2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I almost questioned that too but I thought I'd wait to see if someone else did. He was a high 2nd round pick who had surgery last offseason, for an injury suffered playing for the Suns in SL last year. He didn't recover that quickly but he did recover fully. I don't think his recovery was longer than anticipated and last year we had quite a tumultuous season so squeezing him in when they did was difficult. He showed he was 100% in Summer League this year and knowing he's now healthy they shouldn't let him go now. He played great in SL this year and proved he deserves a longer look, if nothing else.

FWIW Dudley has reportedly lost 12 pounds already this offseason and looks to make an impact next year. We'll see if he does but he's focused on getting in better shape which is a plus. He's also like having an extra coach on the team. He has value and more value here than waived, especially if we're paying his salary anyways. He'll see more minutes than either of the fringe guards discussed and he's also someone Igor can put in when games are close and he needs a composed veteran. I expect we'll see Knight, Booker, Dudley, Ariza, and Chandler on the floor together as sort of a veteran lineup for Igor.
Really PH? He is done. He just is. He won't see the floor unless there are injuries or its garbage time.

BTW, how do you know he lost 12 pounds.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For those in the Patrick Beverley camp...

It's a slow news cycle now, so he got publicity for saying the Clippers are better than the Warriors, but I was more interested in his reaction at 1:09 of this clip:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yep. Nerds looking at numbers on a piece of paper question the signing of Booker, but players know its legit.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really PH? He is done. He just is. He won't see the floor unless there are injuries or its garbage time.

BTW, how do you know he lost 12 pounds.

Bordow mentioned it in his Q&A today. I don't think he would mention it if he didn't believe it to be true.

You can say Dudley's done and that's a possibility but if he shows up in shape, who knows if he'll be used much. We're a very young team and he provides a veteran option that can play defense and knock down shots. It's not that hard to see where he could be plugged into the rotation in certain games. I don't see him as a regular rotation player but he could be a player used on the 2nd nights of back to backs when stamina is an issue elsewhere or if there are injuries to any frontcourt players. I don't think anyone can deny he is a smart player who can provide some leadership in the locker room.

He's very vocal and it's typically been mentioned he's vocal in a positive way, calling out switches or plays on defense. Kidd actually had to tell him to quit calling things out for other players because he wanted them to learn on their own back when he was in Milwaukee. I can find the link to that if necessary.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is favoritism at all. I'd bet that Harrison would be claimed off waivers. He's likely flying below the radar for most teams but someone will notice and grab him. Hopefully, Igor will push for him to be retained as he values defense. I'm not sure I'd waive him instead of Reed if push came to shove - mainly because Reed took so long to recover from his injury. If I were running things there are several others I'd move before I'd waive either one of them - Chriss, Bender, Dudley, Chandler, Warren. Warren is a plus contributor but he's redundent and the others are not positive contributors. Sure, one hates to give up on young guys but I've scant hope for either Chriss or Bender to become plus contributors.

We are in agreement. I'd like the Suns to keep both Reed and Shaq.

I used the word "favoritism" on my part because I tend to over value Suns players but not Chriss, Bender, Dudley, Daniels and Chandler. I still like Warren because I think he has value coming off the bench and he can probably play power forward behind Ariza.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is a classic case of sins fans overvaluing our fringe players. No one has signed Len or sauce. We thought both had value. The reality is that Shaq is a fringe nba player.

I realize I tend to overvalue Suns players hence the irony if another team claimed Shaq with the Suns in need of a point guard.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I almost questioned that too but I thought I'd wait to see if someone else did. He was a high 2nd round pick who had surgery last offseason, for an injury suffered playing for the Suns in SL last year. He didn't recover that quickly but he did recover fully. I don't think his recovery was longer than anticipated and last year we had quite a tumultuous season so squeezing him in when they did was difficult. He showed he was 100% in Summer League this year and knowing he's now healthy they shouldn't let him go now. He played great in SL this year and proved he deserves a longer look, if nothing else.

FWIW Dudley has reportedly lost 12 pounds already this offseason and looks to make an impact next year. We'll see if he does but he's focused on getting in better shape which is a plus. He's also like having an extra coach on the team. He has value and more value here than waived, especially if we're paying his salary anyways. He'll see more minutes than either of the fringe guards discussed and he's also someone Igor can put in when games are close and he needs a composed veteran. I expect we'll see Knight, Booker, Dudley, Ariza, and Chandler on the floor together as sort of a veteran lineup for Igor.
Contract year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Does this make Rozier more available in a trade?

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think so. Ainge wants the moon for him if so.

Throw in a protected pick and then trade Morris to the Lakers for a 2nd rounder just to see how he blends in a locker room with Lance, Rajon, and Javale. :)

Note: Not a serious suggestion; I don't think Boston accepts this. I just wanted to see if the numbers could work...

You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Throw in a protected pick and then trade Morris to the Lakers for a 2nd rounder just to see how he blends in a locker room with Lance, Rajon, and Javale. :)

Note: Not a serious suggestion; I don't think Boston accepts this. I just wanted to see if the numbers could work...

You must be registered for see images attach
Honestly, Boston doesn't need any more wings. Bender and a first rounder for Rozier might get it done. What they need is a big.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
It's too bad IT couldn't get a contract in the same range as that proposed Smart deal.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does Jimmy Butler still think he is a pg?

He is not happy in Minny. He is probably obtainable for less than we think given the other deals that have gone down.

I could think of worse things than a Butler/Booker starting in our back court.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does Jimmy Butler still think he is a pg?

He is not happy in Minny. He is probably obtainable for less than we think given the other deals that have gone down.

I could think of worse things than a Butler/Booker starting in our back court.
I'd be all down for that. Guy is a great all around player. The biggest knock on him is that he's too intense.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
Butler is a great player on court, but I'm afraid of what his influence would be on our young core because of his intensity.. He had a fallout with teammates both in Chicago and in Minnesota.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Butler is also in line for a huge payday this summer. He turned down a $100 million dollar offer for 4 years. It might have $110m but that's a lot to say no to. I know he wants out but he'll probably get similar offers in free agency. That's a lot to spend on another wing, especially when trying to experiment with him as a PG. I'd rather pay a real PG half of that and know they'll fit and won't potentially cause problems with Booker or Ayton.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Butler is also in line for a huge payday this summer. He turned down a $100 million dollar offer for 4 years. It might have $110m but that's a lot to say no to. I know he wants out but he'll probably get similar offers in free agency. That's a lot to spend on another wing, especially when trying to experiment with him as a PG. I'd rather pay a real PG half of that and know they'll fit and won't potentially cause problems with Booker or Ayton.
That's legit. If we found a pg through another avenue, then Butler makes sense, with the obvious hole still there then the questionable positional fit combined with being perhaps too intense is too risky to blow our wad on.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There's a lot that fit that bill but none that I'm aware of that are available except for maybe Goran. That's why I said I'd rather just deal with the less than perfect point guards we have now and look to find a better option in the future. I'm okay with settling for a slight step up (George Hill for example), as long as the cost isn't prohibitive. But I don't want to go in search of a mono-skilled pg.

This is how I feel. This year is a transition year anyway. Let's just roll with what we have. I'd rather wait for a better option next year. Much more salary room will be available .

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be all down for that. Guy is a great all around player. The biggest knock on him is that he's too intense.
Butler has no patience for lack of effort on both sides. He was frustrated with KAT and Wiggins for just that. I think that might be why KAT is hesitating in Minny right now.

Butler, KG, Rondo. All the same personality. They can make all the difference in winning if the other players take up the challenge, but many don't.

I don't want to just roll with what we have because this is a transition year. But, there might be merit in pausing to see where we truly are after all the changes. After all, there have been big changes this summer.

New coach hired
Ayton
Mikal
Ariza
Knight back

That right there is a new coach and potentially three new starters.

Len gone
Ulis gone

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Ferrell had agreed to terms with the Mavs and now is backing out. I'd be interested if you could bring him in on a one year deal. If Brandon Knight falters (and I think there's a good chance of that), Shaq and Okobo are likely not ready to start. Yogi would be an option with some upside. He's a better shooter and younger than Canaan.

Knight Ferrell Okobo
Booker Reed
Jackson Warren Bridges
Ariza Bender Chriss
Ayton Chandler

Last two roster spots would be between Harrison, Daniels, and Dudley. (I'd put them in that order even if the Suns do bring in another point guard.)

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Whoa. I post that Dudley should be out of a roster spot and an hour later he's traded.

Coincidence?

Of course. But still...I'm just one correct moment away from being as accurate as a broken clock today!

Last edited:

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

He would be a fantastic addition, but I don't see why the 76ers would move on from him unless the Suns gave up way too much. All the reasons the Suns would want him make him an attractive option for a contender like Philadelphia. Even if Simmons becomes the full time point guard and Fultz shines, he's a valuable guy to have on their roster imho.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Suns reportedly have $3.2 million in cap space now, after the Dudley trade, according to ESPN. That's projected to go up a little bit after the buyout for Darrell Arthur is complete. They may be able to make enough room to trade for Milos Teledosic from the Clippers. If they can trade Daniels, $3.5 million salary, in a salary dump or even swap him for Milos, we could absorb the different in our cap space.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41024135-4

I've seen Daniels deal reported as being as low as $3.2 million and as high as $3.6. I don't see that half a million being enough to stop a trade from happening. If you factor in the buyout of Arthur, I think it's safe to say we'll knock a half of a million off the cap number which means Daniels half a million discrepancy isn't an issue.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA