Rams trade for Aqib Talib

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rams have been very aggressive on moves even before the official start date of the NFL 2018 season (Mar 14).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Idk that could be explosive. Seems they are just putting together random talent and we've seen that never really works.

With Peters and Talib back there that could be amazing or it could result in an all out Royal rumble in the locker room.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Plus the Rams just signed CB Sam Shields as well. A quick check tells us that the Rams now have Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib and Sam Shields as CBs 1,2,3. While as of right now the Cardinals have Patrick Peterson, Lou Young and Brandon Williams.

Meanwhile the Cardinals wait until 6 days before March 14th to ask Tyrann Mathieu to take a significant paycut. That leaves precariously little time to negotiate and a sour taste in TM's and his agents' mouths---which likely means---no negotiation and thus Mathieu will not be given his March 14th roster bonus, the Cardinals will release him and receive zero in return (while the Chiefs and Broncos at least get draft picks for Peters and Talib). Classic. Moreover, releasing Mathieu does not create additional cap space until June 1st---which does not help the Cardinals one iota in free agency when all they have is $20M going in and zero QBs on the roster. Obviously, the Cardinals are going to have to create more cap room with a variety of other moves.

The PR hit the Cardinals could potentially incur here if Mathieu goes and shines for another team (a la Calais Campbell) is regrettable. Mathieu will be super motivated to prove that he was worth every penny of what the Cardinals signed him for. In my opinion, Mathieu was dispirited last year and was capable of playing much better than he did. He, like Patrick Peterson, was coddled and enabled to play below the highest of standards and expectations. Put Mathieu this year with a coaching staff who hold their players to higher standards and he is going to thrive. The irony is that Steve Wilks, Al Holcomb and David Merritt are going to demand such standards and create quite a buzz. Unfortunately, it looks they will not have the chance to do so with the Honey Badger, because of the nature of the 2nd contract Steve Keim authored following the 2015 season....at a time when Mathieu still had another year left on his rookie contract.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Plus the Rams just signed CB Sam Shields as well. A quick check tells us that the Rams now have Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib and Sam Shields as CBs 1,2,3. While as of right now the Cardinals have Patrick Peterson, Lou Young and Brandon Williams.

Meanwhile the Cardinals wait until 6 days before March 14th to ask Tyrann Mathieu to take a significant paycut.

Being aggressive, I have to remind u that :rolleyes:I dont know if they are sleeping or what but certainly the could resign some of our players

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rams are the next version of Chip Kelly Eagles. Relax.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Idk that could be explosive. Seems they are just putting together random talent and we've seen that never really works.

With Peters and Talib back there that could be amazing or it could result in an all out Royal rumble in the locker room.

+1.

Looks great on paper, and no doubt the Rams are being aggressive and really pushing for the top.

I am looking forward to the season, if Wilks and Keim can institute the power running game and the supposed commitment to the run game, how that match up will play out.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Rams are the next version of Chip Kelly Eagles. Relax.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Wade Phillips is no slouch. With that many weapons on their defense, the probability of them being very good is very high. Only chance they have of not being a contender is if Goff regresses significantly, or they're plagued with injuries.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wade Phillips is no slouch. With that many weapons on their defense, the probability of them being very good is very high. Only chance they have of not being a contender is if Goff regresses significantly, or they're plagued with injuries.

Do you remember Wade Philips defense with Texans and Cowboys being as good as Broncos defense under his helm? He is a good coach.

All I am saying is lets hold the horses until October shall we?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rams seemingly have given Wade Phillips permission to revamp the defense to his schemes. Looks like he will be able to be more aggressive next year. This division may end up the Rams and the rest.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Do you remember Wade Philips defense with Texans and Cowboys being as good as Broncos defense under his helm? He is a good coach.

All I am saying is lets hold the horses until October shall we?
I'm definitely not crowning them by any stretch, but they're clearly being aggressive and have a plan that they're executing ridiculously well. These types of moves are what catapults teams to the next level, so Snead is doing his end of the job. Whether or not these moves result in more W's is conjecture at this point, but needless to say, I wish Keim had half the cajones that Snead is showing.