling got predictable after 2 years? Gosh ...

Yes he was good, but his last 2 years were, bad. He only had the luck to not go full Whisenpunt ...

BA was a good coach as long as he was ahead of the curve and the others didn't figure him out, than ... all of a sudden, averyone knew what he wanted to do and it was difficult to win games.

We had so many big leads to see them shrink to 1 score ... that was hilarious ... Cardiac Cards ...

And that was BA. Yeah we had some games were we closed them, but we had a 6-6 game as well ...

So yes BA was good, but his time has come, ST was bad, D got worse and O ... got Skeltoned ..

Back to Topic: yes we look like a 5-11 or 10-6 team, it depends how consistant our team is amd how the culture of Wilks is.

As long as Bradford survives the first 6 games and wins 4 of them we are in the picture to get something done because there are 5 winable games in the back end so 9-7 seems doable with some luck even 10-6 and maybe a wildcard spot.

But for now, we know:
  • we have a capable QB Bradford and a capable QBoF and backup in Rosen
  • we have the best WR in the game and at least 2nd best of all time in Fitzgerald
  • we have a young WR corps that shows improvement and at least 2 other WR not name Fitzgerald capable of posting a 100 yard game in Kirk and Williams
  • we have a adequate O-line
  • we have David Johnson one of the best RB in the game
  • we have Edmund that seems to be okay as 2nd back
  • we have TE that can catch and block and 2 FB that can open holes
  • we have a D that produces TO
  • we have the best cover Corner in the NFL in PP21
  • we have one of the best OLB/DE in Chandler Jones
  • we have some adequate #2/#3 CB
  • we have good FS/SS
  • we seem to have good Ends but lack something in the DT part
  • the ST is better than the last 2 years, still not stelar, but way better
For me this sounds reasonable to say that we should end up at least as good as last year so 8-8 should be possible, we know that even last year with some more luck or less stuborness we could have finished 9-7 or even 10-6 (as with some more bad calls 5-11). But overall that is the area where we should be 5 - 10 wins should be our spectrum.

I would love to see us in the playoffs but I'm not sold yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose