Baker Mayfield making a push to be the #1 overall pick?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think you're being too generous.

Flutie didn't have to talk himself up and grab his crotch to get attention.... or paid.

Let the tapes speak for themselves.... If you have to start a PR campaign or text GM's
You're probably not half as good as you think you are.

But hey..... It worked out great for Johnny Football, so you can't blame others for trying.
Yeah, Mayfield is confident, But he doesn't bring the other baggage that brought Manzel down. Manzel was his own worst enemy. Mayfield isn't.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, Mayfield is confident, But he doesn't bring the other baggage that brought Manzel down. Manzel was his own worst enemy. Mayfield isn't.

I don't know or have any insight into Mayfield off the field that isn't public knowledge, but Manziel's off the field was well known by everyone. The Browns paid six figures for a background check on him and knew he was an idiot, but selected him anyways. Manziel was a trainwreck.

Manziel was drinking during games. He was always partying, doing cocaine, even smoking. Everyone just kept giving him a pass. He was doing it around everyone. People he didn't really know. He just didn't care. He wanted to party. He was completely selfish and immature. He was in denial about himself.

Mayfield got caught up in a situation where he was drunk and couldn't follow an officer's direction while the officer was looking into someone else's crime and ran, probably because he was underage and scared of getting busted for being drunk. Stupid, but not in the same league as Manziel.

Could there be more? Perhaps.

Even now, after working up such a big sweat yesterday, underage Darnold talked about wanting to get 'dirty' last night after the combine. Now does that mean Darnold will be a big party animal? Don't know. But if anything it doesn't look good. If anything, people should maybe take a closer look at him as well.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Mayfield but don't feel he is the top qb for the draft this year. IMO Rosen, Allen and Darnold are better pro prospects.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
It seems unfathomable to me that the Browns would even consider Mayfield. An undersized guy with a TON of question marks is not how they should be investing their draft capitol and planning their future around.

While they do need a lot of help, I don't see how they can pass on an obvious best player in the draft that is also a position of need for them. Take Barkley and the best QB that's still there at #4.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
It seems unfathomable to me that the Browns would even consider Mayfield. An undersized guy with a TON of question marks is not how they should be investing their draft capitol and planning their future around.

While they do need a lot of help, I don't see how they can pass on an obvious best player in the draft that is also a position of need for them. Take Barkley and the best QB that's still there at #4.
Browns will take Darnold or Allen. Their problem is will one of them be there at 4 if they decide to take Barkley #1. They could take Barkley 1st and then deal with the Colts to move up a spot, but they'd be taking a big chance there.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not sure why ppl were just calling his combine okay. I thought his footwork and throws were excellent. His clean mechanics remind me of Stafford and his balls looked crisp. Ftr I couldn’t care less about a QB’s 40-time.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

All the talk about some that he lacks arm strength is pure bunk and never seen him play. He is by far the most accurate QB in relation to the passes he throws. I just wish he would not be so full of himself, there is confidence and then there is being a total ass, and the later does not help in a team sport. The risk is, you really do not know what side of the fine line he may become once a professional concerning his ego. Granted, if he is there at 15 and we do not draft him, I would turn the TV off. Mayfield and Rosen are the two guys which have the most QB talent (physical and mental), Jackson has the most athletic talent in my opinion. Now, if both have been taken and Lamar is there along with Allen, I take Lamar without even thinking... Allen and Rudolph are the guys with a strong arm whose passes sail on them, and don't be surprised when Mahomes turns out similar in the Derek Anderson mode of exposing a guy's kidneys trying to make a catch

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
All the talk about some that he lacks arm strength is pure bunk and never seen him play. He is by far the most accurate QB in relation to the passes he throws. I just wish he would not be so full of himself, there is confidence and then there is being a total ass, and the later does not help in a team sport. The risk is, you really do not know what side of the fine line he may become once a professional concerning his ego. Granted, if he is there at 15 and we do not draft him, I would turn the TV off. Mayfield and Rosen are the two guys which have the most QB talent (physical and mental), Jackson has the most athletic talent in my opinion. Now, if both have been taken and Lamar is there along with Allen, I take Lamar without even thinking... Allen and Rudolph are the guys with a strong arm whose passes sail on them, and don't be surprised when Mahomes turns out similar in the Derek Anderson mode of exposing a guy's kidneys trying to make a catch

I think Bakers confidence is in many ways trying to make up for his height...it seems to have stepped up a notch since the draft process has started...IMO he is using it as a marketing tool, hoping it will be infectious and pass on to a GM with a high pick.
It would be a warning sign if he was using the same bravado to downplay his weaknesses,... but he isnt. he is using it to stress his strengths.

simple fact is...if Baker Mayfield was 6'5 he would be the top pick without question based on stats, measurables, production, football IQ, passion for the game and combine performance.
I imagine, the fact that his height may cause him to be a 15-20 pick instead of a 1-3 pick is probably frustrating as all hell,... so he makes up for it by looking at anyone who asks and clearly stating "I am the best QB in this class hands down"...because he believes it to be true and he wants them to believe it too.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think Bakers confidence is in many ways trying to make up for his height...it seems to have stepped up a notch since the draft process has started...IMO he is using it as a marketing tool, hoping it will be infectious and pass on to a GM with a high pick.
It would be a warning sign if he was using the same bravado to downplay his weaknesses,... but he isnt. he is using it to stress his strengths.

simple fact is...if Baker Mayfield was 6'5 he would be the top pick without question based on stats, measurables, production, football IQ, passion for the game and combine performance.
I imagine, the fact that his height may cause him to be a 15-20 pick instead of a 1-3 pick is probably frustrating as all hell,... so he makes up for it by looking at anyone who asks and clearly stating "I am the best QB in this class hands down"...because he believes it to be true and he wants them to believe it too.
Ding ding ding!

Oak I’ve said everything you have right here in posts many many times.

Imo This kids passion & will to be great seems off the charts! It’s a unique trait not many except for the great ones have. It’s a gift & Mayfield is driven to succeed!

Last edited:

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Baker Mayfield likey goes top 3. Lamar Jackson likely out of first round.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Baker Mayfield likey goes top 3. Lamar Jackson likely out of first round.

I say ********.Baker Mayfield is fools gold.The NFL isn't the defense challenged Big Eight.Lamar Jackson out of the first round? More nonsense covered with ********.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I say ********.Baker Mayfield is fools gold.The NFL isn't the defense challenged Big Eight.Lamar Jackson out of the first round? More nonsense covered with ********.
I am not saying who will work out
The draft is trending that way after combine. IMO

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I am not saying who will work out
The draft is trending that way after combine. IMO

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

no problem.The draft is still 7 weeks away so i would think the analysis and overanalysis and disinformation will start flowing like crap thru a goose`s ass now.General manager and Coach doubletalk galore.

Buckybird

Reaction score
He did pretty well against the Dawgs & Bucks top 10 Ds. Horns & Frogs D wasn’t too bad either.

I guess by this logic Allen should go in Rd 5 considering he wasn’t all that in the Mountain West lol. Hell he wasn’t even the 1st all conference QB :mrgreen:

I guess in 3 years we will all know who’s the best in this class

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
He did pretty well against the Dawgs & Bucks top 10 Ds. Horns & Frogs D wasn’t too bad either.

I guess by this logic Allen should go in Rd 5 considering he wasn’t all that in the Mountain West lol. Hell he wasn’t even the 1st all conference QB :mrgreen:

I guess in 3 years we will all know who’s the best in this class

Lamar Jackson .QB skills and great Athletic ability,humility,high character,great work ethic.All the skills without the ego and ********.

.As a commenter said-Mayfield had good receivers,good offensive line and lousy defenses to do it against.Doug Flutie version 2.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Lamar Jackson .QB skills and great Athletic ability,humility,high character,great work ethic.All the skills without the ego and ********.

.As a commenter said-Mayfield had good receivers,good offensive line and lousy defenses to do it against.Doug Flutie version 2.
I’d be ok with LJ.

My concerns with him is his ability to stay on the field because he runs so much & if he can read defenses. He’s got skills no doubt.

As far as the team concept, I believe the great QBs elevate their teams play, despite limited talent on his team.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I’d be ok with LJ.

My concerns with him is his ability to stay on the field because he runs so much & if he can read defenses. He’s got skills no doubt.

As far as the team concept, I believe the great QBs elevate their teams play, despite limited talent on his team.

I have obviously watched LJ more than any other QB in the draft.He has some flaws that need coaching as does every QB in the draft.His reads improved yearly and with PRO coaching IMHO he will only get better.Right now i think Rosen and Darnold are the 2 best QBs closest ready to play NFLwise.Both will probably be gone before cards pick.Mayfield just doesn`t do much for me.josh Allen is a big strong-armed guy who has pro size but accuracy issues without Jackson`s athletic abiluity.i know i am glad i am not the GM who has to decide which shiny new QB to pick.They all have some positives and negatives but the ceilings are different as is the risk factors.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wish we could find someone like Russel Wilson who can scramble and make plays. Then maybe our OL would be less of a concern. Mayfield is underrated by some but he doesn't have first-round talent. Someone will take him too early and I hope it isn't us. We must hit with our first pick.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What about drafting the best lineman and Lauletta in round 2
Then we have 2 3th round picks
I would love if we can get malik Jefferson and equanimous in that round

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
What about drafting the best lineman and Lauletta in round 2
Then we have 2 3th round picks
I would love if we can get malik Jefferson and equanimous in that round

The Patriots are supposedly locked in Lauletta and they have 2 picks between the Cardinals at #15 and #47. If that is the case, what the Cardinals would have to do is trade back up ahead of the Patriots either at the back end of the 1st or the early part of the 2nd. That would at the least mean giving up the #47 and #79 (3rd round) picks.

It would be surprising if Malik Jefferson makes it to pick #79. If we want Jefferson we would have to take him at #47, if he's still on the board.

In theory, your proposal is good...but, can the Cardinals really risk missing out on one of the top QBs in this draft? Plus, there should be some very good OL on the board in round 2---so the Cardinals could take a QB in round one and still get one of the best OL in round 2.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
After the Combine...there really is no question who the #1 pick is going to be: RB Saquon Barkley, Penn St. He would make whichever QB the Browns take at #4 all the better. Chances are pretty strong that Baker Mayfield would still be on the board at #4.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose