North Rim of the Grand Canyon

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Heading there soon for a week's basecamping. Does anyone have any tips or testimonials? Places, features not to miss (or to definitely avoid)?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Heading there soon for a week's basecamping. Does anyone have any tips or testimonials? Places, features not to miss (or to definitely avoid)?

Point Imperial and Cape Royal are amazing for sunrise and sunset. The North Rim is much more rugged than the South Rim. If you have a 4wd vehicle you'll be able to get to places like Toroweap which is kindof a rough drive but a HUGE reward at the end.

I mean, going to the North Rim, everyone is going to ask you; OMG did you do the sky walk? Honestly, the sky walk will have a 1hr+ wait during summer and I really didn't think it was worth it. Just walk up to the edge of the rim and look down, same rush without the wait and without paying for it.

Another place I'd HIGHLY recommend since you'll be in the area and it's basically on your way; Horshoe Bend and Marble canyon.

Go to Horshoe bend at sunrise or sunset because it's HOT out there during summer and the hike is by no means long 3/4 of a mile, but it's uphill on a sandy slope and they heat sneaks up on many the overconfident hiker.

A really cool thing you can do, because Horshoe bend is always open.... If you have a full moon you guys should go out there at night. I once hiked out to Horshoe Bend at about 1am on my way to Utah and there was NOBODY there but me and whatever wild animals that were thinking about eating me. It was so freaking cool. I've taken better pictures of Horshoe bend than this, but I love this one in the middle of the night, it's a super cool memory.

Just remember most of all, the North Rim (Horseshoe bend is public land) is all tribal land and they are pretty strict about staying on paths and SUPER strict about staying on roads.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Also, all the "cool" stuff up in that area; The Wave, Antelope Canyon, Havasu falls. Also all on Tribal land and require a special permit and a guide to go visit them, which is why I (even as a photographer) have never bothered to do it because I absolutely hate guided tours.

Havasu falls takes atleast a year to get on the list and get a reservation, but Antelope Canyon and The wave you should be able to walk up and join a group.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I found this pic too! I took a self portrait of me sitting on the edge of Horseshoe bend in the middle of the night. :)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Bert - you are thinking of the West Rim where the Skywalk and the tribal land is.

Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend are tribal land as well, and on the way to the North Rim.

The North Rim itself is all National Park.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm sure Horseshoe bend is public land it's part of the Grand Canyon Trust, managed by the NPS. Like, it has to be otherwise you'd need an access permit. It's surrounded by tribal land but, hell, Idk. I just know you can go there freely without any permits or anything. :)

You're 100% right about the skywalk tho. IDK why I though it was on the north rim.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some great stuff @Bert.

I've been to the Grand Canyon but it sort of went like went like this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Point Imperial and Cape Royal are amazing for sunrise and sunset. The North Rim is much more rugged than the South Rim. If you have a 4wd vehicle you'll be able to get to places like Toroweap which is kindof a rough drive but a HUGE reward at the end.

I mean, going to the North Rim, everyone is going to ask you; OMG did you do the sky walk? Honestly, the sky walk will have a 1hr+ wait during summer and I really didn't think it was worth it. Just walk up to the edge of the rim and look down, same rush without the wait and without paying for it.

Another place I'd HIGHLY recommend since you'll be in the area and it's basically on your way; Horshoe Bend and Marble canyon.

Go to Horshoe bend at sunrise or sunset because it's HOT out there during summer and the hike is by no means long 3/4 of a mile, but it's uphill on a sandy slope and they heat sneaks up on many the overconfident hiker.

A really cool thing you can do, because Horshoe bend is always open.... If you have a full moon you guys should go out there at night. I once hiked out to Horshoe Bend at about 1am on my way to Utah and there was NOBODY there but me and whatever wild animals that were thinking about eating me. It was so freaking cool. I've taken better pictures of Horshoe bend than this, but I love this one in the middle of the night, it's a super cool memory.

Just remember most of all, the North Rim (Horseshoe bend is public land) is all tribal land and they are pretty strict about staying on paths and SUPER strict about staying on roads.

So, I've been to horsehoe bend and antelope canyon, aren't those well past the north rim? I mean, I didn't take a normal route to the canyon when I went there but I was by Utah, I would think that is an hour north of the north rim?

Im very curious of this toroweap destination that requires 4wd though

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
This is relevant to my interests. I have never been but it is definitely on the list of places I want to go.

Same. We drove through the North Rim on the way home from St George last month and we decided we need to come back to camp. It's gonna be a long drive from Phx, but it looks like no other spot in AZ. The forest wasn't open yet, but the main roads were pretty awesome.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So, I've been to horsehoe bend and antelope canyon, aren't those well past the north rim? I mean, I didn't take a normal route to the canyon when I went there but I was by Utah, I would think that is an hour north of the north rim?

Im very curious of this toroweap destination that requires 4wd though

The drive to the North Rim takes you right by Page and over Marble canyon. Horsehoe bend is MAYBE a 20min detour from the 89 junction and 1000% percent worth it. Even coming from Utah you should've gone through page in most cases.

OP
OP
Cheesewater

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
The drive to the North Rim takes you right by Page and over Marble canyon. Horsehoe bend is MAYBE a 20min detour from the 89 junction and 1000% percent worth it. Even coming from Utah you should've gone through page in most cases.

Well, for me it's out of the way because I'm coming via Las Vegas...but maybe on the way back to Southern California, we'll head up through there to see those sights and then down through Flag. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Cheesewater

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Just got back from a week at Timp Point, North Rim. Fantastic! Those with suitable vehicles should make the trek to Point Sublime.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just went. A friend surprised me with a trip over the holidays. Got to go in with a private party it was reallly cool and akward for me since I'm not rich lol. Pics to come soon.