Grading Suns First Round Picks Over 50 Years

How would you grade the Suns' 1st rd picks over 50 years?

• A

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • B

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • B-

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • C+

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C-

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • D

• F

• Total voters

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think overall, entire history of franchise, the Suns have done pretty close to exceptional, considering how rarely we have had a high draft pick. But breaking it down into eras, we have had some decades where we struggled a bit, particularly when D'Antoni was in charge of the draft, and later during the Babby regime.

As someone mentioned upthread, when Dick Percudani headed up scouting for the team, we routinely made great picks in the middle/late first round, and even later. The man did a brilliant job here.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think overall, entire history of franchise, the Suns have done pretty close to exceptional, considering how rarely we have had a high draft pick. But breaking it down into eras, we have had some decades where we struggled a bit, particularly when D'Antoni was in charge of the draft, and later during the Babby regime.

As someone mentioned upthread, when Dick Percudani headed up scouting for the team, we routinely made great picks in the middle/late first round, and even later. The man did a brilliant job here.

The Sarver era has been a D, at best, but you can't ignore the quality of our scouting in the 80's and 90's that resulted in a lot of quality players that were picked in the latter half of the 1st round or even outside of the first round.

Looking at the Sarver era though, Booker and Warren are head and shoulders the best players drafted since he bought the team in 2003 or 2004. It's not even close either. McD has been responsible for every good pick that's been made under Sarver's time as owner unless you consider Markieff and Robin Lopez as good picks. I think Markieff is borderline but Lopez was a reach. They also gave up on him too soon. They did have Gortat here also and maybe made the right decision sticking with him over Robin but it can be argued either way.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Sarver era has been a D, at best, but you can't ignore the quality of our scouting in the 80's and 90's that resulted in a lot of quality players that were picked in the latter half of the 1st round or even outside of the first round.

Looking at the Sarver era though, Booker and Warren are head and shoulders the best players drafted since he bought the team in 2003 or 2004. It's not even close either. McD has been responsible for every good pick that's been made under Sarver's time as owner unless you consider Markieff and Robin Lopez as good picks. I think Markieff is borderline but Lopez was a reach. They also gave up on him too soon. They did have Gortat here also and maybe made the right decision sticking with him over Robin but it can be argued either way.
Ironically, I agree that the Sarver era has not produced near the quantity that the Colangelo era did, but I think Booker has a really strong chance to be the best individual player the Suns have ever drafted.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ironically, I agree that the Sarver era has not produced near the quantity that the Colangelo era did, but I think Booker has a really strong chance to be the best individual player the Suns have ever drafted.

I agree with that. Trying to think though, who would he surpass for that spot? Stoudemire and Marion are probably the only 2 semi-recent choices. Majerle isn't a bad choice from the 80's but I'm not that familiar with the 60's and 70's.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The perceived quality of the draft picks actually says a lot about the quality of the team at the time the picks were made. The Cardinals, for example, have had tons of top 10 picks but many of them turned out to bust when in fact they just went to a poorly functioning team at the time and were likely to have found more success elsewhere. With the Suns it shows the same. The mid 80's Suns were a poor team, and so the Bedford and Pinckney and Humphries picks did not shine well. The last five years, with the tank in process to some degree, along with this awful trend of being forced to draft 19 year olds, has led to poor showings for guys like Len, Bender, Chriss. On more stacked teams where these guys could be brought along slowly, it may be a different look for them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m amazed Michael Finley hasn’t been mentioned. The combo of where he was drafted and his career arc are outstanding.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with that. Trying to think though, who would he surpass for that spot? Stoudemire and Marion are probably the only 2 semi-recent choices. Majerle isn't a bad choice from the 80's but I'm not that familiar with the 60's and 70's.

Steve Nash?

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Some of the best earlier picks: Alvan Adams (ROY), Walter Davis, Larry Nance.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Steve Nash?

I'm not sure if Nash can be considered the best pick in Suns history since he was traded away for a while. He was a good pick and we ended up turning his selection into Marion, eventually, but calling him the best pick in franchise history is ignoring his time in Dallas where he developed. We brought him back as a free agent and at that point I don't think what he accomplished should count as a reason he was a great pick back in the day.

He is one of the most popular Suns players and probably the best when you look at his accolades but best pick is a little different, IMO.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Nash can be considered the best pick in Suns history since he was traded away for a while. He was a good pick and we ended up turning his selection into Marion, eventually, but calling him the best pick in franchise history is ignoring his time in Dallas where he developed. We brought him back as a free agent and at that point I don't think what he accomplished should count as a reason he was a great pick back in the day.

He is one of the most popular Suns players and probably the best when you look at his accolades but best pick is a little different, IMO.

He'd already shown enough talent that the Mavs traded a lotto pick for him. He was an obviously successful pick who we only moved because he was stuck behind 2 all-stars.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think we just need to better define what we are looking for.

If it’s talent level of players we drafted you certainly count Nash. Doesn’t matter when the talent manifested itself. The front office did a great job of identifying talent and drafted well.

If it’s impact of the draft picks then Nash moves down on the spectrum because we didn’t get 100% from him due to his years in Dallas.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we just need to better define what we are looking for.

If it’s talent level of players we drafted you certainly count Nash. Doesn’t matter when the talent manifested itself. The front office did a great job of identifying talent and drafted well.

If it’s impact of the draft picks then Nash moves down on the spectrum because we didn’t get 100% from him due to his years in Dallas.

We lost his years in Dallas in order to gain Shawn Marion's entire Suns career. I'd call that a win-superwin.

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
most important Suns' picks, in order, off the top of my head

Booker (bonus for potential)
Nash (2nd only because he was traded before he was even a starter)
Amare
Walter Davis*
Larry Nance*
Marion
Marley
Finley
Alvin Adams*

*i don't really know enough about them to judge

they could be compared to other team's best picks for reference, but of course, it still depends on the draft # of the picks

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most important Suns' picks, in order, off the top of my head

Booker (bonus for potential)
Nash (2nd only because he was traded before he was even a starter)
Amare
Walter Davis*
Larry Nance*
Marion
Marley
Finley
Alvin Adams*

*i don't really know enough about them to judge

they could be compared to other team's best picks for reference, but of course, it still depends on the draft # of the picks

Going just off of your list and from what they've done thus far, I'd order it this way:

Nash
Shawn Marion
Walter Davis
Alvan Adams
Amare
Larry Nance
Finley
Majerle
Booker

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
and yet another angle is:
if you could pick all of them as 19 year old rookies today
in what order would you pick them?
(without health considerations)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
As with all great minds the Suns are pulling C-. Just enough to be passable. :p

I'm just kidding, idk. A+ if we win a title with Ayton/Book. Literally all will be forgiven on that glorious day. :)