Jurecki pretty confident Mathieu will be gone if number not adjusted

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Just finished up DMing him regarding Mathieu at this current price. Seems pretty sure of himself that unless that number drops, Mathieu will be gone.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
A lot of us have been speculating that. He's foolish to not renegotiate.

He wouldn't be losing any money, just making the contract more cap friendly for the Cards.

In 2 years he collected $21.67M and he's still due $9.3M of his signing bonus = $31.67 (he made in 2 years by signing the 5 year deal).

With the $31.67M already in the bank, he can walk away and try to get a new deal for more guaranteed money, with a team of his choice.

Mathieu is on record as saying that he thinks all NFL contracts should be guaranteed.

It doesn't help the Cardinals' cause for getting TM to rework his contract that Calais Campbell and Tony Jefferson cashed in last year on the FA market and appear to be happier where they are.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If Mathieu gets released, wonder what Mathieu thinks he will get in the market?

The other teams watch the same tape.

In a statement of extreme hubris, I think the best decision for Mathieu is obvious, restructure your contract, back load it, and go out and earn the big money next season.

The potential is there for Mathieu, the coach that is here is a supposed defensive back wizard, so all the best opportunities are here for Mathieu, but he is no way shape or form in a position to commend top 5 defensive back money next season here in AZ, or anywhere in the league.

JMHO

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confident he is gone if his contract doesn't change too.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mathieu is on record as saying that he thinks all NFL contracts should be guaranteed.

Well, Tyrann, your contract can be guaranteed when your excellent play can be guaranteed.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
A lot of us have been speculating that. He's foolish to not renegotiate.

He wouldn't be losing any money, just making the contract more cap friendly for the Cards.

The problem is---when TM's chief concern is guaranteed money---he would likely tell you that he would be foolish not to pocket the $31.67M he's already made the last two years with the Cardinals and sign a deal elsewhere for the new guaranteed money he would receive.

What the Cardinals would have to do is offer Mathieu the kind of guaranteed money he would likely receive elsewhere....which, in his and his agent's minds, would likely be a good deal more than what the Cardinals at this point would consider. That's why the odds are pretty strong that TM is moving on. Like he tweeted, "much can change in a month."

One might think that Mathieu should be grateful for all that the Cardinals have done for him---drafting him when 31 other teams passed him by for 3 rounds---giving him such a lucrative contract a year ahead of schedule and after his second ACL tear---but, Mathieu probably thinks that he deserved all of the money he's received from the Cardinals for way out playing a 3rd rounder's contract for 3 years and making up for it with $31.67 the past two years. He still believes that he's one of the best defensive players in the NFL.

Plus, the two coaches TM was closest to, BA and TB, are gone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Mathieu could get 6mil per year on the open market along with guaranteed money. Getting cut hurts him as he is out like 14mil guaranteed over two years, but he could make that pretty easily.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Mathieu could get 6mil per year on the open market along with guaranteed money. Getting cut hurts him as he is out like 14mil guaranteed over two years, but he could make that pretty easily.

Agreed, and the Cardinals could replace Mathieu's middle of the road play at nickel back pretty easily, so I guess it will be win, win when he leaves.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In 2 years he collected $21.67M and he's still due $9.3M of his signing bonus = $31.67 (he made in 2 years by signing the 5 year deal).

With the $31.67M already in the bank, he can walk away and try to get a new deal for more guaranteed money, with a team of his choice.

It doesn't help the Cardinals' cause for getting TM to rework his contract that Calais Campbell and Tony Jefferson cashed in last year on the FA market and appear to be happier where they are.
unfortunately for him, he's one of the poster boys why teams don't want to give out fully guaranteed contracts.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When Doug asked over/under of an 8% (not 80% just 8%) chance Mathieu returns; Jurecki took the under that's how gone Mathieu is.

Will continue to root for TM where ever he plays. Good guy. Good story.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's already got the money ($9.3m) from the signing bonus, right? That's just counting against the Cards' cap.

Every player thinks they should be guaranteed. Every owner thinks they should not be. The rules are what they are.

But they were FA's, TM isn't. Slight difference. If TM decides to snub the Cards he'll be walking away from approx $42mil for the next 4 seasons. I just don't see another team giving him that kind of $$ coming off two ACL tears, not to mention his play this past season was sub-par. At least not a team that thinks reasonably.

Seems like renegotiating with a nice signing bonus (and maybe a roster bonus this year) could make both parties happy.

Last edited:

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/player/tyrann-mathieu/2450/

"If Mathieu is on the roster on the first day of the 2018 league year he will earn a $5 million roster bonus and guarantee his entire 2018 salary and $8 million of his 2019 salary".

The way I read it, Mathieu has made $21.25 the last two years.

If he is on the roster March 14th he is guaranteed an additional $18.75 million.

The problem for Mathieu is that the Cardinals desire cap space and his replacement (Budda Baker) is already on the roster.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think there will be a big market for him if he hits FA. I think everyone is selling him a little short (no pun intended). I would hate to see us lose him for nothing

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The scary thing is I just can’t shake the weird feeling he will end up going to Seattle to replace the soon-departed Earl Thomas.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Honey Badger would 100% get more in the next 2 years (the only thing that's guaranteed in the NFL) with another team if released than he would if he stayed here and lowered his salary. 100%.

Especially because he'd be released — the inefficiency in the market that teams are seeing now is that you can sign released players without affecting your comp picks.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
And, of course, since I got his jersey before this past season, that sealed it and he will be gone in short order...thus joining my illustrious collection of ex-Cardinal jerseys (Rosenbach, Plummer, Rice, Kolb, Washington).

Who's Cardinal career should I end next season by buying their jersey? I'm taking suggestions! :D :bang:

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think there will be a big market for him if he hits FA. I think everyone is selling him a little short (no pun intended). I would hate to see us lose him for nothing
Exactly. He didn’t give up a td the whole season in coverage and plays almost every snap on d and special teams. Towards the end of the season I think he was getting back slowly to himself. With a full offseason I hope we see HB ready to prove his worth.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
And, of course, since I got his jersey before this past season, that sealed it and he will be gone in short order...thus joining my illustrious collection of ex-Cardinal jerseys (Rosenbach, Plummer, Rice, Kolb, Washington).

Who's Cardinal career should I end next season by buying their jersey? I'm taking suggestions! :D :bang:
Keim please :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave