NLDS: Arizona Diamondbacks Vs Los Angeles Dodgers thread Oct 6th-???

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Well this sucked! Great season, even better wild card game, but this playoff stunk bad!!

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Man, not how you wanted a great season to end. It would have been so perfect for Goldy to knock one into the seats. It's been fun, guys.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
An unexpected season really... Now Hazen and his troops have a TON of decisions and moves to make this offseason.. Should be a very interesting period to watch.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, swung at ball 4.

Thanks for a surprisingly good season, dbacks!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Just don't go swimming!!

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, will it be with a whimper or a roar? We will soon find out my friends.

Either way it’s been a lot of fun talking baseball with you guys all season. Lots of fun memories. I’ll miss it.

Let’s go bats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here Bert.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I hate living in this disgusting city when the Dodgers are doing well.

fudge off, Angelinos.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Why are the Dodger fans so obnoxious? They haven't won the World Series since 1988. I asked some fans tonight and they had no idea.

I typed this on my phone before. What I tried to say is they had no idea when "their" team won a world series. One young female Dodger fan was holding a big "DBags" sign and I asked her how old she was and she said "27". So I said, "so the Dodgers never won a World Series in your lifetime. She proceeded to tell me I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about. My wife laughed and said "you need to do your homework missy".

So called fans.

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Money players simply didn't produce..... Greinke and Goldschmidt come to mind.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
What are the chances that we can trade Greinke? He accounts for 1/3 of the payroll and completely choked in September/ October.... certainly not worth what he's getting paid.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What are the chances that we can trade Greinke? He accounts for 1/3 of the payroll and completely choked in September/ October.... certainly not worth what he's getting paid.

If you trade Greinke, you might as well blow the whole thing up and start over.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Won't that happen anyways with several players up for extensions.... namely goldy and JD? For a team with the 5th lowest payroll in the majors...having an albatross contract like greinke's severely limits the supporting cast, and greinke certainly isn't good enough, in my opinion, to justify keeping him. I'm not a baseball expert by any stretch, but watching greinke down the stretch and seeing how he collapses far too often... he's certainly not an ace pitcher in my point of view.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Won't that happen anyways with several players up for extensions.... namely goldy and JD? For a team with the 5th lowest payroll in the majors...having an albatross contract like greinke's severely limits the supporting cast, and greinke certainly isn't good enough, in my opinion, to justify keeping him. I'm not a baseball expert by any stretch, but watching greinke down the stretch and seeing how he collapses far too often... he's certainly not an ace pitcher in my point of view.

Greinke wasn't worth the contract the second it was signed. That contract also assured that we'd would not get equal talent value back if we traded him. It would be a dump. Price of overpaying as a small market team. So I don't disagree with where you're coming from.

I mean, I don't want to get full "debbie downer" on here, but there is certainly a perspective that this is as good as it gets for this iteration of DBacks.

I think expecting our starting pitching staff to put up a 18+ WAR consistently isn't realistic.
I think expecting our situational hitting carrying us in the future as it did in 2017 isn't realistic.

We are looking at adding $23M to this years payroll in just guaranteed and arbitration.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/projected-arbitration-salaries-for-2018.html

Diamondbacks (14)

• Patrick Corbin (5.105) – $8.3MM
  • Randall Delgado (5.100) – $2.5MM
  • A.J. Pollock (5.052) – $8.5MM
  • Shelby Miller (4.166) – $4.9MM
  • J.J. Hoover (4.153) – $1.6MM
  • Chris Owings (4.027) – $3.8MM
  • Chris Herrmann (4.001) – $1.4MM
  • T.J. McFarland (3.165) – $1.0MM
  • Taijuan Walker (3.142) – $5.0MM
  • David Peralta (3.120) – $3.8MM
  • Nick Ahmed (3.054) – $1.1MM
  • Jake Lamb (3.053) – $4.7MM
  • Andrew Chafin (3.020) – $1.2MM
  • Robbie Ray (3.007) – $4.2M
This is before we deal with FA Descalso, Iannetta, Rodney, Martinez.

We're talking about increasing current payroll by ~50% ($93M to $150M) just to keep the 2017 team intact.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the going rate for a middling middle reliever?

Seems like Hoover and Chaffin are over paid - although Chaffin as a lefty will get money. Is Corbin worth the raise?

Pollock?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Greinke wasn't worth the contract the second it was signed. That contract also assured that we'd would not get equal talent value back if we traded him. It would be a dump. Price of overpaying as a small market team. So I don't disagree with where you're coming from.

I mean, I don't want to get full "debbie downer" on here, but there is certainly a perspective that this is as good as it gets for this iteration of DBacks.

I think expecting our starting pitching staff to put up a 18+ WAR consistently isn't realistic.
I think expecting our situational hitting carrying us in the future as it did in 2017 isn't realistic.

We are looking at adding $23M to this years payroll in just guaranteed and arbitration.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/projected-arbitration-salaries-for-2018.html

Diamondbacks (14)

• Patrick Corbin (5.105) – $8.3MM
  • Randall Delgado (5.100) – $2.5MM
  • A.J. Pollock (5.052) – $8.5MM
  • Shelby Miller (4.166) – $4.9MM
  • J.J. Hoover (4.153) – $1.6MM
  • Chris Owings (4.027) – $3.8MM
  • Chris Herrmann (4.001) – $1.4MM
  • T.J. McFarland (3.165) – $1.0MM
  • Taijuan Walker (3.142) – $5.0MM
  • David Peralta (3.120) – $3.8MM
  • Nick Ahmed (3.054) – $1.1MM
  • Jake Lamb (3.053) – $4.7MM
  • Andrew Chafin (3.020) – $1.2MM
  • Robbie Ray (3.007) – $4.2M
This is before we deal with FA Descalso, Iannetta, Rodney, Martinez.

We're talking about increasing current payroll by ~50% ($93M to $150M) just to keep the 2017 team intact.
No way Kendrick forks over that kind of cash...unless a miracle happens.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't think so. Robbie Ray moves up to #1 (he is a 2017 All Star) and, with Greinke gone, we can afford to keep JD Martinez batting behind Goldy (as I've posted a few hundred times :) )

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I don't think so. Robbie Ray moves up to #1 (he is a 2017 All Star) and, with Greinke gone, we can afford to keep JD Martinez batting behind Goldy (as I've posted a few hundred times :) )

Any trade for Greinke will likely require the Dbacks eating $20 Million or so each year of his remaining salary... So I'm not totally sold on a Greinke trade freeing up money to sign JD...
And even if it did and we sign JD, I think DWKB's comment about 2017 being the high-water mark for this version of the Dbacks is likely true. Unless they find ways to seriously upgrade 2b, 3b or SS, as well as middle relief, I just don't see this team pulling off a repeat of this season in 2018. It would mean Ray would need to be virtually Cy Young material, and Corbin, Walker and Godley being better than they were this year... not all that likely. And of course, we would still need to locate another starter to replace Greinke... even it that starter were a #2 or #3, I would say that that rotation would not equate to what transpired this season.

I certainly don't want to cast any 2018 die a day after 2017 came to an end, however, I have been saying virtually all season, that 2b and 3b are an issue for this team. And while I'm willing to see of Marte can take the next step, my gut is that he won't... Along with a pitching staff that would need to somehow become super-human to better themselves in 2018 - again, not likely, I think the chances for a repeat of this great season in 2018, if not to make it further in the post-season, are seriously low...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The realist in me says you are right about the team.

The baseball fan says we will improve (or at least win 90 games).

I like Grienke for regular season, Ray I believe will be #1 starter material, and Godley will be a good 3/4. Not sure what to make of Corbin or Walker. Miller won't be any use next year.

Bullpen is a major concern for me - probably the #1 worry.