Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals History Of Drafting QB's

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm limiting this to the AZ version of the Cards but frankly, the St. Louis Cardinals weren't much better but here are every QB this team has ever drafted and how they fared here or anywhere after they left here:

1988: Tom Tupa, 3rd round-Our poor man's Danny White. A P/QB combo. Some would say he was drafted to be our punter but unless you're name is Ray Guy, you do not draft a punter in the 3rd round. No, he was drafted to be a QB first but no more than a backup, which is strange to draft in the 3rd round. He only made sporadic appearances at either position until 1991 when he was thrust into the starting job when Rosenbach got injured and he filled in admirably for a few games but he really wasn't an NFL QB. Incidentally, he did go onto a fruitful career upon leaving here. He even made the Pro Bowl once as a punter and he has the distinction of being the first player to score on a 2 point conversion when he was a Brown. He retired after the 2004 season.

1989: Timm Rosenbach, 1st round(supplemental draft)-Drafted with a lot of promise. Sat for a year then became the starter for the 1990 season and showed a lot of promise. He was Jake Plummer before there was a Jake Plummer. He would run and had a good arm but his accuracy needed honing. Unfortunately he blew out his knee kn training camp the next year and was never the same and was out of football by 1993.

1991: Jeff Bridewell, 12th round-Pretty much an UDFA but these were the days when the draft was 12 rounds. He never saw the field.

1992: Tony Sacca, 2nd round-Essentially our first round draft pick but Bugel taking him so high was a head scratcher then. His career line is 4 out of 11 for 29 yards and 2 int's. He never saw a professional football field again after the '92 season.

1995: Stoney Case, 2nd round-Another head scratcher of a high pick but such was Buddy Ryan's tenure. Case barely saw the field and but after leaving the Cards he actually won a few games in Baltimore and Detroit and had pretty much the same career in the Arena Football League.

1997: Jake Plummer, 2nd round-This is probably our most successful drafted QB since Neil Lomax and we haven't been able to draft a decent QB since. Jake was Jake. He's put you behind by 17 points then lead you to victory in the 2nd half. He was as exciting as he was unpredictable. Jake led us to our first playoff win in almost 50 years in 1998 and had a couple of productive years before leaving for Denver where he finished out his career. To the shock of no one, he's now one of the leading advocates for legalizing marijuana.

1999: Chris Greison, 7th round-While he never could find his niche in the NFL, Chris had an outstanding AFL career with a TD-INT ratio of 324-40 and at one time held the AFL's single season TD record with 117 TD passes(it has since been broken, shattered really). He even won a championship with the short lived UFL in 2010.

2002: Josh McCown, 3rd round-While not a flashy QB, John has had a pretty distinguished NFL career and is the longest tenured NFL QB the Cards have ever drafted(Jim Hart was an undrafted FA). While his abilities are hardly that of a top notch QB, he has a reputation of being a decent game manager who's skills won't win you many games but won't beat you either. Josh is the epitome of the journeyman QB who just might find his way home. He's also one of the nicest people on the planet. Of course our fondest memory of him is bringing the Cards on a lengthy drive culminating in a memorable TD to Nate Poole to knock the Vikings out of the playoffs in 2003.

2004: John Navarre, 7th round-Didn't see the field often but did start 1 game. Didn't go well.

2006: Matt Leenert, 1st round: Our QBOTF who showed flashes in his rookie season but Ken Whisenhunt refused to develop him and before long, he fell off the face of the earth with his only claim to fame is leading the Cards to a 23-3 lead on a MNF game against the then undefeated Bears only to see Dennis Green put the ball in his pocket leading us to a 24-23 loss and Dennis Green's infamous meltdown. Leenert's post Cardinal career wasn't much better and saw him get opportunities to grab the reigns in Houston and Oakland only to get injured both times.

2010: John Skelton, 5th round-The infamour QB carousel of 2010: Derek Anderson-Max Hall-John Skelton-Richard Bartel. 5-11 and that was a miracle. He did go 5-2 in 2011 but 1-5 in 2012 and faded into obscurity after that.

2012: Ryan Lindley, 6th round-Oy. Not much needs to be said here only that this was our savior for the injury riddled 2014 year in which we won 11 games and got bounced from the playoffs by a sub-.500 team. Of course this same sub-.500 team went 15-1 the following year and made it to the SB by trouncing us but they were still a sub-.500 team.

2014-Logan Thomas, 4th round-This is all you need to know about this pick. Not only is this the only QB BASK has drafted to this day, he is still in the league...as a TE. 'Nuff said.

So, as you can see our QB drafting history is spotty at best which leads one to not have a whole lot of confidence in drafting a viable QBOTF any time soon.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I'm limiting this to the AZ version of the Cards but frankly, the St. Louis Cardinals weren't much better but here are every QB this team has ever drafted and how they fared here or anywhere after they left here:

1988: Tom Tupa, 3rd round-Our poor man's Danny White. A P/QB combo. Some would say he was drafted to be our punter but unless you're name is Ray Guy, you do not draft a punter in the 3rd round. No, he was drafted to be a QB first but no more than a backup, which is strange to draft in the 3rd round. He only made sporadic appearances at either position until 1991 when he was thrust into the starting job when Rosenbach got injured and he filled in admirably for a few games but he really wasn't an NFL QB. Incidentally, he did go onto a fruitful career upon leaving here. He even made the Pro Bowl once as a punter and he has the distinction of being the first player to score on a 2 point conversion when he was a Brown. He retired after the 2004 season.

1989: Timm Rosenbach, 1st round(supplemental draft)-Drafted with a lot of promise. Sat for a year then became the starter for the 1990 season and showed a lot of promise. He was Jake Plummer before there was a Jake Plummer. He would run and had a good arm but his accuracy needed honing. Unfortunately he blew out his knee kn training camp the next year and was never the same and was out of football by 1993.

1991: Jeff Bridewell, 12th round-Pretty much an UDFA but these were the days when the draft was 12 rounds. He never saw the field.

1992: Tony Sacca, 2nd round-Essentially our first round draft pick but Bugel taking him so high was a head scratcher then. His career line is 4 out of 11 for 29 yards and 2 int's. He never saw a professional football field again after the '92 season.

1995: Stoney Case, 2nd round-Another head scratcher of a high pick but such was Buddy Ryan's tenure. Case barely saw the field and but after leaving the Cards he actually won a few games in Baltimore and Detroit and had pretty much the same career in the Arena Football League.

1997: Jake Plummer, 2nd round-This is probably our most successful drafted QB since Neil Lomax and we haven't been able to draft a decent QB since. Jake was Jake. He's put you behind by 17 points then lead you to victory in the 2nd half. He was as exciting as he was unpredictable. Jake led us to our first playoff win in almost 50 years in 1998 and had a couple of productive years before leaving for Denver where he finished out his career. To the shock of no one, he's now one of the leading advocates for legalizing marijuana.

1999: Chris Greison, 7th round-While he never could find his niche in the NFL, Chris had an outstanding AFL career with a TD-INT ratio of 324-40 and at one time held the AFL's single season TD record with 117 TD passes(it has since been broken, shattered really). He even won a championship with the short lived UFL in 2010.

2002: Josh McCown, 3rd round-While not a flashy QB, John has had a pretty distinguished NFL career and is the longest tenured NFL QB the Cards have ever drafted(Jim Hart was an undrafted FA). While his abilities are hardly that of a top notch QB, he has a reputation of being a decent game manager who's skills won't win you many games but won't beat you either. Josh is the epitome of the journeyman QB who just might find his way home. He's also one of the nicest people on the planet. Of course our fondest memory of him is bringing the Cards on a lengthy drive culminating in a memorable TD to Nate Poole to knock the Vikings out of the playoffs in 2003.

2004: John Navarre, 7th round-Didn't see the field often but did start 1 game. Didn't go well.

2006: Matt Leenert, 1st round: Our QBOTF who showed flashes in his rookie season but Ken Whisenhunt refused to develop him and before long, he fell off the face of the earth with his only claim to fame is leading the Cards to a 23-3 lead on a MNF game against the then undefeated Bears only to see Dennis Green put the ball in his pocket leading us to a 24-23 loss and Dennis Green's infamous meltdown. Leenert's post Cardinal career wasn't much better and saw him get opportunities to grab the reigns in Houston and Oakland only to get injured both times.

2010: John Skelton, 5th round-The infamour QB carousel of 2010: Derek Anderson-Max Hall-John Skelton-Richard Bartel. 5-11 and that was a miracle. He did go 5-2 in 2011 but 1-5 in 2012 and faded into obscurity after that.

2012: Ryan Lindley, 6th round-Oy. Not much needs to be said here only that this was our savior for the injury riddled 2014 year in which we won 11 games and got bounced from the playoffs by a sub-.500 team. Of course this same sub-.500 team went 15-1 the following year and made it to the SB by trouncing us but they were still a sub-.500 team.

2014-Logan Thomas, 4th round-This is all you need to know about this pick. Not only is this the only QB BASK has drafted to this day, he is still in the league...as a TE. 'Nuff said.

So, as you can see our QB drafting history is spotty at best which leads one to not have a whole lot of confidence in drafting a viable QBOTF any time soon.

Excellent summary, NJCF.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is why I laugh at all the people who think the solution is the draft. First off Keim has passed on any QB of value. Second Keims early picks have not been stellar, Keim saw something in Logan Thomas LOL. We better pray a vet becomes available for trade, like Luck, Foles, Taylor etc or Bridgewater/Keenum. The odds of hitting on a QB are low and the odds Keim doing it are lower, Keim is terrible especially early in the draft. He couldnt get a quality Guard with the 7th overall pick!

Last edited:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
This is why I laugh at all the people who think the solution is the draft. First off Keim has passed on any QB of value. Second Keims early picks have not been stellar, Keim saw something in Logan Thomas LOL. We better pray a vet becomes available for trade, like Luck, Foles, Taylor etc or Bridgewater/Keenum. The odds of hitting on a QB are low and the odds Keim doing it are lower.

Good thought, DCF. But, on the other hand, investing only 1 1st round (of the regular draft) pick on the all-important QB position since 1988 is a highly questionable approach that could very well be the primary reason why the Cardinals have gone through a turnstile of QBs since they arrived in Arizona.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yep... not a great history. I've been in a lot of QB conversations across the board, and I really do believe this is the year we get a good one, I just don't think we're going to see the team moving up too far from #15 to get one.

It's such a deep draft this year that I'm almost tempted to stand pat and see who falls.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good thought, DCF. But, on the other hand, investing only 1 1st round (of the regular draft) pick on the all-important QB position since 1988 is a highly questionable approach that could very well be the primary reason why the Cardinals have gone through a turnstile of QBs since they arrived in Arizona.

I am for drafting one and I am for drafting one early every year ala Green Bay, Just because of the importance of the position. I was just alluding to everyone who thinks its as easy, as just selecting a QB to fix the problem. The odds are alot closer to landing another Logan Thomas/John Skelton, than it is to land someone of quality, who could really be a legitimate starter

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is why I laugh at all the people who think the solution is the draft. First off Keim has passed on any QB of value. Second Keims early picks have not been stellar, Keim saw something in Logan Thomas LOL. We better pray a vet becomes available for trade, like Luck, Foles, Taylor etc or Bridgewater/Keenum. The odds of hitting on a QB are low and the odds Keim doing it are lower, Keim is terrible especially early in the draft. He couldnt get a quality Guard with the 7th overall pick!
I also agree with you that "just draft a guy" doesn't deliver much hope, but 13 guys in 30 years at any point in the draft is particularly risk-averse.

I would love to see the QB drafting history of every team in the same span and see if there's a team who drafted less.

(Although maybe teams with players like Elway, Young, Aikman, etc. took less, but that's because the salary cap didn't mean your backup was inevitably going to leave all the time.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am for drafting one and I am for drafting one early every year ala Green Bay, Just because of the importance of the position. I was just alluding to everyone who thinks its as easy, as just selecting a QB to fix the problem. The odds are alot closer to landing another Logan Thomas/John Skelton, than it is to land someone of quality, who could really be a legitimate starter

I agree to some extent. We need to draft a guy high because we need a cost controlled starter and a QB who is identified as "the Cardinals QB"... not "the Bengals QB who played for the Raiders and now is finishing off his career in arizona"

It would be nice to have the position locked down for 15-20 years....

as a cardinal fan this draft gives me hope as well as nightmares. Six possible franchise QB's in a single draft...SIX!! That is amazing!
But then Cardinal history creeps in...and it crosses my mind five of those guys may go on to have fantastic careers in the NFL,...while the guy we pick will battle injuries, drugs, domestic abuse, and general mediocrity while his rookie contract runs its course...and he will fade into the lore of yet another failed cardinal QB pick...

But past failures should never stop anyone from trying again... in my mind Steve Keim has yet to select a QB... IMO Logan Thomas was picked as a favor to BA...might not be true... but thats how I see it...and for better or for worse, Logan Thomas is STILL in the NFL... just not as a QB

so, my redbird PTSD aside..I am choosing to trust Keim with this,, the most important draft pick made in "Arizona" Cardinals history...we have a solid defense, the best RB in the entire league...add in a solid rook and an interior lineman and we are good..add in an athletic tall WR and we are great...
if the expectation is that we continue winning this pick has to be right.

I watched combine interviews and good morning football interviews, all that... and I noticed our staff really focused on a QB with "fire, competitiveness, the ability to elevate his team mates"... that had me thinking they favor Baker Mayfield...
then I saw a mock that had us trading up to Indys spot at #3 and selecting... Baker Mayfield...and it makes too much sense.
I didnt see the cost of the trade up...whatever it was I am sure many will complain its too much... but their complaints will be forgotten soon enough as long as the team wins.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
But past failures should never stop anyone from trying again... in my mind Steve Keim has yet to select a QB... IMO Logan Thomas was picked as a favor to BA...might not be true... but thats how I see it...and for better or for worse, Logan Thomas is STILL in the NFL... just not as a QB

Keim loves guys who switched positions for one reason, Brandon Williams, Reddick, Thomas, Buchanon. If its a small School guy or player who switched positions, its a Keim pick!

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

Spotty is waaaaay too kind. It's abysmal.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of good points here and if you compare it with other positions, QB is probably at the bottom of successful draft picks with Plummer and to a lesser extent, McCown the only real successes we can point to. And while it's true that drafting a QB is a crap shoot but I can go down the list of every NFL team and show their successes(with the exception being the reincarnated Browns). Hell, the Eagles have drafted at least 2 plums in McNabb and Wentz and in doing so, defied the fans in how they did it. First, they bypassed Ricky Williams and took McNabb then they traded up to get Wentz(then got their draft pick back in trading Bradford).

To put that into perspective, since 1962, the Cards had 3 primary QB's: Charlie Johnson, Jim Hart, Neil Lomax(no, Sammy Garza doesn't count). There were others who started games but only a few here and there those 3 men were the primary QB's. That's 3 primary starters over a period of 26 seasons. If we're throwing in every QB who started at least 1 game since 1960, that total would be 19. This includes the 2 clowns during the replacement games in 1987 so in reality, only 17 different QB's started at least 1 game in the history of the St. Louis Cardinals. By contrast, the PHX/AZ Cardinals have had 34 different QB's start at least 1 game since 1988 which the same period of time.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

This Xs one hundred plus two recording our outcome. It's attention to the position and not ability when you have a second rounder who was solid and a first rounder who in my opinion gets a wash due to the coaching and then how he handled according to his character... we simply need to act early :)

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

This one had to be the biggest WTF. As a PSU fan I remember him and his career completion pct. at PSU was..................are you ready for this:

48.7%

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This one had to be the biggest WTF. As a PSU fan I remember him and his career completion pct. at PSU was..................are you ready for this:

48.7%
To be honest, 1992 was a garbage draft if you didn't have a first round pick or a high 2nd round pick. Of course we did pick a guy in the 4th round who we cut who went on to play 10 seasons, make 3 pro bowls, was a 2 time all pro and won a title in Tampa. His name was Jeff Christy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave