Kokoskov: Brandon Knight is the starting PG for the Suns

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's a 37% shooter from 3 for his career, he was trending upward before he joined the Suns. He was shooting 40% in the season we acquired him. He fell off a bit with us. It's not hard to see him shooting around 37% this season. He won't be facing a lot of double teams or the opponents better perimeter defenders.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/knighbr03.html
Not bad. I think he can help this team if he hits that shot with consistency. Still lacking a pure distributor obviously, but this could be the Suns' thinking.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I understand concern but I'd rather have Knight as our starting PG instead of overpaying for Tyreke Evans. Evans hasn't been on a winner in the NBA while Knight can at least say he's been a part of teams that played above 500 basketball. Evans is the wrong person to point to as a potential replacement, IMO.
Could’ve actually had Evans for a contract cheaper than Ariza as he took the same 1 yr deal but for $3M less. That’s not an overpay and is one of the bargain contracts in the league for a guy that can score, shoot and facilitate well.

Knight’s win shares are actually worse than Evans in the last two seasons that Knight played.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Could’ve actually had Evans for a contract cheaper than Ariza as he took the same 1 yr deal but for $3M less. That’s not an overpay and is one of the bargain contracts in the league for a guy that can score, shoot and facilitate well.

Knight’s win shares are actually worse than Evans in the last two seasons that Knight played.

That’s not surprising considering Knight has never played for a 30 win team for a full season and he was on that legendary 15 win team for the Bucks.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'll post this here because Kokoskov is mentioned in the title of the thread.

Didn't we read that he pronounces his name I-gor? But everyone at the first Summer League game pronounced it E-gor.

And, if I remember right, he didn't correct them (when interviewed).

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Didn't we read that he pronounces his name I-gor? But everyone at the first Summer League game pronounced it E-gor.

No. He said it's NOT I-gor.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know we joked about it here but I think I-gor is just a Young Frankenstein thing.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
As a first-generation immigrant, I can tell you that we get sick of correcting people and just stop correcting them eventually. Steven or Ste-fawn is what I get called 90% of the time. After two years, I just started letting it go.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we brought in a stabizing vet to run the point, but the fact is we're stuck with Knight on the roster for now. We might as well give it a crack and see if he can salvage himself.

If he sucks out loud then he gets benched and that's that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little disappointed they didn't try to get Tony Parker. I would imagine that most teams didn't think he was leaving San Antonio. With Okobo on the roster already he could have been a solid mentor.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've never really thought much of Parker. He was great at getting to the rim and never anything special in other aspects of the game, but not bad at them either.

Of the Spurs studs I felt like he was the one lucky to be along for the ride. Had he played out his career on a lesser franchise I don't think he would have been noteworthy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lindsey Smith interview Knight during the half at the SL game today, here's video of it. Not much to take from it. He's asked about Bagley vs Ayton in this game and the changes to Summer League from when he played in it years back to now. Also mentions being really excited to get the season started. He sounds a little different. He talks up joining Booker and Ariza and playing with them next year and how he's happy to return.

notdeadyet

Reaction score
From the sound of it he would only be bringing the ball up the court and then becoming a cutter and spot up shooter after. We will have to see how it works, but it is not uncommon for a system to make players look better than they would be elsewhere. Maybe Igor's system is one of those systems.
I liked what he did in Milwaukee a few years ago. Took advantage of his athleticism and defensive ability. Gotta trust in Igor...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If Knight is not injured, isn't he a veteran PG? Just saying....

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
There is THAT! LOL! I keep telling my kids he's a two. The Suns keep saying he's a PG. LMAO.
Yup, he's a 1.5 -- not a distributor and not a shooter.

I have to believe that the Suns are continuing the facade that he is a Point Guard to get a team to take the bait. We'll have to see if Sarver and McDonough are master baiters. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, he's a 1.5 -- not a distributor and not a shooter.

I have to believe that the Suns are continuing the facade that he is a Point Guard to get a team to take the bait. We'll have to see if Sarver and McDonough are master baiters. :)

I think he has all the skills necessary to be a successful point guard he just hasn't chosen to demonstrate them very often. I don't see that changing but I see no reason to not give him another chance to fail. If he surprises us, great, if not, very little is lost IMO. And I wouldn't rule out "trade bait" either.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think he has all the skills necessary to be a successful point guard he just hasn't chosen to demonstrate them very often.
I really don't know how to consider that thought. Isn't what a player chooses to do just as important as his skill set?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
But when people choose to do something, they can change and choose to do something else. If they don't have the necessary skill set or physical limitations... well, there is no changing that. Take Ulis as an example- no matter what he chooses to do, he is not an NBA player. He can't magically grow five inches. Knight CAN shoot, dribble, pass, even play some defense. He just chooses not to pass instead of taking bad shots. That CAN change.

EDIT: For the record, I don't think Knight will change, but he certainly could if he wanted to.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
For the record, I don't think Knight will change, but he certainly could if he wanted to.
So, does that make you optimistic or pessimistic?

I wouldn't like wasting Ayton's first season finding out. We saw what happened in the Summer League when he wasn't being fed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose