Any QB Will Do

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Yesterday a rumor surfaced the Browns would take Barkley with the first pick. I started asking around and now I think it’s more than a rumor. The point is Cleveland can’t decide which QB they like. So they’re willing to take Barkley at one and grab whomever they like best among the leftovers at four. Of course the Giants plan is now in disarray. They’ve ruled out trading up to one. So they likely are back to taking their favorite QB. There’s also a good chance a QB goes at 3. The Colts are willing to be persuaded to trade Luck then take a QB. If no overwhelming offer is forthcoming they’d prefer to trade the pick if they can get atop shelf offer. This all makes it more likely the Cards will have to overpay to get one of the top rated QBs.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Yesterday a rumor surfaced the Browns would take Barkley with the first pick. I started asking around and now I think it’s more than a rumor. The point is Cleveland can’t decide which QB they like. So they’re willing to take Barkley at one and grab whomever they like best among the leftovers at four. Of course the Giants plan is now in disarray. They’ve ruled out trading up to one. So they likely are back to taking their favorite QB. There’s also a good chance a QB goes at 3. The Colts are willing to be persuaded to trade Luck then take a QB. If no overwhelming offer is forthcoming they’d prefer to trade the pick if they can get atop shelf offer. This all makes it more likely the Cards will have to overpay to get one of the top rated QBs.
They are probably mulling that right now. I do think the Browns take Barkley as their new franchise RB savior. Fans there can relate to that. Unless someone trades with the Colts, they'll have their pick between Josh Allen and Josh Rosen at #4.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They would be absolute buffoons not to take Barkley at 1 because the colts or giants will take him otherwise.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think the Browns are making a huge mistake if they take Barkley at #1 instead of a QB (unless they also trade up to #2 or #3 to secure their guy). It's not going to surprise me if QBs go 2, 3, 4, 5 after Barkley.

I'm getting this sinking feeling we're going to overpay, just as you postulate, Harry. I'm trying to stay positive but I'm seeing us in shambles for the next few years if we do that.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think the Browns are making a huge mistake if they take Barkley at #1 instead of a QB (unless they also trade up to #2 or #3 to secure their guy). It's not going to surprise me if QBs go 2, 3, 4, 5 after Barkley.

I'm getting this sinking feeling we're going to overpay, just as you postulate, Harry. I'm trying to stay positive but I'm seeing us in shambles for the next few years if we do that.

Don't understand this thinking, they can get pretty much the consensus #1 player in the entire draft and who is the best player at his position by a long ways and a QB at 4 when there isn't really that much separating QBs 1-3.

I don't see the Colts taking a QB at 3 no matter the circumstances, no way do they trade Luck and eat $22 million in cap space. Trading out of that pick makes sense though.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

they also have the 4th overall pick

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

yeah I heard that a few days ago too. Smart move on their part. What they need to watch for though is both NY and INDY trading their picks....simple trades like...the Jets and the Broncos... they could move up to make sure we dont jump in front of them.
The Giants should try to trade 2 to cleve for 4... then maybe trade 4.... they can stockpile picks to help Eli this year and have draft capital to move up and get a QB next year or the following. Cleveland has enough picks to trade up two spots so they can ensure they get Barkley and their favorite QB
if cleveland selects Barkley at 1 the Giants phone will be ringing off the hook

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Harry---word is that Hue Jackson's top QB choice is A.J. McCarron, whom he coached in Cincy. If they sign McCarron, they will go ahead and take Barkley at #1 and decide whether to stay put at #4 and take BPA or trade it to accumulate more picks including an additional 2019 1st round pick. The craziness could continue in Cleveland.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Don't understand this thinking, they can get pretty much the consensus #1 player in the entire draft and who is the best player at his position by a long ways and a QB at 4 when there isn't really that much separating QBs 1-3.

I don't see the Colts taking a QB at 3 no matter the circumstances, no way do they trade Luck and eat $22 million in cap space. Trading out of that pick makes sense though.
they also have the 4th overall pick

I'm aware they have the #4 overall pick as well, but history shows that the second/third QB taken is rarely all that great. I understand that this is a bit of an anomaly in that the top guy could be different depending on which team you ask, but the Browns have been quarterback starved since they rejoined the league. They need to dial in who they think is the franchise guy, and take him without looking back - not let other teams make the choice for them. They're never going to dig themselves out of this quagmire without the #1, top, correct QB.

Odds are, one or more of the top four guys will end up busting, or being mediocre at best. The Browns cannot afford to have a star runningback and another middling guy that can't lead them to wins. Their franchise has been waiting for too long. Their head coach needs to put Ws on the board ASAP or lose his job.

Trust me, I get that Barkley is a great talent and he won't be there at 4 if they pass... but they can't let someone else make their QB decision for them again. This is the time to take him. A very solid RB can be had later in the draft. Just look at guys like Kamara, Hunt, David Johnson, Dalvin Cook, Jordan Howard, Jay Ajayi.... All later picks, and that's just with one example from the 2nd round. They shouldn't get cute.

But I do agree with @oaken1 that it'd be smart of them to cough up a pick to move up to #2 and get both guys. It's what I'd do.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm aware they have the #4 overall pick as well, but history shows that the second/third QB taken is rarely all that great. I understand that this is a bit of an anomaly in that the top guy could be different depending on which team you ask, but the Browns have been quarterback starved since they rejoined the league. They need to dial in who they think is the franchise guy, and take him without looking back - not let other teams make the choice for them. They're never going to dig themselves out of this quagmire without the #1, top, correct QB.

Odds are, one or more of the top four guys will end up busting, or being mediocre at best. The Browns cannot afford to have a star runningback and another middling guy that can't lead them to wins. Their franchise has been waiting for too long. Their head coach needs to put Ws on the board ASAP or lose his job.

Trust me, I get that Barkley is a great talent and he won't be there at 4 if they pass... but they can't let someone else make their QB decision for them again. This is the time to take him. A very solid RB can be had later in the draft. Just look at guys like Kamara, Hunt, David Johnson, Dalvin Cook, Jordan Howard, Jay Ajayi.... All later picks, and that's just with one example from the 2nd round. They shouldn't get cute.

But I do agree with @oaken1 that it'd be smart of them to cough up a pick to move up to #2 and get both guys. It's what I'd do.

If their board has all the 3 top QBs lumped together without much separating them then getting Barkley #1 is the smart move. If their board has 1 QB head and shoulders ahead of all the others then that becomes an issue. I am guessing by the talk and rumors coming out nobody really believes that there is 1 QB that has separated himself from the pack for their management.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If their board has all the 3 top QBs lumped together without much separating them then getting Barkley #1 is the smart move. If their board has 1 QB head and shoulders ahead of all the others then that becomes an issue. I am guessing by the talk and rumors coming out nobody really believes that there is 1 QB that has separated himself from the pack for their management.
You need to make that decision for your franchise. The top 3-4 QBs are very different guys. Letting someone make the decision for you at the most important position in football is how you stay the Browns.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You need to make that decision for your franchise. The top 3-4 QBs are very different guys. Letting someone make the decision for you at the most important position in football is how you stay the Browns.

You also don't pass up a potential generational talent at RB when none of the QBs in the draft is without significant flaws. None of these guys is Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck as a prospect.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You also don't pass up a potential generational talent at RB when none of the QBs in the draft is without significant flaws. None of these guys is Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck as a prospect.
They're about as close as you're going to get. It's the difference between a prototypical QB with no character issues and potentially Baker Mayfield, who has character concerns, or Allen, who has accuracy concerns. I do get the hype about Barkley, but the franchise can't keep sticking with the picked over leftovers.

I mean, it's the Browns, and they're typically the first to make the worst possible moves, so I'm not saying it's out of the question, but they'd be idiots to do it.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry---word is that Hue Jackson's top QB choice is A.J. McCarron, whom he coached in Cincy. If they sign McCarron, they will go ahead and take Barkley at #1 and decide whether to stay put at #4 and take BPA or trade it to accumulate more picks including an additional 2019 1st round pick. The craziness could continue in Cleveland.

I’ve heard that too but I’m not sure it plays with the fan base unless they also take a QB at 4.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They're about as close as you're going to get. It's the difference between a prototypical QB with no character issues and potentially Baker Mayfield, who has character concerns, or Allen, who has accuracy concerns. I do get the hype about Barkley, but the franchise can't keep sticking with the picked over leftovers.

I mean, it's the Browns, and they're typically the first to make the worst possible moves, so I'm not saying it's out of the question, but they'd be idiots to do it.

Well I completely disagree, when there is no clear top choice QB you go with the sure thing. These QBs are more 1a, 1b & 1c (and maybe 1d) there is no guy in this draft I see coming in from day one and being a franchise QB--heck almost all the draft "experts" have a different 1-4 of their QB rankings. Barkley on the other hand could come in and be a 1100 yd 10 TD back from year 1 (and that is on the low side), look what Leonard Fournette did for the Jags or Ezekiel Elliott for the Cowboys...Barkley grades out better than both of them.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well I completely disagree, when there is no clear top choice QB you go with the sure thing. These QBs are more 1a, 1b & 1c (and maybe 1d) there is no guy in this draft I see coming in from day one and being a franchise QB--heck almost all the draft "experts" have a different 1-4 of their QB rankings. Barkley on the other hand could come in and be a 1100 yd 10 TD back from year 1 (and that is on the low side), look what Leonard Fournette did for the Jags or Ezekiel Elliott for the Cowboys...Barkley grades out better than both of them.
Time will tell, but I guess we can revisit 2-3 years down the line if it happens and the Browns are once again struggling at the position.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
You're saving me so much typing! I'm thinking the Browns make some big strides this year and with new management, don't make such silly decisions come draft time. Too much of what's being speculated on is being taken as fact when it's all just noise this time of year. With as much money and draft capital as they have, I don't even think they're out of the Cousins sweepstakes.

Pay Cousins, lay out the plan to him with Barkley as the #1 pick, another first rounder, etc., they've got weapons on offense already, the o-line is actually not bad...a QB and RB makes them a winning team right off the bat IMO. Maybe crazy to say for an 0-16 team but they aren't nearly as bad as their record would indicate IMO.

Even if they draft a QB, it's as you say, waiting until 4 means they still get one of the top 3 QB's at worst, in a class that has no clear cut favorite.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Agreed on taking a RB over a QB

Don't worry about the roster as long as we get the right QB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

In your mind there isn't much separating the QBs. There is a big difference between selecting the right QB and taking the guy that is left. QBs are more important than RBs no matter how talented that RB may be.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
QB means more than RB
If it was either/or, sure. But it isn't. It's best player in the draft, highest potential ceiling RB and a choice between the top 3, relatively equal QB's or take your favorite of the QB class and...? If they take Barkley they get a likely blue-chipper and still get a QB. That much more value than just taking a QB before RB on principle.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
When it is at RB you should. Same with WR. Look at Todd Gurley. What changed from 2016 to 2017 because it sure wan't his talent?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If it was either/or, sure. But it isn't. It's best player in the draft, highest potential ceiling RB and a choice between the top 3, relatively equal QB's or take your favorite of the QB class and...? If they take Barkley they get a likely blue-chipper and still get a QB. That much more value than just taking a QB before RB on principle.
It isn't though.
You are sacrificing the option to CHOOSE your future QB for a RB who can be schemed against and who can be game flow dependent.

Barkley is great, but I have seen great players who meant little to the team because they didn't have the right QB. If the Browns do not see a difference between the top 3 QBs then they are going to continue to be terrible.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
In your mind there isn't much separating the QBs. There is a big difference between selecting the right QB and taking the guy that is left. QBs are more important than RBs no matter how talented that RB may be.

Every QB in this draft has multiple flaws, none is a day 1 starter or should be, they all are projects. That is why there is not much separating these QBs. Of course QB is more important that RB in the grand scheme of things but any of these guys could go #1 or #6 and the order really doesn't matter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson