Is Paul Goldschmidt past his prime?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Exactly. Perhaps the title of the thread should have read, "Does Paul Goldschmidt deserve a big new contract?"
I think he will stay and sign a mutual agreeable contract. But you know other teams will throw money at him.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Home/Away Splits continue to be staggering:

Overall AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Home 46 7 9 4 1 0 3 16 2 20 0 0 .196 .422 .326 .748
Away 60 14 18 3 1 4 8 3 0 20 2 0 .300 .333 .583 .916
guess the humidor sapped our best offensive talent

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Even if it means grossly overpaying for production and hampering the teams ability to make moves in an attempt to build a winning team?
yeah, ask the angels how that's working out for them with pujols. terribad

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's getting to be time to move Goldy down in the order, maybe to the 6th spot. He sure as hell isn't doing the team any good hitting 3rd.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think it's getting to be time to move Goldy down in the order, maybe to the 6th spot. He sure as hell isn't doing the team any good hitting 3rd.

Maybe move Peralta into the three spot.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think that would have negative results. When Lamb comes back, we'll have him and Souza in the heart of the order.

We need our best hitters hitting 3 and 4. That's Peralta and Pollock. Temporarily until we get healthy as you say. I think Goldy could use time off. Maybe bring Walker back.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK Goldie make us take back everything we've been saying about you

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Goldie would've crushed that hanging slide or 2018 gold he swings and misses

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok....Goldy is 3 for 34 (sub .100) in his last 9 games and has a goose egg for hits in May. Move him down or sit him down. Still "Da Man" on defense, but can't hit a ball off a tee right now. Do we have a hitting coach?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
When is Lamb coming back?
They need to forbid him from sliding head first.

Lamb coming back and Goldy batting in a diff position might wake him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Hmm... The thought of moving Goldy down the lineup is an interesting one. It could be a good thing, or it could really hurt the team in the long run. I say this because I still believe that Goldy's problem is 90% mental. He started to show some flashes of the old Goldy a few weeks ago, so I think the physical ability is still there, but he is now completely uncomfortable at the plate. I'm sure he wants so badly to contribute that he is thinking way too much.

With his history of prolonged slumps followed by torrents of hits, I think the focus should be on keeping him in the best mental state possible to succeed. Not knowing Goldy personally, I don't know whether moving him down the order would crush him or relax him by taking some of the pressure off for a while. That in mind, those who do know him need to put him where he will have the best chance of success because, despite our current winning ways, this season goes nowhere without contribution from America's First Baseman.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been exchanging messages with a Dbacks writer on this - he believes that moving Goldy down in the lineup would cause a clubhouse revolt.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Been exchanging messages with a Dbacks writer on this - he believes that moving Goldy down in the lineup would cause a clubhouse revolt.

I don't think it would matter where he bats in the line-up... This is a crash of epic proportions. And as best as I can tell, it's all mental. It actually appears as if he has entirely forgotten how to hit a baseball. His swing, his instincts...totally off. He takes pitches he should be hammering. When he does swing, they are the most pathetic, off-balance swings that you rarely see at the professional level, let alone in the Bigs.
I hope the angle I took in the other thread I started is actually true... :(

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bickley and Murriata suggested he take the bullpen cart to his at-bats. Wouldn't hurt...lol

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok....Goldy is 3 for 34 (sub .100) in his last 9 games and has a goose egg for hits in May. Move him down or sit him down. Still "Da Man" on defense, but can't hit a ball off a tee right now. Do we have a hitting coach?

Now 4 for 37 in his last 10 games. Has 1 hit in May.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He can have his slump now but if the others go into a funk he better snap out of when they need him. If he continues this way, don’t extend him and let him ride out his contract and let him go unless there is a hell of a trade deal on the table.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Here is an interesting article about Goldy. I think Moore is more optimistic than most of us.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...umping-paul-goldschmidt-going-fine/592288002/
"Paul Goldschmidt is going to be fine." is extremely vague. It is not an observation, it is a wish. The writer is not doing his job by considering this to be an informative article.

Of course we appreciate what Goldy has done for, and has meant to, the D-backs. But the article doesn't address Paul's lack of driving in runs.

It has gone way beyond his being pitched around, because he is no longer near the top in bases on balls. Bryce Harper leads the NL with 40. Goldy has 23. He is tied with three others for the 6-9 spots in the National League.

That is a very telling stat. Pitchers no longer fear Goldy at bat. Even with the lack of middle-of-the-order hitters who have batted 4th and 5th until Pollock emerged.

I hope D-backs' management is taking a more pro active look than "Paul Goldschmidt is going to be fine." One run batted in for the past, what, fifteen games is as far from "fine" as a slugger can be.