Update: David Johnson sits out, wants contract extension

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Thinking the Keim situation is going to delay the negotiations a bit.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Thinking the Keim situation is going to delay the negotiations a bit.
That'd be dumb. Why would this happen? If the progress has been made that many on this thread apparenely believe, Michael Disner should be able to bring it home.

There's no reason to think that Keim is a master salary cap and contracts manager, anyway.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dangerous game for David Johnson if he chooses to hold out and tried to get paid "like a player" than by positional market value. Arizona can franchise him twice for a reasonable dollar figure, and by the time he's done being franchised, he'll be 28 going on 29. And if he sustains one more moderate-to-severe injury, his stock will plummet.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is the RB position included with another position for the tag applied or is the designated salary higher due to this being the second tag? I ask this as it seems the bell tag is a bit higher than the avg top 5 salaries of RBs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Is the RB position included with another position for the tag applied or is the designated salary higher due to this being the second tag? I ask this as it seems the bell tag is a bit higher than the avg top 5 salaries of RBs.

Because this is his second (I think) year under the tag, his tag number increases by a certain percentage (20%?). Also, because it's the exclusive-rights tag, he gets a little boost.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Dangerous game for David Johnson if he chooses to hold out and tried to get paid "like a player" than by positional market value. Arizona can franchise him twice for a reasonable dollar figure, and by the time he's done being franchised, he'll be 28 going on 29. And if he sustains one more moderate-to-severe injury, his stock will plummet.

Do we know that the one-year Franchise Tag Salary is for the RB position in 2018? My guess is that it's pretty significant...certainly well above the salary DJ will earn this year. So if the Cards were to tag DJ next year, he would still see quite a large pay increase, which of course, does nothing to solve the issue this season.
But I guess the Cards could actually franchise DJ in 2019 and 2020, which would give DJ a very sizeable payout for those two seasons...I am sure DJ would be extremely pissed as there would be nothing guaranteed for him beyond 2020 in that scenario... but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see it play out this way.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Yep. I'd be fine giving him a fair deal extension--he's earned a bit of a payday--but if he wants a huge contract, I have no problem franchising him for the next two seasons, if necessary.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I was hoping we could get a deal done with him for about 10 million a year, but if he won't take it then by all means let him play cheap this year and then franchise him for the next two years. After three more years we can draft another RB. DJ won't have many more top seasons left in him after that anyway.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I was hoping we could get a deal done with him for about 10 million a year, but if he won't take it then by all means let him play cheap this year and then franchise him for the next two years. After three more years we can draft another RB. DJ won't have many more top seasons left in him after that anyway.
I just don't get this thinking, given the lack of wear and tear on this guy's legs.

I think I said it in this thread already, but we're spoiled as fans right now. Does anyone not remember that Adrian Murrell, Beanie Wells, and Edgerrin James are the only 3 backs to eclipse 1,000 yards outside of David Johnson in Arizona Cardinals history?

That's not even five guys. In nearly 30 years. And now we have one of the league's premier backs. These guys don't just come along all the time, and we could lock up THE key asset for our rookie QB at a presumed discount in his most developmental years.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't get this thinking, given the lack of wear and tear on this guy's legs.

I think I said it in this thread already, but we're spoiled as fans right now. Does anyone not remember that Adrian Murrell, Beanie Wells, and Edgerrin James are the only 3 backs to eclipse 1,000 yards outside of David Johnson in Arizona Cardinals history?

That's not even five guys. In nearly 30 years. And now we have one of the league's premier backs. These guys don't just come along all the time, and we could lock up THE key asset for our rookie QB at a presumed discount in his most developmental years.

+1 Pay the man while Rosen is still on a rookie deal and that will give us plenty of time to decide to do with him later.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I do. Wear or tear in the pros or not, he's been playing football, and he's a running back that, after those 3 years, will be quite old for a running back.

If he's willing to take a reasonable deal, even a bit of a generous deal, that's great. Otherwise, we franchise him next year.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I do. Wear or tear in the pros or not, he's been playing football, and he's a running back that, after those 3 years, will be quite old for a running back.

If he's willing to take a reasonable deal, even a bit of a generous deal, that's great. Otherwise, we franchise him next year.
And pay through the nose for the guy to sit there and hold out, and be a malcontent. The Steelers are extremely lucky to have Roethlisberger and Brown - two legit NFL superstars that could win 9 games with me at RB. We lose games from David Johnson next year, and we have Josh Rosen, Chase Edmonds, and Christian Kirk as our top 3 offensive weapons. 3 players who have yet to play an NFL snap.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
+1 Pay the man while Rosen is still on a rookie deal and that will give us plenty of time to decide to do with him later.
Why? He is due 1.8 million this year and we can tag him for 2 years and cut him if he does not perform or gets hurt? When was the last time he played? He will be close to 29 and have no leverage then. It is a business.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? He is due 1.8 million this year and we can tag him for 2 years and cut him if he does not perform or gets hurt? When was the last time he played? He will be close to 29 and have no leverage then. It is a business.

Because he has earned it? Because he is the top RB, possibly even the best player in the NFL if he is healthy?

Why not keep him happy is the better question.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
8.5 Million was the last big RB worth... DJ will not get anything higher than that from the Cards, after 2 tags for about 27 Millions (maybe not even sure if that stands because RB is a underpayed position and Bell doesn't get a 14.5 million deal next year.) so maybe DJ will be whise to get 4 years 36 Million and 20 of that garanteed.That would be a super deal for him now ...

But we will see, in an era where a 2nd or a 3rd round RB can be a top 10 RB ... no one wants to pay for it ...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave