Wilks and Coordinators: Clear and Concise

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
When speaking at OC Mike McCoy's press conference, Steve Wilks reiterated his coaching philosophy of being "clear and concise." He said that in filling out his staff he is looking for coaches who are excellent teachers---ones who can relate to a wide variety of personas.

With Steve Willks---the early impression is---the words and the music match.

Wilks does not seem the least bit over-awed by the job. He is very careful and clear about the things he says. His sincerity is a good deal louder than his words. One could tell that he found exactly what he was looking for in McCoy, Rodgers and Holcomb. Therefore, he could have easily gushed about them during the intros, instead he empowered them with his trust and the belief that they will breed the kind of consistent effort and achievement they are looking for.

When Wilks talks about individual players, he keeps it real. He said that he believes it is of paramount importance to listen to the players (to learn and know what they are seeing), but ultimately he and the coaches are going to what's best for the team.

When Wilks talked about special teams---he said he expects every player on the roster to view it as a "privilege" to play STs and an opportunity to help the team win.

With Wilks, McCoy, STC Jeff Rodgers and DC Al Holcomb, the most salient common denominator---is their individual and collective poise. Wilks has made it crystal clear what their roles are---he wants to have hand in all three phases and he said that he believes coordinators should be hired to call the plays. In fact, just when some might have thought he would spend more time with the defense, the reverse is true. He said that because he and Al Holcomb have worked together for many years, he knows that Holcomb will be in lock-step with their common philosophy---that they share the same defensive "DNA."

At the press conferences, all three of the newly appointed coordinators elected not to make in-depth introductory comments in favor of getting right to the Q&As. They all wanted to get to the point.

What was so common about their answers to the questions was how measured, grounded and even-keeled that all are. These answers were very Patriots'-esque. Informative and direct, no frills.

When asked about individual players, particularly the star players---none of the took them bait. Instead of gushing about a player's talent, their comments were more on the line of "I'm excited to meet with him and work with him."

Holcomb even mentioned how important it is for the coaches and the players to embrace the team's "core values." That the most important one of all "is try to get better every meeting and each and every day."

When we were first introduced to Steve Wilks he said something very similar about how expects that once the players abetter the building each day, they make it their goal to put everything else aside and get to work---that not only this is expected from the players but from everyone who works at the facility, including the maintenance and cafeteria staff.

In conclusion, Wilks and his coaches are making clear that---this is just the beginning---the hard work is ahead of them---they are up for the day to day challenge---and they fully intend to do what Steve Wilks urges most: "finish in every aspect."

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch, Quite a different atmosphere than when BA took over. I don't think BA ever thought he was going to be a head coach especially at his age. He seemed to be paying off a debt when made HC and hired coaches that he worked with though-out his career. Some of them were his old buddies from when he was HC at Temple. I don't want to be critical of BA because we did have 3 good years under him but he just didn't have it in him to fire any of the coaches. He never held them accountable. I'm also not sure they were good teachers as many of the players just never got better.
The staff that Wilks has seems just much more business like and professional. Lets hope they can produce a winning team.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
To me it's up to SK what this team does. What kind of team he puts together for Wilks to run. Who the QB is and who the number two CB is. If he gets those two spots right everything else can fall into place. Wide receivers are plentiful both in free agency and the draft and he needs a couple of guards. Again shouldn't be a problem. There is not a single one of these coaches that I wanted us to get, but if they win us a Super Bowl then I will be more than happy because anyone that makes us a winner is all that matters.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, Quite a different atmosphere than when BA took over. I don't think BA ever thought he was going to be a head coach especially at his age. He seemed to be paying off a debt when made HC and hired coaches that he worked with though-out his career. Some of them were his old buddies from when he was HC at Temple. I don't want to be critical of BA because we did have 3 good years under him but he just didn't have it in him to fire any of the coaches. He never held them accountable. I'm also not sure they were good teachers as many of the players just never got better.
The staff that Wilks has seems just much more business like and professional. Lets hope they can produce a winning team.

Great points, az jam.

I did my utmost best to try to avoid mentioning BA and his staff in this blog.

At one one point I erased saying" "With these coaches you won't be hearing descriptors like "elite" or phrases like "Hall of Fame."

But, I recognize and appreciate (as you do) that for three years BA had it rolling and he was the swag, roll the dice coach the Cardinals needed...and then, like a lot of things in life, it faded.

Ron Wofley said a smart thing after BA retired---sometimes when you make a change it's nice to go in an opposite direction. Well, we are seeing very clearly that MB&SK wanted a clean break from the past and fresh start on the future. And I have to say that Steve Wilks is a thoroughly impressive coach and person. He is laser focused. And if you saw his press conference with Mike McCoy, even though McCoy was a HC for 4 years, there was no question who the HC in the room was. That is very very impressive.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
To me it's up to SK what this team does. What kind of team he puts together for Wilks to run. Who the QB is and who the number two CB is. If he gets those two spots right everything else can fall into place. Wide receivers are plentiful both in free agency and the draft and he needs a couple of guards. Again shouldn't be a problem. There is not a single one of these coaches that I wanted us to get, but if they win us a Super Bowl then I will be more than happy because anyone that makes us a winner is all that matters.

The good news is, Gary, that Wilks has made it clear that he and his coaches are willing and eager to develop the players SK sends their way---and tat they will adapt their schemes to the players' strengths---and make a determined effort to connect with all of the players, especially the ones who have different personas.

That is a GM's dream come true.

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
Great points, az jam.

I did my utmost best to try to avoid mentioning BA and his staff in this blog.

At one one point I erased saying" "With these coaches you won't be hearing descriptors like "elite" or phrases like "Hall of Fame."

But, I recognize and appreciate (as you do) that for three years BA had it rolling and he was the swag, roll the dice coach the Cardinals needed...and then, like a lot of things in life, it faded.

Ron Wofley said a smart thing after BA retired---sometimes when you make a change it's nice to go in an opposite direction. Well, we are seeing very clearly that MB&SK wanted a clean break from the past and fresh start on the future. And I have to say that Steve Wilks is a thoroughly impressive coach and person. He is laser focused. And if you saw his press conference with Mike McCoy, even though McCoy was a HC for 4 years, there was no question who the HC in the room was. That is very very impressive.

This was very noticeable and something I picked up on too, re clearly being the HC. I think we could have found a keeper.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We will see when the ammo is live and it counts for real. I too am impressed with the demeanor of the HC. It looks like he’s ready for it. Now it remains to see if the players “buy in” or not.

As someone else said in another post I am in a “show me” mode. Of course, I wasn’t born in Missouri but just across the river in Kansas :)

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
We will see when the ammo is live and it counts for real. I too am impressed with the demeanor of the HC. It looks like he’s ready for it. Now it remains to see if the players “buy in” or not.

As someone else said in another post I am in a “show me” mode. Of course, I wasn’t born in Missouri but just across the river in Kansas :)

I have a very strong feeling that any player who doesn't buy in will be buying a house in another state. Like Wilks said..."when you enter that door each day..."

Reactions: TRW

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
The good news is, Gary, that Wilks has made it clear that he and his coaches are willing and eager to develop the players SK sends their way---and tat they will adapt their schemes to the players' strengths---and make a determined effort to connect with all of the players, especially the ones who have different personas.

That is a GM's dream come true.
I am really hoping that's what happens. This will be the most interesting off-season in quite a while.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am really hoping that's what happens. This will be the most interesting off-season in quite a while.

Yeah. They are going to release most of the players on the offensive side of the ball. It would surprise if there are not 7 new starters playing the first offensive snap of the season.