Do you want Kawhi?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is basically over, it's essentially a done deal with Toronto and San Antonio exchanging DeRozan and Kawhi. There are other pieces involved but they have agreed on everything and will make it official today, according to Woj.

Both teams did work all through the night so it looked like it would happen anyways but this is basically confirmation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought i heard on tv where DeRozan had a do not trade clause in his contract? How does that work is he were to enact it?

Can he refuse the trade?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought i heard on tv where DeRozan had a do not trade clause in his contract? How does that work is he were to enact it?

Can he refuse the trade?

Haven't heard that anywhere. I would not believe it's true. DeRozan is reportedly unhappy about the deal but there is nothing he can do to stop it. I suspect once he meets with Pop and San Antonio's executives he'll feel better. He is angry because they promised him he wouldn't be traded a little over 2 weeks ago at the beginning of Summer League play. He doesn't have veto power though, he's stuck going wherever they send him.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow! Very similar in structure to the Paul George trade.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great deal for the Raptors, you can have Derozan for the next 10 years he's not going to take you anywhere. Derozan is the worst "star" in the NBA he's a mental midget. That post season choke job was the worst I've ever seen this year.

Now if your Toronto you hope you can sell Kawhi on your first class franchise and a great city. It's worth it

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the trade for the Raptors, they get Kawhi and Danny Green for DeRozan and Jakob Poelti and a future 1st round pick. I like how Toronto looks now, with Green also.

Lowry, Green, Leonard, Ibaka, Valanciunas
They kept their bench in tact largely also. The Spurs wanted OG Anunoby in the deal but didn't get him. They still have VanVleet, Pascal Siakem, and Delon Wright. They should be able to contend with that lineup, if healthy and motivated.

I'm surprised it didn't cost more than Poelti as far as young talent.

https://sports.yahoo.com/spurs-trade-kawhi-leonard-toronto-demar-derozan-2-132012546.html

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1st round pick involved is protected #1-20 and if it doesn't convey next year it turns into 2 2nd round picks. Toronto got a bargain, honestly. If they keep Leonard that's a big win for them.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reality hits San Antonio fans. They were delusional in what they thought they would get back.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't wait for Kawhi to come back to the Western Conference next season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reality hits San Antonio fans. They were delusional in what they thought they would get back.

As was I. Even with the risk of losing him after one season I thought he'd cost quite a bit more.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As was I. Even with the risk of losing him after one season I thought he'd cost quite a bit more.
I had suggested that Josh Jackson and Warren plus a pick could have gotten him. I did not realize it could have been a highly protected pick.

Every time one of these deals goes down, I am more amazed at what McD got for Dragic and Markieff.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised ESPN is still reporting that Kawhi plans on signing with the Lakers in free agency. I thought that was dead once Lebron signed there and he said he would look to the Clippers instead. I know LA was his preferred destination but I read a few sources saying that Lebron to the Lakers hurt the chances of them acquiring Kawhi outside of trading for him and even then, he may actually leave in free agency.

Toronto has some balls to try selling him on resigning there. I know they can offer more money but being in Canada with the exchange rate, the money really isn't as much of a difference if he's comparing his salary that they can give him compared to another team offering him the max. I know the exchange rate hurt the Raptors in the past because players didn't want to deal with that. It's somewhat similar to Florida having no state income tax. It's one of the things that are outside of the teams control about their location that influences players one way or the other.

Players in Canada, whether Basketball, Baseball or Hockey, are paid in American dollars.

That's a 24% boost on their personal local spending, as of today.

Personal taxes are paid based on where you work. Half in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, in this case, and then wherever the team plays on the road. A tax treaty between Canada and the US covers what is actually paid. In the end, a player in Canada is taxed at the same rate as someone playing in New York State or California.

So, with the exception of states with no State income tax, Toronto is as good, arguably better, in terms of actual disposable income.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
San Antonio did not want to trade him to a team in the West. They made that clear and said the price would be higher for a team in the West because they wanted to send him to the East.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players in Canada, whether Basketball, Baseball or Hockey, are paid in American dollars.

That's a 24% boost on their personal local spending, as of today.

Personal taxes are paid based on where you work. Half in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, in this case, and then wherever the team plays on the road. A tax treaty between Canada and the US covers what is actually paid. In the end, a player in Canada is taxed at the same rate as someone playing in New York State or California.

So, with the exception of states with no State income tax, Toronto is as good, arguably better, in terms of actual disposable income.

I get how they're paid. What I'm saying is if he plays for the Raptors he'll need to get a place in Toronto as well as a vehicle and pay for all of that in Canadian dollars. It will end up costing more because of the exchange rate. He can make American dollars still, that doesn't really matter as much as everything he does in Toronto will cost him more.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get how they're paid. What I'm saying is if he plays for the Raptors he'll need to get a place in Toronto as well as a vehicle and pay for all of that in Canadian dollars. It will end up costing more because of the exchange rate. He can make American dollars still, that doesn't really matter as much as everything he does in Toronto will cost him more.

No. Just the opposite. He's buying Canadian goods with American dollars.

The exchange rate is 25% IN HIS FAVOUR!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Have you ever made purchases in a foreign country?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It came down to San Antonio wanted a star in return fo Kawhi. Overall, I think the Raptors got him relatively cheaply all considered. I wonder if the Suns could have traded for him with a package including Josh Jackson.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The 1st round pick involved is protected #1-20 and if it doesn't convey next year it turns into 2 2nd round picks. Toronto got a bargain, honestly. If they keep Leonard that's a big win for them.

But that’s a big if. Kawhi isn’t George. I’m betting he bolts and that leaves Toronto facing mediocrity for a decade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What?!? You’re not allowed to take the cars you already own into Canada?!? What about your clothes? Underwear? Toothbrush?