Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I hope they don’t have pitch clocks.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If they want to speed up the game, they need to enforce the actual strike zone, I think.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal

Commissioner Rob Manfred and union chief Tony Clark will meet on pace of play next week, sources tell The Athletic. Gap between sides remains significant and likely prohibitive. Manfred maintains right to implement initial proposal by MLB. Union rejected upgraded proposal.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Does the players union want people not to bother watching the games? I LOVE baseball and it's impossible to sit through.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the players union want people not to bother watching the games? I LOVE baseball and it's impossible to sit through.

No kidding. From both the players and managers, a quickening of the pace would help out immensely

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
No kidding. From both the players and managers, a quickening of the pace would help out immensely
I've wondered if the batters needing to re-do the straps on their batting gloves is necessary after every pitch, even if they don't swing at it. What next? Tying their shoes after each pitch? Then the pitchers react to throw off their timing. An on and on. Where will it all lead? To the batters and pitchers pulling down their pants after each pitch to adjust their cups? :eek:

It has become part of the one-upmanship between batter and pitcher. It needs the League office to take them both down (speed them up) a few notches.

As a traditionalist, I did not agree with the no-pitch intentional walk, but I admit it has helped the game. But that might happen a few at-bats per game. Timing the pitcher, who initiates each play, would happen on every single pitch. That comes to what? Over 300 per game?

Reaction score
I'd like to see fewer pitches in between innings. If a pitcher is replaced due to injury then they get all they need, as it is now.

If you've been warming up in the bullpen you get 2, maybe 3 pitches then "batter up". The mounds should not be that different to warrant more throws to familiarize yourself.

Pitchers returning to the mound after your team bats: You get 1 pitch per batter you sat out for, with the ump allowing more or less if deemed so. If your bats go 3 up and 3 down you probably didn't sit there very long.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I like the proposed changes. I don't care so much about game length and while I typically enjoy the leisurely aspect of baseball, they just stretch out every moment too far

So much more enjoyable when there is a good pace to them

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've wondered if the batters needing to re-do the straps on their batting gloves is necessary after every pitch, even if they don't swing at it. What next? Tying their shoes after each pitch? Then the pitchers react to throw off their timing. An on and on. Where will it all lead? To the batters and pitchers pulling down their pants after each pitch to adjust their cups? :eek:

It has become part of the one-upmanship between batter and pitcher. It needs the League office to take them both down (speed them up) a few notches.

As a traditionalist, I did not agree with the no-pitch intentional walk, but I admit it has helped the game. But that might happen a few at-bats per game. Timing the pitcher, who initiates each play, would happen on every single pitch. That comes to what? Over 300 per game?

Don't let them leave the box at all and that will slow if not outright stop the glove stuff. The batter is simply using the glove thing as a way to give them a moment to think about what the pitcher is doing next.

Pitcher cannot leave the mound during an AB unless it is to field a ball in play would speed things up too and those things should speed up every AB.

Fall League games had a pitch clock and both games I attended went less than 3 hours and both had a fairly high number of runs scored.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still think, as I said earlier, that expanding, or at least calling the strike zone as it was originally intended, can possibly help shorten the games. It does this by the pitchers throwing more strikes (and fewer balls), thus more strike outs, fewer walks. The pitcher doesn't have to groove the pitches right down the middle, thus giving the batters an advantage to get more hits/home runs.

It would take away from the offense and make more of a pitchers game, but should decrease the game times.

At least it makes some sense to me.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I still think, as I said earlier, that expanding, or at least calling the strike zone as it was originally intended, can possibly help shorten the games. It does this by the pitchers throwing more strikes (and fewer balls), thus more strike outs, fewer walks. The pitcher doesn't have to groove the pitches right down the middle, thus giving the batters an advantage to get more hits/home runs.

It would take away from the offense and make more of a pitchers game, but should decrease the game times.

At least it makes some sense to me.
But fans wants to see runs scored vs. pitchers throwing strikeouts. I think the League has to work around that to speed up the games.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jon Morosi‏Verified account@jonmorosi 12m12 minutes ago
Significant @MLB rule change for 2018: "Mound visits without a pitching change shall be limited to six per team, per nine innings. For any extra-innings played, each Club shall be entitled to one additional non-pitching change mound visit per inning." @MLBNetwork

Jon Morosi‏Verified account@jonmorosi 11m11 minutes ago
Important @MLB rule exception: "Home plate umpire may, upon request of the catcher, allow the catcher to make a brief mound visit" if six visits have been exhausted and umpire believes a cross-up in signs occurred. Union has been concerned about cross-up injury risk. @MLBNetwork

Jon Morosi‏Verified account@jonmorosi 7m7 minutes ago
Key detail: @MLB won't issue ball-strike penalties for violations of pace-of-play rules. However, "players who consistently or flagrantly violate the time limits will be subject to progressive discipline for just cause" by commissioner. That could include fines. @MLBNetwork

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson