Slightly OT: Most Devastating Missed FG in the History of Every NFL Franchise

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
Us old timers will remember two Neil O"Donoghue gems, the 3 missed kicks (one of which was ~18 yards) at the Giants in the infamous 1983 Monday Night Football 20-20 tie game, and also the 1984 kick to end the regular season at Washington which would have put the Cardinals in the playoffs (albeit that one was 50+, but still that team would have made some noise in the playoffs if they got in).

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Us old timers will remember two Neil O"Donoghue gems, the 3 missed kicks (one of which was ~18 yards) at the Giants in the infamous 1983 Monday Night Football 20-20 tie game, and also the 1984 kick to end the regular season at Washington which would have put the Cardinals in the playoffs (albeit that one was 50+, but still that team would have made some noise in the playoffs if they got in).
I remember the O’Donoghue misses. Yeah the one against the skins was a bummer. I really think the Cards had a high powered enough offense that year to make it to the NFC Championship and possibly beyond.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
hell,...we had a make that was more heartbreaking than most of those... when gramatica got all excited and injured himself for the season on a bs FG that didnt matter anyway

If someone could part this gif that would be greatly appreciated. We could all use the laugh....

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
hell,...we had a make that was more heartbreaking than most of those... when gramatica got all excited and injured himself for the season on a bs FG that didnt matter anyway

Not the gif, but still hysterical:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
They're total idiots selecting the freaking Rackers' kick, and the media is starting to show their age or lack of... that O’Donoghue kick against the Redskins in '84 is the worst moment of my Cardinal fandom, even more than the catch which cost us the Super Bowl, it was being a Cardinal fan up to that point in a nutshell

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Missing the kick against Jimmy Garoppolo and the Patriots the first game after the All or Nothing season was the worst for me. The Cardinals were riding a high and this loss was a devastating way to start a season.

Then the miss that ended up being a tie with Seattle that same season. To have a chance to beat the division rival Seahawks only to shank it was a major blow to the teams playoff chance that year.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Missing the kick against Jimmy Garoppolo and the Patriots the first game after the All or Nothing season was the worst for me. The Cardinals were riding a high and this loss was a devastating way to start a season.

Then the miss that ended up being a tie with Seattle that same season. To have a chance to beat the division rival Seahawks only to shank it was a major blow to the teams playoff chance that year.

MadCard, two devastating ones for sure. I was furious over the Seattle miss. The O'Donahue miss was outrageous and haunted me for a little bit, but I was a mere teen then, and didn't yet know the levels this team would impose on my life. The Rackers kick.....I left the sports bar, pulled over to a parking lot and sat crying for an hour, then went home and sat in the dark for another two. I still shake my head at how much pain that caused me, and I was a grown a** man by then.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They're total idiots selecting the freaking Rackers' kick, and the media is starting to show their age or lack of... that O’Donoghue kick against the Redskins in '84 is the worst moment of my Cardinal fandom, even more than the catch which cost us the Super Bowl, it was being a Cardinal fan up to that point in a nutshell

Wow. Respect JG.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

true. after all the hype and talk it seams that miss against the pats just set the tone for the entire season

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
I see your Gary Anderson and raise you a Scott Norwood.

Personally I would still vote Gary Anderson. Granted the stakes were much higher, but Scott Norwood was not a great kicker and that kick was outdoors on grass. Deep down Bills fans had to know that kick was far from a lock.

Gary Anderson is an all time great kicker, coming off a perfect season, and kicking in a dome and under 40 yards. That kick was a lock, until it wasn’t. I know many Vikings fans, and they still talk (extensively) about that kick.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agreed but the kick didn't cost us that game. It was the horrible roughing the passer call on E.J Junior. Haunts me to this day.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Rackers nearly ruined Kurt’s perfect game vs Green Bay. The Bears game was most devastating since we took the L.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I didn't become a Cards fan until they got to Arizona.... My nightmares don't have Cardinal kickers in them, just Clancy Pendergast defenses.

Reactions: PJ1

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards had the lead in that game late too.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed but the kick didn't cost us that game. It was the horrible roughing the passer call on E.J Junior. Haunts me to this day.
It was a horrible homer/Theisman call. The in the grasp whistle blew while Junior was just picking him up to sack him. And don't forget the bogus pass interference call 2 plays before that.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gary Anderson is an all time great kicker, coming off a perfect season, and kicking in a dome and under 40 yards. That kick was a lock, until it wasn’t. I know many Vikings fans, and they still talk (extensively) about that kick.
Actually, Anderson hadn't missed a kick in 2 years before that.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Rackers nearly ruined Kurt’s perfect game vs Green Bay. The Bears game was most devastating since we took the L.

This would have been mine, as I was gut wrenched by it(lots of other bad stuff going on in my personal life at the time), but hindsight says w/o this collapse we don't end up with Whis and a Super Bowl appearance. The Cat Man's miss was mitigated by Haushka's miss later and the O'Donahue miss vs Redskins in '84 lost its power since I didn't see it live. I'd say, for me, it was Catanzaro's miss vs the Pats that opening night.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me.....

It was Butler missing from the 10 yard line with two minutes to go and the Cards up 9 on the Vikings. With just over two minutes to go.

Of course, the Vikings manage to score a touchdown, kick a fg, and won the game. This is the only sporting event I have ever been to where something that happened on the field made me puke. I questioned my sanity for being a fan of this team. BTW, the Cards had 1st and goal at the 1 before the kick.

Does anyone else remember this game? It was in 1996 and was not televised in the Phoenix area. It was a home game at SDS.

Last edited:

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
Surprised nobody's mentioned the Racker's miss on MNF against the Bears that led to the infamous Denny Green meltdown. I was at that game, surrounded by Bear's fans and lost sleep that night. Couldn't believe we lost that game. Leinart played great and the defense didnt give up a touchdown That was gut-wrenching.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave