Do you want Kawhi?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Woj is saying the Suns are among several teams involved in trade talks involving Kawhi, but the question is do you even want him?

Before all this BS happened I would of have given my left .... To get a talent like Kawhi on the Suns. He becomes the single best player to play for the franchise since Barkley was in his prime

But now I honestly don't know if I even want him on this team. No doubting the talent but man he seems like a huge headcase.

Do you want him? What would you give up for him?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure Leonard is not a one year rental... that he is not planning to go to LA.

Do you have a link @Finito ?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone excluding booker, ayton, jackson

I'd throw Jackson into the mix. Only two people I'd protect are Booker/Ayton.

But he would have to sign an extension first. That's just too big of a roll of the dice without it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

But he would have to sign an extension first. That's just too big of a roll of the dice without it.
I would protect Booker, Ayton and Bridges. I am just not sure about Jackson after that dismal summer league performance. But I am also just not sure about Kahwi.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Spurs are sort of stuck. They really cannot keep Kahwi because of the bad blood, and if they did manage to keep him, do they really want to sign him to a supermax deal? Maybe a max deal, but not a supermax. That said, they need to get some young blood.

This is a very similar situation to Cousins in player value etc.

NO traded Hield, Tyreke, Galloway (cut), first rounder, second rounder for Cousins. It was a steal, and would have ended up being more of a steal if Cousins had not been injured and had resigned with the Pels.

It seems to me that a similar deal for Kahwi would be something like Warren, Jackson, Suns 2019 first, Suns 2019 second. Actually that package of player and picks is BETTER than what NO gave up. It's a lot to give up for a 1-year rental, and even if Kahwi says he will resign here, there is no guarantee that he will. But it is a lot less than what the Spurs want. They have not managed to move him yet, so who knows.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Yeah Booker and Ayton are the cornerstones right now.

Jackson could go, since he is a cracked out homeless man's version of Kawhi. :p

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Kawhi averaged 3.5 APG 16-17 season. Knights career avg is 4.3. So there you go, PGOF.......lol

Only is if he signs an extension and we don't over pay. He could turn out to be a disaster for team chemistry.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Nope. I want no part of someone who works himself out of San Antonio. There is something seriously wrong with him. Even if he were to sign an extension, I wouldn't want him here. He has a history of refusing to play while under contract, demanding trade, etc.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd consider signing him as a free agent next summer, largely because it would mean he wants to be here, but I wouldn't give up assets for him. I don't see how you can trust the guy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would a player want out of San Antonio? He's their franchise player, they've been willing to pay him. So money and playing time are out of the equation. No other player has asked out of San Antonio before. They are contenders, so long as Pop is coaching, and I think they stand as good of shot as anyone at knocking out Golden State. That's if they get a healthy Kawhi back though. So it's more than likely personal why he wants out and that's fine but the front office would need to learn why, exactly, he wants out of San Antonio before they make a trade for him. If they deem it's reasonable, so be it, but I can't see many reasons that make sense.

With no extension it's not even a conversation though. Booker and Ayton are off the table completely. Not even big on trading Jackson but Kawhi with an extension is worth losing Jackson. A front court pairing of those 2 at forward would be awesome to see, defensively, but offensively that's asking Booker and Ayton to cover a lot of ground.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope. I want no part of someone who works himself out of San Antonio. There is something seriously wrong with him. Even if he were to sign an extension, I wouldn't want him here. He has a history of refusing to play while under contract, demanding trade, etc.
I sure see your point. McD hasn't done so hot working with those types either.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

I agree with you... not sure I would be too enthusiastic about KL here under any circumstance, short of us signing him as a FA... or getting him for a song in a trade (which isn't happening). Giving up multiple assets for him gives me pause - even if none of them are that great individually (no way I would give up Ayton or Booker in any case).

And not a chance in Hades I would EVER under any circumstance trade for him WITHOUT a signed extension... unless it was maybe for something like Knight straight up (again, never happening). Otherwise, completely idiotic to trade anything for him.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Genuine superstars who are young don't hit the trade market often and, if they do they have question marks surrounding them.

The Suns have been trying to acquire a superstar since the end of the Nash era with no luck.

I find it crazy that many just dismiss pursuing Kawhi because of his problems with the Spurs. I'm not as concerned about that as I am the fact that he may only be a one year rental.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'd consider signing him as a free agent next summer, largely because it would mean he wants to be here, but I wouldn't give up assets for him. I don't see how you can trust the guy.
On the other hand ... I would not consider signing him as a free agent next summer, whether he wants to be here or not. Because, as you said, you can't trust the guy.

First and foremost, it is about disruption of chemistry, regardless of the cost.

Charles was nowhere near the risk that Leonard is.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On the other hand ... I would not consider signing him as a free agent next summer, whether he wants to be here or not. Because, as you said, you can't trust the guy.

First and foremost, it is about disruption of chemistry, regardless of the cost.

Charles was nowhere near the risk that Leonard is.

Your really forgetting how bad it was for Barkley was in Philly he wanted out in the worse way and the fans wanted him out

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jackson
Bender
filler
Bucks pick

About as far I’d go. You can bet San Antonio would demand our 2020 pick in case Kawhi left.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose