Update: David Johnson sits out, wants contract extension

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Because he has earned it? Because he is the top RB, possibly even the best player in the NFL if he is healthy?

Why not keep him happy is the better question.

And if he's willing to take a good deal that doesn't break the bank, great! He's earned it, and giving him a long-term deal with some extra cheddar is absolutely the right call. If he decides to go the Bell route, then he can shove it and take the franchise tag. I mean, it's not like you just want to give him anything he wants, to the detriment of the rest of the team, right DCR?

And pay through the nose for the guy to sit there and hold out, and be a malcontent. The Steelers are extremely lucky to have Roethlisberger and Brown - two legit NFL superstars that could win 9 games with me at RB. We lose games from David Johnson next year, and we have Josh Rosen, Chase Edmonds, and Christian Kirk as our top 3 offensive weapons. 3 players who have yet to play an NFL snap.

The Steelers haven't lost games from Bell, save from him getting suspended. And DJ doesn't strike me as the kind of jackass malcontent as Bell. Trust me, I'm here in the 'Burgh--Bell is a complete *******.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if he's willing to take a good deal that doesn't break the bank, great! He's earned it, and giving him a long-term deal with some extra cheddar is absolutely the right call. If he decides to go the Bell route, then he can shove it and take the franchise tag. I mean, it's not like you just want to give him anything he wants, to the detriment of the rest of the team, right DCR?

The Steelers haven't lost games from Bell, save from him getting suspended. And DJ doesn't strike me as the kind of jackass malcontent as Bell. Trust me, I'm here in the 'Burgh--Bell is a complete *******.

I agree. IMO the deal should be around $9M per year. If DJ insists on more then the Cards should let him play out the contract and tag him 2 years.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I just don't get this thinking, given the lack of wear and tear on this guy's legs.

I think I said it in this thread already, but we're spoiled as fans right now. Does anyone not remember that Adrian Murrell, Beanie Wells, and Edgerrin James are the only 3 backs to eclipse 1,000 yards outside of David Johnson in Arizona Cardinals history?

That's not even five guys. In nearly 30 years. And now we have one of the league's premier backs. These guys don't just come along all the time, and we could lock up THE key asset for our rookie QB at a presumed discount in his most developmental years.

You forgot Ronald Moore and Garrison Hearst. Both gained 1000 during a season.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think so. I still believe the deal is done before TC. I think its the verbiage and incentives being ironed out still.

When have the Cards ever had the BEST RB in the league or even been in that conversation? The guy is the best offensive player on our team. He has a small window to make as much money as he can. People cry when we let good players walk or they leave in FA and now some guys want him to play out his final year? We dont need this crap hanging over our head for the next 3 seasons. Get a deal done with protection from injury and maybe incentives. If he balls out this year we probably have to pay him more than he would sign for at the moment.

The fact of the matter is any one of you would do the exact same thing in his shoes. Wether you admit it or not.
John David Crow, Johnny Roland, OJ Anderson, Garrison Hearst...

That said - you have a point (Historically, the Card franchise has tended to surrender All Star talent all too easily).

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

My bad, I confused his first suspension and a holdout. But we'll see what happens this season. "Lost games" can still mean the player being out of football shape, though. The whole point is that the tag pisses players off, and leaves us in a tenuous position where we can lose them, or the crucial practice time to get our young QB in sync with the guy.

You forgot Ronald Moore and Garrison Hearst. Both gained 1000 during a season.
Good point. Still, if you up the number to rushed for more than 1,100 yards, it's officially just Edge and DJ. And no RB has ever contributed 500 receiving yards in a season besides him. Much less done it while also running for over 1,000.

DJ is far and beyond the best RB this team has had in Arizona, and thinking you can just snag a guy in the 3rd round again is ridiculous thinking. Not when your offense is on the cusp of having absolutely zero proven weapons.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
It's a different world now. The brutal hits these guys take time after time add up quickly. Not DJ's fault, just the way it its.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Dangerous game for David Johnson if he chooses to hold out and tried to get paid "like a player" than by positional market value. Arizona can franchise him twice for a reasonable dollar figure, and by the time he's done being franchised, he'll be 28 going on 29. And if he sustains one more moderate-to-severe injury, his stock will plummet.
This

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
so...does it make keim look bad if a deal gets done in two days during his suspension?

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so...does it make keim look bad if a deal gets done in two days during his suspension?

The Cardinals already have a Number that they are willing to give to David as an extension. There is no need for them to go over that number since DJ is still under contract and they have the franchise tag they can use. The Cards hold all of the Cards in this situation. If DJ sits out Training camp he can be fined.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Cardinals already have a Number that they are willing to give to David as an extension. There is no need for them to go over that number since DJ is still under contract and they have the franchise tag they can use. The Cards hold all of the Cards in this situation. If DJ sits out Training camp he can be fined.

Yeah. The parameters of DJ's deal are pretty defined. It's basically like a bond at this point: He's gonna get $2.4M (or whatever) this year, and prolly $11M or so in 2019 (the franchise tag number). If he wants three more years of security on that, the Cards should get a discount.

The correct extension for DJ is probably four years (it'll be 5 that automatically expires after 4 for salary cap purposes), $60M with about $25 guaranteed in the next two years and maybe $5M more coming this season. Cards would be able to get out after Year 3 for like $5M in dead space.

Keim is a talent evaluator GM. I think it's pretty clear he hands off the contract responsibilities to Disner and others.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most Indispensable offensive players who are not a QB:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...able-offensive-players-ezekiel-elliott-on-top

2) David Johnson, RB, Arizona Cardinals

Like Elliott in Dallas, Johnson's value to Arizona became quite clear during his abbreviated campaign last fall.

In 2016, Johnson led the NFL in scrimmage yards (2,118) and touchdowns (20), while the Cardinals ranked sixth in scoring and ninth in total offense. In 2017, Johnson missed nearly the entire season with a wrist injury, and Arizona dropped to 25th in scoring and 22nd in total offense. No coincidence there.

Johnson is a Swiss Army Knife superstar. Earlier this offseason on my SiriusXM Radio show, "Schein On Sports," the Cards back said he expects 1,500 yards running and 1,000 receiving. I'm not going to bet against him.

Johnson's presence in the backfield will allow Arizona to break in rookie QB Josh Rosen. And simply put, David Johnson puts the Cardinals in the conversation.

Reaction score
:idea: Oh, yinz mean jag-off!

Reaction score
I thought ****** was a Chicago term? First time I heard it was when former classmates came back to town from Western Illinois University. They got the term from Chicago classmates.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought ****** was a Chicago term? First time I heard it was when former classmates came back to town from Western Illinois University. They got the term from Chicago classmates.

never realized ****** was regional dialect. Heard it in Phoenix all the time.

Stout

Reaction score

No, sorry, you thought wrong. It's Pittsburghese all the way. Nobody's taking ****** from us! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jag off

Probably because of the large number of Chicago transplants. I'm from southern Illinois where they still have somewhat of a drawl.

Probably because of the large number of PITTSBURGH transplants. When the steel industry began to fail, Pittsburghers went everywhere. It's why you (sadly) see so many Pittsburgh Steelers fans around the world, let alone the country.

Reaction score
No, sorry, you thought wrong. It's Pittsburghese all the way. Nobody's taking ****** from us! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jag off

Probably because of the large number of PITTSBURGH transplants. When the steel industry began to fail, Pittsburghers went everywhere. It's why you (sadly) see so many Pittsburgh Steelers fans around the world, let alone the country.

I first heard the term around 1981 in my hometown from guys that roomed with guys from Chicago. Here in Phoenix I have yet to meet someone from Pittsburgh but I have 3 employees that are from Chicago. Doesn't really matter to me where the term started. Maybe someone from Chicago moved to the Burgh & got it going there :D

Stout

Reaction score
I first heard the term around 1981 in my hometown from guys that roomed with guys from Chicago. Here in Phoenix I have yet to meet someone from Pittsburgh but I have 3 employees that are from Chicago. Doesn't really matter to me where the term started. Maybe someone from Chicago moved to the Burgh & got it going there :D

No ****** from Chicago would ever move to da 'Burgh...um, uh...Wait, what are we talking about again? :D