Suns Reputation

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have been working with the idea that our reputation is just garbage in the league.

And maybe it is with the veterans. The youth though...

Josh Jackson refuses to meet with Celtics so he comes to the Suns.

Ayton openly campaigning to be a Sun before the draft and then putting on the Suns hat after the draft.

Doncic's agent Billy Duffy saying he wants him to be Sun.

This isn't a "laughingstock" situation right now. It's a team where these kids grew up watching Steve Nash play and 7 seconds or less. They remember those Suns. They want to bring this franchise back and I love it.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
ESP what? I watch EJ and dudes on Fox Sports Arizona. Suns are doing fine there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One season of Booker, Jackson and #1, the Suns should be a landing spot for a top free agent.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a lot of it is Booker. His profile is pretty high and other NBA players constantly talk about him as a future superstar.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the "laughingstock" idea was overblown to start with. We were never as bad as some thought we were in terms of reputation. We'd dropped from the Colangelo years but I'd say we were middle of the pack, or slightly below, in regards to reputation. With Colangelo we could recruit top free agents because Jerry was a classy guy who sold players on Phoenix, now we don't have that sales person here and are appropriately judged, we're a team in a state that could provide great weather for players with passionate fans but we don't have a history of winning titles. Whoever wants to come here would need to know that they'd have to create their own legacy for the Suns, not rely on teams of the past, which could be attractive to some.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Win again and they will come. Look at what the Cardinals have done. They went from being arguably the worst organization in the NFL to being a class organization that players want to play for.

The Suns are in a position to set themselves up to be a team that takes over once the sun sets on the Warriors. With a core of Booker, Jackson, and likely Ayton, which young team will be better in the west?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yes, this is out best chance in 50 years to change our image of small market team in the desert. Phoenix is the most populated State capitol in the country.

It is up to the basketball minds to change their thinking first. Then the Press. Then the fans.

This should be our turning point. I hope we turn. And I hope that Sarver just keeps his mouth shut and goes along for the ride. What better way to feed his ego? And, ironically, make him look like a hero.

Sweet D

Reaction score
I think you are all fooling yourselves. Doncic and Ayton don’t “want to be Suns,” they both want to be the #1 pick. It has very little to do with the Suns, and everything to do with status and ego.

The Suns under Colangelo was a destination franchise, where top free agents agreed to play for less than market value. Sarver’s Suns haven’t succeeded in signing a single marquee free agent, and will likely have to overpay to get one. Remember, WE HAD THE WORST RECORD IN THE LEAGUE last year. No one wants to play for a loser, unless they are simply chasing money.

As for the Cardinals, winning didn’t turn them around, a change at the helm did. Winning followed the change. Is Sarver going away anytime soon?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think you are all fooling yourselves. Doncic and Ayton don’t “want to be Suns,” they both want to be the #1 pick. It has very little to do with the Suns, and everything to do with status and ego.

The Suns under Colangelo was a destination franchise, where top free agents agreed to play for less than market value. Sarver’s Suns haven’t succeeded in signing a single marquee free agent, and will likely have to overpay to get one. Remember, WE HAD THE WORST RECORD IN THE LEAGUE last year. No one wants to play for a loser, unless they are simply chasing money.

As for the Cardinals, winning didn’t turn them around, a change at the helm did. Winning followed the change. Is Sarver going away anytime soon?

I guarantee you that both of them would rather be #3 pick in Phoenix than a #1 in Sacramento or #2 in Atlanta. Hell, Luka's agent said he wanted him to go to the Suns in March. Ayton said he would love to play in Phoenix long before the Suns got the number one pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Ayton has lived in phx at some point in his life so I believe he’s at least somewhat of a suns fan.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Thanks to the success of the Sixers' "Process," being terrible for a few seasons doesn't carry much stigma anymore. Players know that that's how the league works: If you want a good chance of being good, you have to be willing to bottom out.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Thanks to the success of the Sixers' "Process," being terrible for a few seasons doesn't carry much stigma anymore. Players know that that's how the league works: If you want a good chance of being good, you have to be willing to bottom out.
It's also timing. The LeBron era is closing. He's now another piece (aka Durant) on a championship calliber team (ie..Philly?).

Boston and Philly are the breakout teams so far. Suns could be next with a few good moves.

Sweet D

Reaction score
I guarantee you that both of them would rather be #3 pick in Phoenix than a #1 in Sacramento or #2 in Atlanta. Hell, Luka's agent said he wanted him to go to the Suns in March. Ayton said he would love to play in Phoenix long before the Suns got the number one pick.

That's not a ringing endorsement of the Suns organization.

CHAPTER 7

Registered
Reaction score
Is it only me or I hear Taylor Swift going: Big reputation, big reputation
Ooh you and me we got big reputations, ah
And you heard about me, ooh

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rachel Nichols gives some insight into the Suns reputation around the league. Not as bad as it may seem.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rachel Nichols gives some insight into the Suns reputation around the league. Not as bad as it may seem.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You owe me for watching a minute of this. :D

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most ESPN personalities are. A lot of Hot Take hall of famers on that network.

Nothing gets on my nerves more than some talking head playing the hindsight is 20/20 game. Oh they took Alex Len when Giannis, Steven Adams and Gobbert were still on the board but none of those guys were considered top ten prospects and none even went in the top ten. Did Rachel Nichols know those guys would develop into the players they are now? She must be the greatest GM ever.

I can't stand that stuff

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Nothing gets on my nerves more than some talking head playing the hindsight is 20/20 game. Oh they took Alex Len when Giannis, Steven Adams and Gobbert were still on the board but none of those guys were considered top ten prospects and none even went in the top ten. Did Rachel Nichols know those guys would develop into the players they are now? She must be the greatest GM ever.

I can't stand that stuff
I love how she laughs at McDonough for all his lottery misses.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People really forget that the 76ers have missed on more than they've hit. Where is Okafor, Noel, Fultz looks like a bust.

But they hit on 2 guys and we have yet to see if Embiid can stay healthy