• Sam Bradford

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • other

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot of talk on this board about getting that "bridge" qb and drafting a qb. Who would you want to see as that qb? And why?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I voted for Bradford. I know, I know, his knees and overall health are a big concern but he's actually stayed healthy 2/3 years and his knee problem last year wasn't an actual "injury". It was related to his surgically repaired knee but they just couldn't figure out what the issue was until very late in the process. I think they've got that all cleaned up now and for a year or three, I think he'll be good to go. Playing in warm weather would benefit him too IMO. Those brittle bones must get achy on cold days.

Foles is another good choice but I've just got a negative instinct about him if he's not in the perfect situation. And I really don't know what the Cardinals are going to be doing so I'm not sure he'll fit. I don't know, there's just something gnawing at me about the Cardinals getting him.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If Teddy Bridgewater is available, I would want him brought in as the QBoF.

As for a bridge QB ? Taylor, Bradford or McCown is fine with me. It would be fun to see McCown end it where he began.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I wonder what it is about Taylor? I've watched him play on occasion and what I see just doesn't match the good numbers. His TD/INT ratio is very good and his completion % seems fine(at least) but when I watch him play I'm just not impressed. I realize he's been in a shaky situation in Buffalo but in the games I've seen, he's as much of a part of the problem as anything.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Taylor, Foles, Keenum, and others aren't "bridge" quarterbacks.

Josh McCown is a bridge to the QBoF.

I pick McCown and a first-rounder not named Allen.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I picked McCarron, but honestly would be fine with a lot of that list. I think McCarron is the perfect situation - won't break the bank, and can come in and compete to be the starter vs. a first or second round pick. However, I don't know that McCarron would be a true "bridge" QB.

I think Bradford is probably the ideal guy to sign and say "Sam, you're going to start here for at least a year, but the goal for us is to find a quarterback of the future, so be ready to possibly be replaced." He's a little younger than I thought he is though, so I wonder if he'd be open for that.

The only one I want nothing to do with is Glennon.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
+1 again!

They might think they are not but none of them have any real sustained success to suggest otherwise except maybe Cousins who I still see as a tease if you want to win. The are available because they satisfy the bridge title first with the slight possibility of being your franchise QB... but I have never seen so many ideal bridge QBs and such a heavy QB laden draft, a great year for drafting a quarterback in my opinion!

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I picked McCarron, but honestly would be fine with a lot of that list. I think McCarron is the perfect situation - won't break the bank, and can come in and compete to be the starter vs. a first or second round pick. However, I don't know that McCarron would be a true "bridge" QB.

I think Bradford is probably the ideal guy to sign and say "Sam, you're going to start here for at least a year, but the goal for us is to find a quarterback of the future, so be ready to possibly be replaced." He's a little younger than I thought he is though, so I wonder if he'd be open for that.

The only one I want nothing to do with is Glennon.

I think McCarron is going to "want to get paid". I think Cleveland with their offer of two draft picks will inflate his ego and he'll think he is at least worth what Glennon got paid.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think McCarron is going to "want to get paid". I think Cleveland with their offer of two draft picks will inflate his ego and he'll think he is at least worth what Glennon got paid.
Even what Glennon got paid isn't that terrible for a QB right now.

Remember, the market is going to dictate his services. How many teams are going to get into a true bidding war over McCarron? Cousins, sure. Not AJ.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keenum is just past his rookie year himself. Once he, Bradford, Foles, Goff and the like got away from Jeff Fisher, they turned into productive quarterbacks. And they're not signing one year deals. You won't pay one of them 17 million dollars a year to play six games for you. Any of them would thrive in the right offense with the right protection.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Even what Glennon got paid isn't that terrible for a QB right now.

Remember, the market is going to dictate his services. How many teams are going to get into a true bidding war over McCarron? Cousins, sure. Not AJ.

Maybe we differ on the meaning of "not breaking the bank". I would think if the cards were going to pay 18 mil for an unknown, I would rather add 6 to it and get the known product. Not breaking the bank to me would be an unproven vet QB at or under 10 mil a year.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Maybe we differ on the meaning of "not breaking the bank". I would think if the cards were going to pay 18 mil for an unknown, I would rather add 6 to it and get the known product. Not breaking the bank to me would be an unproven vet QB at or under 10 mil a year.

You have to remember that the salary cap keeps increasing. You’re adding about $2 million on average year over year in terms of quarterback market value (or so a statistic I was given said). Plus the structure of that contract let the Bears get out of it reasonably easy without a ton of dead money.

There was “only” $18 million guaranteed, but the lifetime contract was $45 million. In reality, it’s a $15 million average yearly salary. That’s much more palatable than Carson’s $20-$25.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
You have to remember that the salary cap keeps increasing. You’re adding about $2 million on average year over year in terms of quarterback market value (or so a statistic I was given said). Plus the structure of that contract let the Bears get out of it reasonably easy without a ton of dead money.

There was “only” $18 million guaranteed, but the lifetime contract was $45 million. In reality, it’s a $15 million average yearly salary. That’s much more palatable than Carson’s $20-$25.

Agreed, but like I said I would rather pay Cousins 24 mil then an unknown 18. Just my opinion, I mean it's not my money. They could structure a contract for Cousins that would keep his cap hit next year down around 20 mil if they want to pay him a bunch of upfront money.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can’t believe I’m saying this... but yes... McCown (and not Allen QBOTF) IS THE ANSWER!

Other QBs are gonna cost too much scratch, that money needs to go elsewhere to build the team and when we draft a young kid, we’re all gonna be itching to get him in there by Week 5 if not sooner anyway.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Agreed, but like I said I would rather pay Cousins 24 mil then an unknown 18. Just my opinion, I mean it's not my money. They could structure a contract for Cousins that would keep his cap hit next year down around 20 mil if they want to pay him a bunch of upfront money.

I love Cousins, but the difference would be much heartier than that. The contract for Glennon was more like $15m per, Cousins is likely to be $25-$30m per. Glennon’s deal really is cheap compared to what Cousins will get.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Really makes you wonder if the Browns will go after him now? I mean, why not go after the guy they wanted, still have two first round picks and plenty of cap space? They could take two studs in the draft and build a helluva team around McCarron. Or was that a different management team that made the trade for him(then fouled it up)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA