Good Time as Ever to State What QB you prefer in the Draft

Which QB would you most want the Cardinals to be lucky enough to get in the Draft?

• Rosen

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Darnold

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Allen

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Mayfield

Votes: 33 45.2%
  • Rudolph

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Jackson

Votes: 15 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Darnold but that won't happen

Baker MAYFIELD * clap clap clap*

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I appreciate trying to find stats to research a player but the drawback to something like this, even though it's more in depth than just completion %, is it doesn't examine the types of passes thrown. All catchable passes aren't created equal and if I was running a scouting site, I'd focus on NFL type throws. Too many short, dumpoff throws that "anyone" could make are a big part of most college QB's stats but aren't really indicative of whether he'll be able to make next level stuff.

Same article also said he had less behind the LOS throws than Allen (who they were directly comparing).

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffa..._is_wrong_about_josh_allen_lamar_jackson.html

In fact prior to their respective bowl games, Jackson had 62 of his 399 passing attempts occur at or behind the line of scrimmage. That's roughly 15 percent. Josh Allen had 48 of his 251 passing attempts occur at or behind the line of scrimmage. That's 19.1 percent. Both quarterbacks had far fewer of those easy throws than other top quarterbacks in this class. On deep passes, Jackson had an adjusted completion percentage of just over 39 percent to Allen's 35 percent. Jackson had 10 touchdowns and one interception on 69 such deep attempts. Allen had six touchdowns and two interceptions on 42 of those attemps.

In Louisville's offense, there weren't a ton of check-down options in the passing game. Jackson was the check down. He ran for over 4,000 yards and 50 touchdowns during his career.

Using Allen's supporting cast as an excuse doesn't really hold up, either. According to Pro Football Focus, Allen dealt with 12 drops this season. Jackson dealt with 33.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
He's closer to RG3 than he is Cam or Thomas. RG3 just had better natural arm talent.

I don't see that, in fact I don't see any issue with Lamar's arm, and is my first choice of QB at 15. I don't see Sam, Baker, or Josh being available at 15 either. IMO Lamar can spin it with anybody in this draft not named Josh Allen.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Can't hit the side of a barn. Accuracy is by far the most important tool, and I have never seen a qb suddenly learn it. Intelligence and ability to read defenses is the second most important quality at the NFL level, and I have serious doubts about him there too.

Of all the QB prospects he is the one I am sure will not become a good QB in the NFL. Running Back or WR maybe, qb no.

How do you explain Jackson`s accuracy increasing every season and what about his receivers drop rate of 12%?As for intelligence WTF are you talking about because you obviously don`t know ? As for reading defenses you point out a college QB who won`t have some issues reading defenses.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
How do you explain Jackson`s accuracy increasing every season and what about his receivers drop rate of 12%?As for intelligence WTF are you talking about because you obviously don`t know ? As for reading defenses you point out a college QB who won`t have some issues reading defenses.
Accuracy or completion %? 54.7 to 59.1 isn't exactly a selling point. I don't know that I'd chalk it up to him becoming more accurate with the ball, probably just acclimating from a freshman to a junior.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Interesting analysis by Colin there.
Thanks for posting. I haven't watched much of Keim but he interviews well. Not sure how much "true" information he was sharing but I like how he communicates. Cowherd on the other hand...he's just another example of why I don't watch any of those shows anymore. Does one have to become fake and disingenuous to be a sportscaster, or what?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We drafted TM who had all kind of red flags. If I were Keim I would say the exact same thing. I would want teams out there to think we have NO interest in Baker Mayfield. Let's face it . No matter who we select at qb he is not our starter. That's why we need a guy like Bridgewater or Bradford to afford us the luxury of waiting until we are on the clock at 15. If Mayfield or Jackson are still there , okay, take them. If not we will still get a great prospect that could have an immediate impact on our team.Another thing to consider is we will have a lot of ammo to move up late in the first round or early in the second round if there is a QB we like such as Falk or Lauletta.

Last edited:

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

He's a risk, as are L. Jackson and Mayfield. Someone will trade up into top 12 to snag him if he hangs around.

If they can, I would agree with you, Wild. I just really hope the Cardinals’ decision makers have learned from the fiasco last year with Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. You don’t just sit around and hope a quarterback will fall to your pick if you believe that guy can be your franchise quarterback. Then you aggressively go and get him. That said, obviously none of us knows if they actually did just that but was simply outbidded.

Regarding the original post and its question, as of now I would prefer Josh Rosen. As I wrote in another thread, I like that he has opinions and are not afraid to speak out on them. I like that he stands up for what he believes in. There is no question that if they pick a quarterback in the first round, he will instantly become the face of the franchise and he will constantly be in the spotlight. I like the thought of having a charismatic guy that actually says something other than the usual automatic phrases in that role. Also, I think he is the best natural pocket passer in the class and thus the most pro-ready of the big four.

P.S. I have Lamar Jackson ranked in what I call 3B which is in the middle of the third round. I don’t believe he will ever be a quarterback in the NFL, but I think his athleticism alone makes it worth to take a flyer on him.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
I voted Rudolph, but thinking he might be available in the late 1st round. If most of the qb's are taken before #15 then take him then. At all costs, DON'T take Mayfield, anyone but that guy...

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't hit the side of a barn. Accuracy is by far the most important tool, and I have never seen a qb suddenly learn it. Intelligence and ability to read defenses is the second most important quality at the NFL level, and I have serious doubts about him there too.

Of all the QB prospects he is the one I am sure will not become a good QB in the NFL. Running Back or WR maybe, qb no.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thank goodness the Cardinals didn't hire Gase. Just ruining Sam Darnold.

Although could make the case Wilks ruined Rosen.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Thank goodness the Cardinals didn't hire Gase. Just ruining Sam Darnold.

Although could make the case Wilks ruined Rosen.

He did.

I'm not sure if you were lurking back when it all went down, but, around the third or fourth game, Bradford was floundering, and in a move that just reeked of desperation, Wilkes went to the rookie.

Rosen never, ever, in a million years, should have been put into that horror show of an offense. In relief of Bradford, it should have been Glennon, or anybody else on planet earth, other than your prize, potential QBOTF, 1st round draft choice. Josh of course "failed", and proceeded to get beat to $hit, thanks to the almost criminal mismanagement of the offensive coaching staff and roster.

It's ironic, because we might not have drafted Murray (a dream come true for me) if Rosen had been held in reserve, but life is weird sometimes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson