2018 MLB All Star game

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
A move that will endear Manager Dave Roberts (of the hated Dodgers) to D-backs fans. Roberts is a good guy, despite his crew invading our pool and Yasiel Puig peeing in it.

Wouldn't it be great if Baez and Arenado get on base in the top of the first and Goldy powers a HR to right field? Then drives in another in his second at-bat and gets named MVP of the winning National League team? Even though Nationals fans (and sportswriters) will be hoping for Bryce Harper to be the one.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
With the various weather patterns during baseball season throughout the Major Leagues (rain, snow, humidity and even Dodger Stadium registering over 100 degrees on the field), I don't understand how every stadium built since the Astrodome has not been an enclosed facility.

For the sake of the leagues, the players and the fans, standardization of conditions should apply. Would anyone build a new basketball arena without a roof? :)

Football -- that's another story. The whole image of the NFL is macho.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the various weather patterns during baseball season throughout the Major Leagues (rain, snow, humidity and even Dodger Stadium registering over 100 degrees on the field), I don't understand how every stadium built since the Astrodome has not been an enclosed facility.

For the sake of the leagues, the players and the fans, standardization of conditions should apply. Would anyone build a new basketball arena without a roof? :)

Baseball - the only professional sport where field dimensions are not set by the league.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Sometimes I only watch games because of where they’re played and what the weather is.

I only watch indoor games if I really care who wins.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
2nd Time up, Goldy Walks
And Goldy faced lefties in those first two AB's. Man, I was hoping he'd make contact.

'Still a close game. 2-1 American League and it's only the top of the 5th.

But, as Buck and Smoltz said, the AL has a much more potent hitting roster.

Although the NL is on a losing streak, they're tied for All Star victories.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yadier Molina pinch hitting for Goldy just missed a HR to CF.

And the rain is starting.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A NL homerun by Story to tie the score, and Segura with a 3-run HR after Joey Votto blew a simple foul popup near the dugout for an error. The big blow of the game. Crap! AL leads 5-2 in the 8th. They are definitely the hitters league.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yelich with a solo shot for the NL and it's 5-3. All of the scoring so far coming on home runs.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Isn't Segura an ex Dback, as is Martinez, as is Scherzer?:(

Anyone else i forgot?

Just heard Trevor Bauer's name mentioned.
I guess I need to mention the manager, Hinch.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Scooter Gennett, the last position player on the bench of either team, with a 2-run pinch hit HR for the NL. Tie game and it's extra innings, unless they call it a tie.

Nope, it's the top of the 10th. And Bregman hits the 8th HR of the game -- an All Star game record. And Springer with a solo, too. Now 7-5 AL. Two Astro HR's. Stripling of the Dodgers giving up the 2 HR's and then two singles. Still, all of the runs coming on HR's.

Neither D-back pitcher has been in the game so far.

And a sac fly to make it 8-5.

Finally, the bottom of the 10th.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Votto with a first pitch HR and it's 8-6. The wind has stopped blowing in. And that is how it ends in the 10th. All HR's and one sac fly.

So much for strategy in MLB. Five HR's for each side. Which is why I have changed my mind and want to see the NL adopt the DH. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Alex Bregman of the Astros was selected MVP of the game.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose