Tom Chambers charged in assault

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Chambers, has been charged with assault for an incident at a Scottsdale restaurant that occurred in April. Apparently no punches were thrown.

It's amazing what situations celebrities are confronted.

Witnesses told police 22-year-old Alexander Bergelt — berated Chambers with a number of insulting statements, including "You're tall and scrawny," and "You're not sh*t," TMZ reported.

Chambers reportedly told police he reacted after Bergelt said,"Your mom should have killed you when you came out of the womb as ugly as you are, your arms are skinny, your chest is this. Your belly is big."

Per TMZ, Chambers said he didn't punch the man, but was just trying to get him to "show respect." Bergelt's claimed Chambers grabbed him by the throat and threw him backwards.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ged-assault-scottsdale-restaurant/1017648002/

http://www.tmz.com/2018/08/16/tom-chamber-assault-charge-scottsdale-bar/

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I guess the only question here was, “Did he feel threatened at the time?” Hopefully he did.

People can be scumbags.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ve heard Chambers is a real horse’s ass but I can’t iamgine a random dude going up to someone and mouthing off like that. That’s reason to get KO’d.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@Mainstreet Beat me to posting about this by 1 second. I clicked the forum and saw this post and it had 1 post with 0 views.

Chambers needs to sober up. He had a DUI a couple years back and now this. I know it says no punches were thrown but he choked the kid. He shouldn't have gotten in a confrontation with someone like that anyways. Instances like this happen more often when you've been drinking. The Suns should tell him to go to rehab or find a new job. This doesn't help the team, at all. The DUI was a few years ago but I can't remember if he was punished for that at all.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I guess the only question here was, “Did he feel threatened at the time?” Hopefully he did.

People can be scumbags.

It is incredibly difficult to prove you felt threatened when you are a 6'10 and probably 270lb former athlete.
I am sure this will go away one way or another, but good luck arguing he felt threatened.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is incredibly difficult to prove you felt threatened when you are a 6'10 and probably 270lb former athlete.
I am sure this will go away one way or another, but good luck arguing he felt threatened.

He is 59 years old and the kid was 22 but you're right, he's 6'10 and a retired pro-athlete. He's not completely out of shape either. However he's not accused of throwing punches, he's accused of grabbing the kid by the throat and choking him.

Someone on Reddit claims to be friends with the kid involved and denies the kid said what the article claimed. He did say the kid was trash talking but not like the article said where he's accused of saying "Your mom should have killed you when you came out of the womb" to Chamber's. Apparently Chamber's didn't take the trash talking well, no matter what was said, and then choked the kid. Apparently Chambers and the kid know each other because Tom is good friends with the kid's dad.

Here's a link to the ABC 15 story, it has quotes in there of what was allegedly said.
https://www.abc15.com/news/region-n...suns-star-tom-chambers-charged-in-bar-assault

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is 59 years old and the kid was 22 but you're right, he's 6'10 and a retired pro-athlete. He's not completely out of shape either. However he's not accused of throwing punches, he's accused of grabbing the kid by the throat and choking him.

Someone on Reddit claims to be friends with the kid involved and denies the kid said what the article claimed. He did say the kid was trash talking but not like the article said where he's accused of saying "Your mom should have killed you when you came out of the womb" to Chamber's. Apparently Chamber's didn't take the trash talking well, no matter what was said, and then choked the kid. Apparently Chambers and the kid know each other because Tom is good friends with the kid's dad.

Here's a link to the ABC 15 story, it has quotes in there of what was allegedly said.
https://www.abc15.com/news/region-n...suns-star-tom-chambers-charged-in-bar-assault
Because those people on Reddit who are friends of friends are so reliable.

There were witnesses.

I would love for a team to come out and say "We have no problem with what he did, in fact, we think he should have punched him in the face."

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Mainstreet Beat me to posting about this by 1 second. I clicked the forum and saw this post and it had 1 post with 0 views.

Chambers needs to sober up. He had a DUI a couple years back and now this. I know it says no punches were thrown but he choked the kid. He shouldn't have gotten in a confrontation with someone like that anyways. Instances like this happen more often when you've been drinking. The Suns should tell him to go to rehab or find a new job. This doesn't help the team, at all. The DUI was a few years ago but I can't remember if he was punished for that at all.

I debated for awhile whether this should be posted or where. It seems celebrities take a lot of abuse. If the remarks made by the other party were true, it takes a lot of restraint, sober or not.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There were witnesses.

I would love for a team to come out and say "We have no problem with what he did, in fact, we think he should have punched him in the face."

I mentioned where I heard more on the story, that's it. Here's a link if anyone is interested in reading more about it. I didn't claim it was the whole story or factual.

Chambers did get arrested though and regardless of what the kid said, TC shouldn't have gotten physical with him. He's a former NBA player who is still with a team doing their TV broadcasts. It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone started a fight just in hopes of getting hush money or if they were looking to sue. Regardless of that he definitely shouldn't have punched the kid.

It's odd to see someone encouraging him to resort to violence for something someone said and how the team should back him yet Booker and Ulis both got bashed for the altercation they got in a while back that become public this summer. For a similar case though you could look at the Morrii being charged with assault for beating up someone who was allegedly talking about their mother. I know the Morris brothers were called out for their stupidity by a lot of people here and in Suns fan circles in general. That was similar to this incident in that someone talked trash about the player's mom and the players retaliated, escalating things in both cases.

I'm not sure where you stood on the charges brought against the Morris brothers, JC, but I'd be surprised if you said something similar about the team backing them up for their actions. They're labeled thugs for that while Chambers gets a pass? That doesn't seem right. Former player vs current is understandable to a degree but they were still similar situations and people wanted the Morris brothers traded while some are saying Chambers should have done more than choke the kid/victim and the Suns should support TC for getting physical.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

There were witnesses.

He should’ve double knee’d him to the chest while trying to jump over him. Seriously if some adult (which 22 year olds are) starting mouthing off at you in a public place with friends/family around you I have no problem with him getting physical with the guy. Who knows how crazy the person is and what they’ll do if not restrained.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mentioned where I heard more on the story, that's it. Here's a link if anyone is interested in reading more about it. I didn't claim it was the whole story or factual.

Chambers did get arrested though and regardless of what the kid said, TC shouldn't have gotten physical with him. He's a former NBA player who is still with a team doing their TV broadcasts. It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone started a fight just in hopes of getting hush money or if they were looking to sue. Regardless of that he definitely shouldn't have punched the kid.

It's odd to see someone encouraging him to resort to violence for something someone said and how the team should back him yet Booker and Ulis both got bashed for the altercation they got in a while back that become public this summer. For a similar case though you could look at the Morrii being charged with assault for beating up someone who was allegedly talking about their mother. I know the Morris brothers were called out for their stupidity by a lot of people here and in Suns fan circles in general. That was similar to this incident in that someone talked trash about the player's mom and the players retaliated, escalating things in both cases.

I'm not sure where you stood on the charges brought against the Morris brothers, JC, but I'd be surprised if you said something similar about the team backing them up for their actions. They're labeled thugs for that while Chambers gets a pass? That doesn't seem right. Former player vs current is understandable to a degree but they were still similar situations and people wanted the Morris brothers traded while some are saying Chambers should have done more than choke the kid/victim and the Suns should support TC for getting physical.
Apples and Oranges completely and you know it. The victim was not "in the face" of the Mo Bros. What they did was the result of long term resentment built up and with a previous relationship with the victim. They were also mid-20's 6-10, 250 types beating up on a smaller older man after they followed him out of the building and gathered around him.

When a random stranger walks up, gets in your face and begins screaming obscenities, you ought to have a right to clock him--especially if he is drunk because he then is more unpredictable and therefore more dangerous. How many celebrities have been murdered by random strangers on the street or on their door steps? Many states have "stand your ground" laws that allow just that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should’ve double knee’d him to the chest while trying to jump over him. Seriously if some adult (which 22 year olds are) starting mouthing off at you in a public place with friends/family around you I have no problem with him getting physical with the guy. Who knows how crazy the person is and what they’ll do if not restrained.

I think you speak for how a lot of us would like to react but unfortunately this only gives the person instigating the situation exactly what they want.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think you speak for how a lot of us would like to react but unfortunately this only gives the person instigating the situation exactly what they want.

Oh well. I’m protecting myself and the people around me if I think the nutjob has a screw loose.

Idk how many of us in this thread have been to dinner when a stranger comes up and starts randomly harassing us.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
This punk baited him towards confrontation and probably wants a payday. Tom should realize by now (being a celebrity) you cant / shouldnt go after someone physically just because theyre being an as#hole. The good ole days of busting heads is long gone and people now will either shoot you or name you in a lawsuit. Now, if they physically attack or threaten you, its game on.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Stand your ground laws? Don't know that I've ever heard that before.

Every state is different, but for the most part, "Stand your ground" means that you don't have a duty to retreat, and you may use even deadly force to protect yourself. So if someone breaks into your house, you can shoot them without worrying about criminal charges. There are additional nuances, but that's what it boils down to. Different states have different standards. For example, in PA, we have that law, but you still have to show you were in fear for your safety, so if a 6'8, 290lb dude shoots an unarmed 5'2, 100lb person running away, they may have a more difficult time than they would in Texas.

It's even more tricky when you are outside of your home, so this incident is a poor example. You end up with George Zimmerman/ Trevon Martin (I think I got their names right) situations.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Both may be d***s. I don't know any of them, but drunks (?) get into fights all the time. If the kid was a bastard TC should get away with this and the kid should get fined or whatever. This is all speculation and borders on sports talk.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know. This situation is complex. As stated Chambers is 6-10 and the other guy is just shooting his mouth of and is drunk. What if after Chambers "did his the thing" the drunk guy pulls out a gun and shoots TC? Then the instigater becomes the victim and claims self defense. He could claim it was just words and Chambers is much bigger and got violent first.

So you know ...when violence occurs things can get out of hand quickly and unpredictable. Just call the cops.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Yeah there's not a lot of guns here in Norway so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah there's not a lot of guns here in Norway so I don't know what I'm talking about.

You're really missing out. All you've gotta do is google "bar fight shooting" and there are a lot of stories that demonstrate how awesome booze and bullets are together.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I have had problems with anger. I believe, especially in this case, TC would have been best served to walk away. Its something I have had to learn. A while back some dude was calling me a fat ass. I thought about it and started laughing when normally I would have acted like TC. Honestly I am overweight. Seriously you are stating the obvious dude. That's the best you can come up with? Honestly, most times the longer someone keeps acting an ass, and you ignore them, the worse they start to look. I would tell the establishment, hey, if I cant come in here and enjoy a nice time without you policing your customers, I'm not coming back.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I’ve heard Chambers is a real horse’s ass but I can’t iamgine a random dude going up to someone and mouthing off like that. That’s reason to get KO’d.
My experience with Tom was awesome. He was super polite and gracious.

Back when he scored 63...the night or so after that he came into my work, shopping and I was helping him. Another co-worker jokingly/not-jokingly asked Tom when he and the team were going to get it together...not knowing he just scored the 63. Tom was very nice and just responded with, "we're working hard on turning things around." Never got offended or made a rude comment back... After he left I pointed out the situation to my co-worker...lol...and he felt really embarrassed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
But his arms and chest are small, according to the aggressor...sooooooooooo...lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had problems with anger. I believe, especially in this case, TC would have been best served to walk away. Its something I have had to learn. A while back some dude was calling me a fat ass. I thought about it and started laughing when normally I would have acted like TC. Honestly I am overweight. Seriously you are stating the obvious dude. That's the best you can come up with? Honestly, most times the longer someone keeps acting an ass, and you ignore them, the worse they start to look. I would tell the establishment, hey, if I cant come in here and enjoy a nice time without you policing your customers, I'm not coming back.

If the other guy loses his temper and you keep your cool, I've always considered that a win. I've found it doesn't turn out well to play down to their level.