Richaun Holmes to be Traded From the 76ers to the Suns!

Polecat

Reaction score
So, what's the other end of the trade.
What did the Suns give to get Holmes?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could be but I'm not so sure with Chriss still available.
Chriss, Warren, and even Bender are expendable pieces now. Bender fits better with Ayton though.

Holmes is a nice piece for a backup c/pf. Offers more than Chandler's corpse. I could see Chandler bought out right now, especially with Dudley gone. I doubt Kokoskov wants the dead weight on his roster.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe leading to a big trade for a PG with all the dominoes falling.

Yes hope so, most of Holmes plays have a PG, feeding him. Ayton proved with him in summer league he needs a distributor as well. Knight is aa lo IQ guy looking to force the ball or jack up dumb shots, really hoping for a pg

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss, Warren, and even Bender are expendable pieces now. Bender fits better with Ayton though.

Holmes is a nice piece for a backup c/pf. Offers more than Chandler's corpse. I could see Chandler bought out right now, especially with Dudley gone. I doubt Kokoskov wants the dead weight on his roster.

Information by Bordow indicates the Suns are not looking to buyout Chandler. I think other moves may come.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Information by Bordow indicates the Suns are not looking to buyout Chandler. I think other moves may come.
Hmmm. I don’t see a point in trading for a pg unless he is clearly superior to every other pg we have on the roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I don’t see a point in trading for a pg unless he is clearly superior to every other pg we have on the roster.

My guess is the Suns carry 4 point guards. Knight has question marks, Harrison is a bubble player and Okobo is not ready.

Maybe add a PG like Ferrell?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They need a veteran PG who can challenge for the starting role, leaving either him or Knight as the primary backup. The Suns can't count on Shaq or Okobo to play big minutes. Maybe by the trade deadline that will work but to start the season without 2 legit NBA PG's is asking for trouble, especially when the only PG they have hasn't played in a year and a half.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently the Suns liked Holmes for awhile.

The 76ers had worked to find a destination for Holmes, and the Suns have long been intrigued by the athletic, 6-foot-10 Holmes. The 76ers on Thursday also were part of the three-team Carmelo Anthony trade with Oklahoma City and Atlanta, sending forward Justin Anderson to the Hawks and forward Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot to the Thunder and receiving Mike Muscala. The Hawks also sent Dennis Schroder to the Thunder while acquiring Anthony, who will be bought out.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-76ers-trading-forward-richaun-holmes-suns-155307209.html

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Holmes is slightly longer that Chriss, and a little bit less athletic (although you would never know it by watching him play). Holmes looks like one of those guys who either increased their vertical after coming into the league or jumps higher in the adrenaline of a game.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Pretty "meh" move, as far as I'm concerned. It does seem to indicate the Suns are moving on from one of either Chriss or Bender. Not enough minutes for these three guys AND Ariza.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Holmes a lot as a player that can finish plays but the Suns need someone to get Ayton, Chandler and Holmes the ball as they all know how to flush it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does anyone here believe Tyson Chandler has enough mobility to be effective in a Kokoskov motion offense?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here believe Tyson Chandler has enough mobility to be effective in a Kokoskov motion offense?

I do not believe Chandler will be getting many minutes. IMO, he is basically a mentor and a depth center. Also he holds CAP space for the next summer. If there is a way to use Chandler I think Igor will find it.

Although the Suns have given no indications of buying out Chandler this could still be a possibility.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I do not believe Chandler will be getting many minutes. IMO, he is basically a mentor and a depth center. Also he holds CAP space for the next summer. If there is a way to use Chandler I think Igor will find it.

Although the Suns have given no indications of buying out Chandler this could still be a possibility.
I agree with all of this. Maintaining cap for next summer remains important. But Holmes is also an expiring.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with all of this. Maintaining cap for next summer remains important. But Holmes is also an expiring.

I'm hoping the Suns can keep Holmes as a FA if he works out.

Who I'm feeling bad about right now is Alan Williams. He is a class person.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Gambo said they were buying Chandler out but that was prior to Bordow saying that wasn't happening, addressing those who were asking him. I thought people were asking because Dudley was traded but it was Gambo who started that. He sent out a tweet earlier after the Dudley trade about the Suns buying out Chandler but has since deleted it. He has one up now that says they've spoken to him about a buyout before. He also said the Suns have tried to buyout Dudley for 2 weeks now. I find that interesting. While it's possible it's odd he never said anything before.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo said they were buying Chandler out but that was prior to Bordow saying that wasn't happening, addressing those who were asking him. I thought people were asking because Dudley was traded but it was Gambo who started that. He sent out a tweet earlier after the Dudley trade about the Suns buying out Chandler but has since deleted it. He has one up now that says they've spoken to him about a buyout before. He also said the Suns have tried to buyout Dudley for 2 weeks now. I find that interesting. While it's possible it's odd he never said anything before.

I have more confidence in Bordow than Gambadoro after the draft. Still, Chandler could be bought out if the right trade happens.

The Suns would have $9 million more to spend.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have more confidence in Bordow than Gambadoro after the draft. Still, Chandler could be bought out if the right trade happens.

The Suns would have $9 million more to spend.

I'm not a fan of the stretch provision when a player has 1 year remaining. Buy them out and be done with it. Maybe if it's a small deal then spreading the cost can help, Boston used it on a player that only had about $80,000 guaranteed in their contract but it had 2 years remaining. The guaranteed amount is all that counts though and they stretched it over 5 years which caused a cap hit of $17 thousand for 5 years. It freed up just enough to squeeze Haywards contract in last year. With Chandler and the Suns though, pay him so we can move on. You don't want to be out $4.5 million for the next 2 seasons, I know it's 3 years in total but 2 beyond this season. That money would have helped at the beginning of free agency, not now.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Thanks for the work, Duds.

Was hoping Sauce would be signed to a new contract. Still hoping. If not here then somewhere else.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the stretch provision when a player has 1 year remaining. Buy them out and be done with it. Maybe if it's a small deal then spreading the cost can help, Boston used it on a player that only had about $80,000 guaranteed in their contract but it had 2 years remaining. The guaranteed amount is all that counts though and they stretched it over 5 years which caused a cap hit of $17 thousand for 5 years. It freed up just enough to squeeze Haywards contract in last year. With Chandler and the Suns though, pay him so we can move on. You don't want to be out $4.5 million for the next 2 seasons, I know it's 3 years in total but 2 beyond this season. That money would have helped at the beginning of free agency, not now.

Apparently the Suns have been talking to Dudley and Chandler about buyouts with no success. A stretch provision is only an option. I guess it depends upon the value of the player one gets in return. I'm not a fan either.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
Even if Chandler plays out his contract this year with the Suns, I think he could be a valuable mentor for Ayton. He doesn't bring much to the table on the floor any more but I believe he's a great locker room presence with so many young players. Plus he's kind of an enforcer type and if you watch all of Bookers scuffles last year Chandler and JJ were always the first to his side. That's got to have value to a guy we just signed to the max.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Even if Chandler plays out his contract this year with the Suns, I think he could be a valuable mentor for Ayton. He doesn't bring much to the table on the floor any more but I believe he's a great locker room presence with so many young players. Plus he's kind of an enforcer type and if you watch all of Bookers scuffles last year Chandler and JJ were always the first to his side. That's got to have value to a guy we just signed to the max.

Agreed. Between these intangibles, his occasional value on the court and his large contract coming off the books for free agency, I think it is smart to keep him around.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave