Bidwill at a Crossroad

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So basically, if Shurmur is the top choice there is nothing we can do about it at this time. The cards setting up second interviews for other eligible coaches, could very well could be due diligence on a plan b, rather then feet dragging?? Or am I just naive?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Yep. Pretty much. Shurmer has options so it is best to have a plan b, c, etc.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Nice history lesson. I do think they need a strong personality for HC AND a meticulously prepared staff.

I know developing a QB and coaching whoever the vet is that comes over will be crucial. So Shurmer should be the priority as I see it.

But I won't dismiss the other two if they impress with charisma and can deliver on top notch coordinators. They need to do their due diligence here.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Based on the last 10 years, Michael Bidwill i
The whole Graves thing provides a unique context:

My major gripe about Rod was that he wasn't very proactive about fixing our OL for once & for all.

SK was far more proactive about making changes, but where did that leave us? (With several gaps in our OL lineup)

What to do? Stay the course? Blow up the whole deal? Neither strategy has worked. So what do we need to do?

Hire an OL guru to evaluate OL talent better? (We did that with Russ Grimm. How'd that work out)?

Only thing else I can think of might be to hire a respected assistant or HC from a team with a tradition of solid OL's and go from there.

That is why I think Munchak is the front runner for this job.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
(Posted on another thread) - Based on what Michael says, one of the 7 or so candidates will separate himself from the pack and "they'll know."

As I see it, decision figures to be based more on chemistry and gut-instinct than it does backround or resume.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
(Posted on another thread) - Based on what Michael says, one of the 7 or so candidates will separate himself from the pack and "they'll know."

As I see it, decision figures to be based more on chemistry and gut-instinct than it does backround or resume.

Jeff, and everyone, this is the kind of passive aggressive approach that may cost the Cardinals a chance at signing the best candidate. This is what Ian Rapoport was alluding to.

It also gives MB&SK the excuse that "we were being thorough" when the top candidates are signed elsewhere.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Shurmur or Wilks. We’re gonna get one of them. If you want any this resolved soon, be a Saints fan tonight.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shurmur or Wilks. We’re gonna get one of them. If you want any this resolved soon, be a Saints fan tonight.
Shurmur to Giants is picking up steam per Rapoport

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jeff, and everyone, this is the kind of passive aggressive approach that may cost the Cardinals a chance at signing the best candidate. This is what Ian Rapoport was alluding to.

It also gives MB&SK the excuse that "we were being thorough" when the top candidates are signed elsewhere.
Whatever - I just think that's the way it'll go down.

Passive aggressive or not, it suggests that the #1 priority will be preserving the so-called "team culture." Is this a better way to hire a coach than say, "comes from a winning program", "calls cool offensive plays" or "gives inspiring locker-room talks", Maybe. Maybe not - I'm guessing there is an equal proportion of successes or failures with any approach.

As a fan, all I hope is that Michael and Steve are clear-headed about what they're looking for and remain true to the process that will get them there.

PS Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, Bill,Walsh and Vince Lombardi were all successes, yet each coached with differing styles and approaches

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A smart coach who wants to win would chose AZ over the Giants seven days a week. We were a 10-11 win team cut down by injuries. The Giants are sewage at this point. You may think its a glamour job, being a coach in NYC, but its the worst place in the world if you aren't winning.

Shurmur should be coming here.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love all the stories ‘picking up steam’. Yet we can’t sign anybody still in the playoffs nor can anybody else. How about this scenario? ‘Hey Pat, you are the man we want. You’re our guy. In spite of anything you hear in the media YOU are our #1 choice’. Shurmur replies, ‘ Great! Arizona is my #1 choice. The Giants have interviewed me but the wife and family love the idea of living in Arizona’. Bidwill, ‘ Cool. Have your agent call us and we’ll start hammering out the details’. Can’t tell me stuff like this don’t happen. For all we know the Cardinals and their future HC have an agreement in principle already in place.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Passive aggressive or not, it suggests that the #1 priority will be preserving the so-called "team culture." Is this a better way to hire a coach than say, "comes from a winning program", "calls cool offensive plays" or "gives inspiring locker-room talks", Maybe. Maybe not - I'm guessing there is an equal proportion of successes or failures with any approach.

As a fan, all I hope is that Michael and Steve are clear-headed about what they're looking for and remain true to the process that will get them there.

PS Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, Bill,Walsh and Vince Lombardi were all successes, yet each coached with differing styles and approaches

I am not criticizing you at all, Jeff. I appreciate your trust in MB&SK and you could be right and I could be wrong.

In my opinion, the team culture is the first thing that needs to change. The players showed up every other week (at best) for two years now. BA played favorites and created double standards. That has to change. BA and his staff were loath to integrating the rookies into the program and that has to change. Players were being called out publicly and very insultingly to the media---that has to change.

You are right about different coaching styles---but I wonder if Parcells or Lombardi would still be effective with today's players.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I love all the stories ‘picking up steam’. Yet we can’t sign anybody still in the playoffs nor can anybody else. How about this scenario? ‘Hey Pat, you are the man we want. You’re our guy. In spite of anything you hear in the media YOU are our #1 choice’. Shurmur replies, ‘ Great! Arizona is my #1 choice. The Giants have interviewed me but the wife and family love the idea of living in Arizona’. Bidwill, ‘ Cool. Have your agent call us and we’ll start hammering out the details’. Can’t tell me stuff like this don’t happen. For all we know the Cardinals and their future HC have an agreement in principle already in place.

:yeahthat:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not criticizing you at all, Jeff. I appreciate your trust in MB&SK and you could be right and I could be wrong.

In my opinion, the team culture is the first thing that needs to change. The players showed up every other week (at best) for two years now. BA played favorites and created double standards. That has to change. BA and his staff were loath to integrating the rookies into the program and that has to change. Players were being called out publicly and very insultingly to the media---that has to change.

You are right about different coaching styles---but I wonder if Parcells or Lombardi would still be effective with today's players.
Mitch: I didn't take your comment as criticism - just another viewpoint (among several others) that's equally as valid.

OT - As I write this, Big Ben just threw another insane TD pass to A Brown. Sometimes it's not the coaches who win games - just a couple of ballers on the field doing the impossible.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
The only thing I buy into is that the coach we want is still in the playoffs and that is why he isn't signed. So that means one of Shurmur, Munchak or Patricia is the guy.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I agree Jeff... one of my favorite things about the Cardinals is they really dont do embarrassing situations... by taking their time,...we are far less likely to have a coaching tenure ending in a PR disaster like the Giants just did...
I mean...we did have the Denny Green Monday night meltdown... but in general, the Cards stay out of the news unless it is positive...

I much prefer seeing our coaches retire or walk away rather than going down in flames.

I would hate a situation where we saw ownership or the GM shouting on the sidelines like we have seen in dallas and oakland at times

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
at least he aint...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Like Rod Graves did here for so damned long

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
Always enjoy your take on things Mitch. Makes me seem knowledgeable over here with minimum effort...!

Keep rocking the tin helmet.