Projecting a QB

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Drafting a QB is almost always a matter of taking what you see and imaging how he plays in the NFL. The last sure thing I saw was Eli Manning. That’s how rare that is. Luck was close. Everyone else was an estimation. Even the best analysts miss as often as they hit. If someone could hit consistently they’d open a consulting firm and be the richest person associated with the NFL. With everything done except the Pro Days, I think every team has made up their collective mind on the QBs.

Still you have to take your guess and here’s what I see.

I still have Mayfield on top. He has all the physical tools and the performance numbers that says he knows how to use them. His height concerns some, but he’s learned how to deal with that. They’ll be an adjustment due to NFL defensive athleticism, but he’ll be fine. Then there’s demeanor. It’s only bragging if you can’t do it. With guys like a Fitz and Peterson around him, he’ll fall in line. Keeping Fitz was huge in this respect.

I’ve got Darnold next. He’s another guy with all the tools. He needs to mature a little, but he reminds me of Rothlisberger. He’s not your typical great athlete but he’s got an elite arm and a real feel for the game.

I’d take Allen third. He’s got the most to learn but he also has rare arm strength and accuracy. Put him with a couple of awesome receivers and he’ll put points on the board. He may never be a great game manager, but he’s going to be functional in the NFL. It’s hard to tell how far he can go but you can’t teach arm strength to any great extent. If the price to move up is more than a first and second (which it will be) I’d pass.

Next comes Rosen. I’ve got to admit I can’t figure him out. My instincts just tell me he’s not big time. Of course I said the same thing about Rodgers. Rosen on paper has it all. I just don’t see the presence on the field. It’s just an impression but I can’t shake it. I would not move up to take him.

The toughest call is Jackson. His durability is an issue, especially if he runs. He also needs to improve his accuracy. Forget the numbers, he makes too many ill advised throws. He’s taken some big steps forward but can he go further? The answer is probably yes, but he’s not a sure thing. Like Tebow he’s said I’m only a QB. He’s 2 years from starting if he gets there. I’m not opposed to taking hi at 15, but moving up would be an error.

Finally there’s Rudolph. He has a good arm, is very coachable and has the makings of a solid game manager. He’s a little like Andy Dalton. He may not get you to a Super Bowl, but he’ll be an NFL QB for years. He’d be okay at 15, but nothing special.

No one else is a round 1 candidate. Statistically the odds of any of them taking you any place is daunting. In fact anyone after the first 6 picks is typically not outstanding.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff, Harry. Would love to find out how these qbs did in the team interviews at the Combine, especially going up to the "board" and discussing plays. Mike Jurecki said that he heard Lamar Jackson did very poorly as if he wasn't prepared. Talent is really important at the QB position but you also IMO have to have the "brains" to be successful.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only thing I'd take issue with is the suggestion that Allen has rare accuracy. Unless you mean rarely bad for a first round prospect. John Skelton jr.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Love these posts, Harry. Thank you, my friend.

I concur with your assessments of Darnold, Allen, Rosen and Rudolph (although I think he could go far, like Joe Flacco, on a team with a running game and very good defense).

Where I differ slightly is on Mayfield and Jackson. What concerns me about Mayfield is his feet not his arm. Smaller QBs need quick feet in order to escape pressure and shot into clear passing lanes. His feet served him well in college, but in the NFL he's going to get boxed in and clamped down on quickly. What i wonder too is how well he will adapt to adversity. I imagine he can (he's a pretty tough-minded kid), but he might try to over-press.

As for Jackson, durability was not an issue at Louisville. He never missed a game at Louisville the past few years. He is supremely tough. In college he wasn't afraid to take on tackles, thus, he will need to show a little more discretion in the NFL. I just love how intensely competitive he is. He finds a way to win. The Louisville defense the past couple years has given up a ton of points and yet in so many games Jackson found a way to prevail. I agree that his throwing mechanics need significant refining. He needs to widen his base, square up more regularly and step into his throws. He's got such a good arm that he tends to flick the ball a lot, which at times gets him in trouble. But he seems very eager to learn and very eager to prove he is legit.

If the Cardinals like Jackson...and the word is they do....I hope they trade up for him, so that the Bills or some other team doesn't jump up in front of the Cardinals like the Chiefs and Texans did last year.

The thing about Jackson is---of all the QBs in this draft---he's the one opponents and defensive coordinators would fear the most.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff, Harry. Would love to find out how these qbs did in the team interviews at the Combine, especially going up to the "board" and discussing plays. Mike Jurecki said that he heard Lamar Jackson did very poorly as if he wasn't prepared. Talent is really important at the QB position but you also IMO have to have the "brains" to be successful.
Yup. No more QB Camp with Jon Gruden. Mariucci does some of this work on NFL Network.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drafting a QB is almost always a matter of taking what you see and imaging how he plays in the NFL. The last sure thing I saw was Eli Manning. That’s how rare that is. Luck was close. Everyone else was an estimation. Even the best analysts miss as often as they hit. If someone could hit consistently they’d open a consulting firm and be the richest person associated with the NFL. With everything done except the Pro Days, I think every team has made up their collective mind on the QBs.

I still have Mayfield on top. He has all the physical tools and the performance numbers that says he knows how to use them. His height concerns some, but he’s learned how to deal with that. They’ll be an adjustment due to NFL defensive athleticism, but he’ll be fine. Then there’s demeanor. It’s only bragging if you can’t do it. With guys like a Fitz and Peterson around him, he’ll fall in line. Keeping Fitz was huge in this respect.

I’ve got Darnold next. He’s another guy with all the tools. He needs to mature a little, but he reminds me of Rothlisberger. He’s not your typical great athlete but he’s got an elite arm and a real feel for the game.

I’d take Allen third. He’s got the most to learn but he also has rare arm strength and accuracy. Put him with a couple of awesome receivers and he’ll put points on the board. He may never be a great game manager, but he’s going to be functional in the NFL. It’s hard to tell how far he can go but you can’t teach arm strength to any great extent. If the price to move up is more than a first and second (which it will be) I’d pass.

Next comes Rosen. I’ve got to admit I can’t figure him out. My instincts just tell me he’s not big time. Of course I said the same thing about Rodgers. Rosen on paper has it all. I just don’t see the presence on the field. It’s just an impression but I can’t shake it. I would not move up to take him.

The toughest call is Jackson. His durability is an issue, especially if he runs. He also needs to improve his accuracy. Forget the numbers, he makes too many ill advised throws. He’s taken some big steps forward but can he go further? The answer is probably yes, but he’s not a sure thing. Like Tebow he’s said I’m only a QB. He’s 2 years from starting if he gets there. I’m not opposed to taking hi at 15, but moving up would be an error.

Finally there’s Rudolph. He has a good arm, is very coachable and has the makings of a solid game manager. He’s a little like Andy Dalton. He may not get you to a Super Bowl, but he’ll be an NFL QB for years. He’d be okay at 15, but nothing special.

No one else is a round 1 candidate. Statistically the odds of any of them taking you any place is daunting. In fact anyone after the first 6 picks is typically not outstanding.
In the immortal words of Josh Rosen;

" have you ever played QB?" :devil:

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

I keep reading unnamed quotes from Coaches at the combine interviews and i read that Jackson was acing the interviews and several coaches think LJ is a special person and a leader.Another source said he is truly a special person and wowed everyone in the interviews.The only person who has said anything remotely negative about LJ concerning speaking was ROB Rang NFL.COM writer who said LJ was funny and confident .Then RANG said LJ doesn`thave the commanding presence at he podium that iwould want for my QB,So a freaking writer doesn`t think LJ is authoriative enough talking to the media .BFD.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

Harry -Sorry but i think you are wrong.Mayfield isn`t going to be passing against lousy BIG 12 defense every week.I think he will get a very rude awakening in the NFL.
You rave a bout Josh Allens arm strength and you are wrong about his accuracy.He sure wasn`t the most accurate at Wyoming.How is his accuracy so good and yet you say Jackson needs to improve his.
Jackson is a very tough and durable guy .I don`t recall him missing a game at Louisville in 3 years.As for being a sure thing NOT A SINGLE QB in the draft is a sure thing,So if you apply your standards to one QB then apply to all .Mason Rudoplh a 1st round QB? Most disagree.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Love these posts, Harry. Thank you, my friend.

I concur with your assessments of Darnold, Allen, Rosen and Rudolph (although I think he could go far, like Joe Flacco, on a team with a running game and very good defense).

Where I differ slightly is on Mayfield and Jackson. What concerns me about Mayfield is his feet not his arm. Smaller QBs need quick feet in order to escape pressure and shot into clear passing lanes. His feet served him well in college, but in the NFL he's going to get boxed in and clamped down on quickly. What i wonder too is how well he will adapt to adversity. I imagine he can (he's a pretty tough-minded kid), but he might try to over-press.

As for Jackson, durability was not an issue at Louisville. He never missed a game at Louisville the past few years. He is supremely tough. In college he wasn't afraid to take on tackles, thus, he will need to show a little more discretion in the NFL. I just love how intensely competitive he is. He finds a way to win. The Louisville defense the past couple years has given up a ton of points and yet in so many games Jackson found a way to prevail. I agree that his throwing mechanics need significant refining. He needs to widen his base, square up more regularly and step into his throws. He's got such a good arm that he tends to flick the ball a lot, which at times gets him in trouble. But he seems very eager to learn and very eager to prove he is legit.

If the Cardinals like Jackson...and the word is they do....I hope they trade up for him, so that the Bills or some other team doesn't jump up in front of the Cardinals like the Chiefs and Texans did last year.

The thing about Jackson is---of all the QBs in this draft---he's the one opponents and defensive coordinators would fear the most.

Well said Mitch.I ca n`t understand why the Anti-Jackson crowd refuses to see the talent and possibilities.Sure heneeds Pro Coaching but so does everty other QB in the draft.People rave about Mayfields athletic ability and cocky attitude and then the same people complain that Jackson needs to pass more and use his athletic ability less while the same people don`t mention that Jackson has a great arm (yes he needs technique work) and is a humble hard working kid who doesn`t suffer from shortguy syndrome and feel the need to constantly tell everyone how good he thinks he is.I know people will say iam a homer concerning LJ but i know what i watched for 3 years and he is a special talent.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep reading unnamed quotes from Coaches at the combine interviews and i read that Jackson was acing the interviews and several coaches think LJ is a special person and a leader.Another source said he is truly a special person and wowed everyone in the interviews.The only person who has said anything remotely negative about LJ concerning speaking was ROB Rang NFL.COM writer who said LJ was funny and confident .Then RANG said LJ doesn`thave the commanding presence at he podium that iwould want for my QB,So a freaking writer doesn`t think LJ is authoriative enough talking to the media .BFD.
Why are you, seemingly, so deeply invested in Lamar and seem offended with contrary views? Just askin'.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Why are you, seemingly, so deeply invested in Lamar and seem offended with contrary views? Just askin'.

Not offended.Did not mean it to come out that way.I just get ticked off when i read about Josh Allen`s rare accuracy when he was not that accurate in real games and then the same person gets on Jackson for accuracy problems.Jackson was as accurate or better than Allen in college and Jacksons accuracy improved every year.I just get irritated as what i see as double standard nonsense.Yes i am a Louisville fan and i generally take up for their players.I think Jackson is a rare talent who needs coaching (as does every QB in the draft) .Just tellin!

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Any links to the quotes regarding LJackson?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Nfl.com Rob Rang,
I looked up Lamar Jackson combine interview info on Google
Sportsillustradted GMs Seattle,Baltimore
Bleacher report Mike Freeman 3/3/18
247 sports 3-6-18 Former QB Jim Miller

Last edited:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Great write up Harry! I think your spot on with your assessments of Mayfield and Jackson. I would prefer to take Jackson in the second round as an all-purpose player. WR, RB & wildcat QB. I love his running ability. If he could be taught to be a good receiver he could be a special three way threat. Mayfield is the best QB in this draft to me and the most ready to start day one. The rest are talented but I think they will need a year to learn before getting turned loose. This is the best year I've seen for quarterbacks in a long time with at least five being starter material. Plus there are a couple guys like Kyle Lauletta in the second or third rounds that might be able to become starters as well. I just hope we find away to go up and get Mayfield or trade for Nick Foles. They are my top choices for the Cardinals this year at QB.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nfl.com Rob Rang,
I looked up Lamar Jackson combine interview info on Google
Sportsillustradted GMs Seattle,Baltimore
Bleacher report Mike Freeman 3/3/18
247 sports 3-6-18 Former QB Jim Miller

I found the Mike Freeman article that quotes 'unnamed sources' with positive comments regarding LJ interview.

(To get a link, just highlight the webpage address by holding down the left mouse button and dragging over the address. Once the full address is highlighted, move off the address and hit the right mouse button and then 'Copy' When you are on the composition box here, hit the right mouse button and hit 'Paste' and the full link will print.)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...imself-few-favors-at-combine-and-good-for-him

I don't have any notions one way or the other coming into the process regarding evaluating the QBs. I'm the guy window shopping for a new car who checks out every thing on the lot. I'll read through the evals, read the fan forum pages, watch the talking heads on the sports shows to form an opinion. I watch very few college games until we get to the Bowl games and National Title game.

I want every single athlete to fulfill their dreams of playing at the pro-level. That goes for LJ or any of the other young men in this draft.

I certainly haven't watched any of the college QBs play for their entire career.

You are a big fan of LJ---no problem with that opinion.

How do you react to the NFL.com 'negatives' regarding LJ by Lance Zierlein?

Weaknesses
Carries spindly legs and a thin base. Slightly built for punishing hits he takes from pocket and as a runner. Must learn to slide. Lackadaisical in setup. Throws with excessively narrow base and stiff front side. Flips it rather than throws it. Makes targets work too hard. Sails throws that can end up in hands of a safety. At times, hesitates to challenge safeties in the seam. Low release point leads to tipped passes. Typically gets through reads 1 and 2 before halting progressions. Pocket awareness has room for improvement. Move accuracy on rollouts and scrambles is poor. Highly inaccurate with throws on the move throughout the 2017 season. Underthrown deep balls allow cornerbacks to play the ball. Lacks touch over the heads of middle linebackers into intermediate pockets. Turnover total still too high.
Draft Projection
Rounds 1-2
NFL Comparison
Michael Vick
Bottom Line
Evaluating Jackson against the NFL standards for the position will cause him to come up short. However, he has rare speed and athleticism and can single-handedly win games. Jackson's accuracy is clearly spotty and teams must decide the level of accuracy they are willing to live with relative to his ability to create explosive plays. Jackson may need to operate in an offense ready to integrate RPOs (run/pass options) along with heavy play-action. Like Deshaun Watson in 2017, Jackson has the ability to counter mental mistakes and turnovers with a high number of explosive, touchdown-making plays. He has star potential, but his success will rest heavily upon his ability to stay healthy.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lamar-jackson?id=2560053

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great write up Harry! I think your spot on with your assessments of Mayfield and Jackson. I would prefer to take Jackson in the second round as an all-purpose player. WR, RB & wildcat QB. I love his running ability. If he could be taught to be a good receiver he could be a special three way threat. Mayfield is the best QB in this draft to me and the most ready to start day one. The rest are talented but I think they will need a year to learn before getting turned loose. This is the best year I've seen for quarterbacks in a long time with at least five being starter material. Plus there are a couple guys like Kyle Lauletta in the second or third rounds that might be able to become starters as well. I just hope we find away to go up and get Mayfield or trade for Nick Foles. They are my top choices for the Cardinals this year at QB.

LJ has been upfront with his desire to be considered strictly as a QB---not as a 'Slash' player. On a separate thread, I mentioned Kordell Stewart as a very successful guy at the Slash position but LJ doesn't see himself that way. To his credit, he made that desire known at the Combine as well.

What would you give up for Mayfield?

What would you give up for Foles?

Last edited:

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Appreciate your evaluations of the college QBs.

Have you looked at the FA QBs? (My preference is to find a vet---not necessarily just a bridge QB but one to step in similar to CP---over the expense of moving up or the gamble at taking the 4th or 5th QB available at our natural draft spot).

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well said Mitch.I ca n`t understand why the Anti-Jackson crowd refuses to see the talent and possibilities.Sure heneeds Pro Coaching but so does everty other QB in the draft.People rave about Mayfields athletic ability and cocky attitude and then the same people complain that Jackson needs to pass more and use his athletic ability less while the same people don`t mention that Jackson has a great arm (yes he needs technique work) and is a humble hard working kid who doesn`t suffer from shortguy syndrome and feel the need to constantly tell everyone how good he thinks he is.I know people will say iam a homer concerning LJ but i know what i watched for 3 years and he is a special talent.
Do you see him as a better prospect then Bridgewater?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Do you see him as a better prospect then Bridgewater?

Yes i do but just because of Jackson`s great athletic ability.Jackson has a stronger arm but Bridgewater was more advanced as a QB when he left college.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I found the Mike Freeman article that quotes 'unnamed sources' with positive comments regarding LJ interview.

(To get a link, just highlight the webpage address by holding down the left mouse button and dragging over the address. Once the full address is highlighted, move off the address and hit the right mouse button and then 'Copy' When you are on the composition box here, hit the right mouse button and hit 'Paste' and the full link will print.)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...imself-few-favors-at-combine-and-good-for-him

I don't have any notions one way or the other coming into the process regarding evaluating the QBs. I'm the guy window shopping for a new car who checks out every thing on the lot. I'll read through the evals, read the fan forum pages, watch the talking heads on the sports shows to form an opinion. I watch very few college games until we get to the Bowl games and National Title game.

I want every single athlete to fulfill their dreams of playing at the pro-level. That goes for LJ or any of the other young men in this draft.

I certainly haven't watched any of the college QBs play for their entire career.

You are a big fan of LJ---no problem with that opinion.

How do you react to the NFL.com 'negatives' regarding LJ by Lance Zierlein?

Weaknesses
Carries spindly legs and a thin base. Slightly built for punishing hits he takes from pocket and as a runner. Must learn to slide. Lackadaisical in setup. Throws with excessively narrow base and stiff front side. Flips it rather than throws it. Makes targets work too hard. Sails throws that can end up in hands of a safety. At times, hesitates to challenge safeties in the seam. Low release point leads to tipped passes. Typically gets through reads 1 and 2 before halting progressions. Pocket awareness has room for improvement. Move accuracy on rollouts and scrambles is poor. Highly inaccurate with throws on the move throughout the 2017 season. Underthrown deep balls allow cornerbacks to play the ball. Lacks touch over the heads of middle linebackers into intermediate pockets. Turnover total still too high.
Draft Projection
Rounds 1-2
NFL Comparison
Michael Vick
Bottom Line
Evaluating Jackson against the NFL standards for the position will cause him to come up short. However, he has rare speed and athleticism and can single-handedly win games. Jackson's accuracy is clearly spotty and teams must decide the level of accuracy they are willing to live with relative to his ability to create explosive plays. Jackson may need to operate in an offense ready to integrate RPOs (run/pass options) along with heavy play-action. Like Deshaun Watson in 2017, Jackson has the ability to counter mental mistakes and turnovers with a high number of explosive, touchdown-making plays. He has star potential, but his success will rest heavily upon his ability to stay healthy.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lamar-jackson?id=2560053

I think he has some valid points and i also disagree on some points.LJ was 6`2 216 at the combine so to me he might be thinner than some QBs but i wouldn`t say spindly.There is muscle on that frame.Jackson did not miss a game in 3 years at Louisville due to injury.So his toughness is unquestionable IMHO. Jackson has issues that should be correctable with NFL coaching and his accuracy IMPROVED EVERY season. As for the statement ""his success will rest heavily on his ability to stay healthy" doesn`t that apply to EVERY QB?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
LJ has been upfront with his desire to be considered strictly as a QB---not as a 'Slash' player. On a separate thread, I mentioned Kordell Stewart as a very successful guy at the Slash position but LJ doesn't see himself that way. To his credit, he made that desire known at the Combine as well.

What would you give up for Mayfield?

What would you give up for Foles?
I really don't see Jackson as a QB. I would not draft him as one either. I think he can be a special player if he is used as a slash type player where he plays WR, RB and Wildcat QB.

Foles- I would give up our first and second round picks to land him. He has proven if you put a good team around him he can win a Superbowl.

Mayfield- If I was GM I would land Mayfield period with out a doubt no matter what it took. My first plan of action would be to trade into the 7-10 range using our 1st, 3rd and next years second to draft him. If a team takes him in the top five then I trade our entire 2018 draft to get him. To me he is this years Drew Brees and he would be my new QB no matter what.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why has Mike White fallen off the edge of the universe?

How much less talented is he and Lauletta than the mainstream pack leaders (including L Jackson)?

Either of these guys might prove to be good safety-plays should both free agency and the draft prove too costly in dollars or players traded.

Last edited:

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I think the smart teams are still looking at Mike White and Lauletta as Round 2-4 guys.I admit i have seen just a little of Mike White at WKU and he was okay.He supposedly did well at Senior Bowl and has aNFL arm so i would hope Cards are checking him out as a fallback option to groom and see how far he can develop.I think Mitch and others have said New England is really liking Lauletta and could possibly grab him in RD 2.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I heard the same rumor

Love these posts, Harry. Thank you, my friend

As for Jackson, durability was not an issue at Louisville.

The same was true of Teddy Bridgewater

As to my Allen comment I should have added on deep throws.