The 2017-2018 Around the NBA thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big trade with Kawhi and Danny Green going to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan and Jakob Poelti plus a future 1st round pick going to San Antonio. That saga is over now. I expect we'll hear both DeRozan and Leonard complain some but I don't think DeRozan will be that angry for long and Leonard shouldn't have forced the issue. He did this to himself.

The pick is reportedly protected from #1-#20 and if it doesn't convey it turns into 2 2nd rounders. That is a much better deal for Toronto now.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

https://sports.yahoo.com/spurs-trade-kawhi-leonard-toronto-demar-derozan-2-132012546.html

We'll see, both Leonard and DeRozan are furious. I'd be somewhat surprised if this time next year Leonard isn't either a Laker or a Clipper but we all thought that with Paul George too.

DeRozan is an LA kid too reportedly he wanted to stay in Toronto but if traded, wanted to be a Laker, just can't see him meshing well in Pop
ball he's just not that type of player. if he pays attention and buys in, Pop would really help his game, but I don't see Demar being that type of player.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We'll see, both Leonard and DeRozan are furious. I'd be somewhat surprised if this time next year Leonard isn't either a Laker or a Clipper but we all thought that with Paul George too.

DeRozan is an LA kid too reportedly he wanted to stay in Toronto but if traded, wanted to be a Laker, just can't see him meshing well in Pop
ball he's just not that type of player. if he pays attention and buys in, Pop would really help his game, but I don't see Demar being that type of player.
Then good riddance. Pop won't have a problem benching that prima donna. I'm sorry, but he's no Kawhi Leonard.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is Derozan a primadonna? By all accounts he's the exact opposite. I think he's going to love playing in SA

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then good riddance. Pop won't have a problem benching that prima donna. I'm sorry, but he's no Kawhi Leonard.

Oh I agree, I'm not a fan of Derozan at all. But I think it could be good for his career if he actually bought in, I just doubt he will.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What really bothers me is the ugly face of the NBA showing itself this morning. All the players are upset with what Toronto "did" to DeRozan.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What really bothers me is the ugly face of the NBA showing itself this morning. All the players are upset with what Toronto "did" to DeRozan.

If they were real about it, they would be more upset about what Leonard did to San Antonio

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If they were real about it, they would be more upset about what Leonard did to San Antonio
Amen!

Did to DeRozan?!? You okay in a league where you can be traded. You make millions of dollars. Good lord the players are spoiled babies. You get paid millions to play a damn game. You sign a contract. No one forced you into being a millionaire. So sick of the players . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
On another note:

Man San Antonio didn’t get much. But they weren’t in a power position.

I don’t think Kawhi resigns with Toronto. That franchise is about crumble into a decade of mediocrity.

Kawhi didn’t want to play for one of the most storied franchises and coaches. He gets his wish. He’s not. He got traded to a contender. He’s still crying. I hate Kawhi Leonard.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On another note:

Man San Antonio didn’t get much. But they weren’t in a power position.

I don’t think Kawhi resigns with Toronto. That franchise is about crumble into a decade of mediocrity.

Kawhi didn’t want to play for one of the most storied franchises and coaches. He gets his wish. He’s not. He got traded to a contender. He’s still crying. I hate Kawhi Leonard.

Yup - odds improved for the Raptors

Updated odds
GSW -168
BOS +670
LAL +825
HOU +925
PHI +1600
TOR +2650
OKC +8500
SAS/NO/UTA +12500
WSH/MIL +15000
POR +17500
IND +25000
MIN/DAL/DEN +40000
DET +60000
LAC +90000
CHA/CHI/CLE/MIA/ORL +100000
PHX/MEM +125000
NYK +150000
SAC/BKN/ATL +200000

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He can't sit out if he sits out he doesn't get paid and not only that he doesn't get to become a free agent it just keeps rolling over.
That’s what i thought. What are the minimum number of games he has to play to have the year count under his contract?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently DeRozan took about $14 million less than the max when he resigned with the Raptors in order for them to add talent around him. Some are speaking up now about how players should not give teams discounts because they can and will be traded if something comes up.

I can see both sides of it but a player should not expect loyalty from their team just for signing a contract. That's the realistic side of the NBA. A team will deal anyone if a better option becomes available and unless they get a no-trade clause, they shouldn't trust a team to honor the other side of the contract and keep them there for the duration of the contract.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtba...biggest-contract-in-nba-history/#25036fb53278

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People are all shocked over this. You can't have the kind of epic fail the Raptors had in the post season and not expect major change.

If Derozan wanted to stay in Toronto then he probably shouldn't of gotten benched in Game 3 and ejected in game 4 against the Cavs.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it's why I kept saying I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

man... I don't even care about his career anymore. I just feel bad knowing what kind of pain that dude's probably gonna go through for the rest of his life (speaking from experience).
Does suck, he went from being a supposed can't miss to a guy who might never play... but at least he still got 1st round money. Even if he only gets the 2 guaranteed years it's like 5 million.

Hopefully he's realistic about his future and doesn't blow it all.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the talent Porter reportedly has I can see him getting an offer even if he's let go after 2 years. Teams took a shot on Brandon Roy after he was physically done, and they did the same with Greg Oden. Oden, like Porter, never showed much at the NBA level. It's a low risk and high reward scenario that will probably keep him in the league until he's 25 or 26. I wouldn't worry about him that much. He'll make a ton of money based on potential alone. I know it's not a ton compared to other NBA players but a few million to try and get healthy enough physically to play in the NBA is a great gig, if you can get it. It's not like his health issues would disappear entirely if he quit trying to play basketball either.