Larry Fitzgerald: If I play beyond 2018, it will be for Cardinals

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyway back on topic. Glad he wants to stay in Arizona and not end his career in someplace like Minnesota.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The sad thing about foorball is that not many players have a lengthy career and end up playing for only 1 team. A good many of the greats ended their careers on teams other than the one they had their greatest success with. Here's a list of the ones I can think of and the teams they ended their careers with(not counting the 1 day contract and then retire):

Emmitt Smith(Cowboys)-Cardinals
Franco Harris(Steelers)-Seahawks
Brett Favre(Packers)-Vikings(Yes, Favre started in Atlanta but he had his greatest success in GB. He also made a pit stop with the Jets)
Joe Montana(49ers)-Chiefs
Earl Campbell(Oilers)-Saints
Jerry Rice(49ers)-Seahawks(he did sign with the Broncos but didn't play a down with them)
Johnny Unitas(Colts)-Chargers
Peyton Manning(Colts)-Broncos
Joe Namath(Jets)-Rams
Tony Dorsett(Cowboys)-Broncos
Thurman Thomas(Bills)-Dolphins

Of course players like Elway, Kelly, Marino, etc played for one team(yes, Kelly played in the USFL but that was before joining the Bills) so to have Fitz get drafted, play, and retire a Cardinal will be special.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The sad thing about foorball is that not many players have a lengthy career and end up playing for only 1 team. A good many of the greats ended their careers on teams other than the one they had their greatest success with. Here's a list of the ones I can think of and the teams they ended their careers with(not counting the 1 day contract and then retire):

Brett Favre(Packers)-Vikings(Yes, Favre started in Atlanta but he had his greatest success in GB. He also made a pit stop with the Jets)
Jerry Rice(49ers)-Seahawks(he did sign with the Broncos but didn't play a down with them)
Joe Namath(Jets)-Rams

Of course players like Elway, Kelly, Marino, etc played for one team(yes, Kelly played in the USFL but that was before joining the Bills) so to have Fitz get drafted, play, and retire a Cardinal will be special.

Rice played more with the Raiders than Seahawks/Broncos

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, it would be great if Rosen shows enough to make Larry think he's the real deal and extend his career to try and get back to the Bowl.
This is a crossroads year for Fitz. It's his 15th year and is 34 years old. Not old by mortal man standards but as a WR, not many were able to stay on top at this age. If he has another productive year, he might stick around but if he's #2 in yards, there won't be much he needs to prove. He needs to have an insane year to get to #2 in receptions(he's about 90 short right now) so he might want to reach that. But, yeah, he's looking like he'll be one of those who are one of the greatest never to win a title.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
*sigh* I specifically said who they ended their careers with. Rice didn't end his career with the Raiders just as Favre didn't end his career with the Jets.

I would say he had a cup of coffee with the Seahawks and really ended his career with the Raiders :p

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Physically, I think Fitz can go 3-4 more years...he just needs to keep the desire burning. Heck, he can maybe play to 40 if his mind stays positive as his body slows down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Joe Namath(Jets)-Rams

Yes, it will. And, I have zero doubt either man, Fitz or Mike B, will break their promise to each other that Larry will always be a Cardinal. If Fitz declines too much, he will be aware of it more than anyone else. And, he will never make a sad spectacle of himself like everyone except for Peyton, Montana and Favre, on that list did.

I loved Emmitt's last season with us. The guy was a warrior. And, he could have a wooden leg but if you gave him the ball at the goal line he was money. But the saddest post game interview I have ever seen was Emmitt breaking down and crying because he broke his shoulder and had a terrible game against Dallas. That was in his first year with us.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Yes, it will. And, I have zero doubt either man, Fitz or Mike B, will break their promise to each other that Larry will always be a Cardinal. If Fitz declines too much, he will be aware of it more than anyone else. And, he will never make a sad spectacle of himself like everyone except for Peyton, Montana and Favre, on that list did.

I loved Emmitt's last season with us. The guy was a warrior. And, he could have a wooden leg but if you gave him the ball at the goal line he was money. But the saddest post game interview I have ever seen was Emmitt breaking down and crying because he broke his shoulder and had a terrible game against Dallas. That was in his first year with us.

I also luv the correlating Emmitt Cowboy rookie and final Cardinal season stats... both 937 yards rushing, and why I still wear my Cardinal Emmitt Smith jersey with an all time rushing patch to piss Cowboy fans off

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also luv the correlating Emmitt Cowboy rookie and final Cardinal season stats... both 937 yards rushing, and why I still wear my Cardinal Emmitt Smith jersey with an all time rushing patch to piss Cowboy fans off

Did not know JSG! Thanks!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Fitz has been paid, he is still playing at a very high level, he may want to cement his #2 stats forever. He has been loyal here but has also collected more $ than he could have anywhere else. I would continue paying him to be a Cardinal but he has not given up any cash, ever.
You must be registered for see images attach

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The saddest thing for me for a great player finishing up on a different team than the one he because great on was Willie Mays. I never got to see him in his prime but I remember him as a Met and it was a sad sight to see.