Forty percent of people have a fictional first memory

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180717194600.htm

The article states that just under 40% actually have false first memories. To me the astounding thing is the majority have real first memories!

In my life, I have stated things I remember from VERY early on, and my mother has told me she remembers those things as well. I have a very poor memory daily, but for whatever reason those early memories imprinted on me.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can clearly remember somethings that happened when I was 4 1/2 years old (Trip to Massachusetts and Expo67 - including one detail that everyone in my family said was wrong and till we looked at the slides of the vacationing show that I was right

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero "early" memories. I remember a cat...clawing? my face as I headed to the bus stop in Kindergarten. It happened so fast I don't know for sure if it bit or scratched me, but my guess is scratched. I remember HAVING stitches, but not getting them. I can just barely remember the cat backing up & hissing at me as I tried to reassure it that I was not going to hurt it, lol. If only I had known, lol. Even that, though, is very vague. Couldn't tell you what the cat looked like or anything.

I would say I don't have any good, real, memories until I was 8-10 years old...and that's suspect as well.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember the Cards winning the NFL championship in 1947, that's when I was born.:)