PHI 34 AZ 7: How? Why? What Next?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m reading to much into this but BA mentioned the team had to much free family time between the time they arrive Friday evening to game time Sunday afternoon. Seem to say that some of the players were not using the time to prep for the game. Are they out partying or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That to me is the sort of thing a coach starts saying when he doesn't want to concede coaching is part of the problem too.

I lived in the Bay Area during the 49ers golden years, it was quite normal to see 49er players out at clubs Friday and even Saturday night when they played on Sunday. They still won.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
This upcoming off season will be time for Michael Bidwill to blow up this team and cull out the dregs-----------time to drain the swamp, and this time the swamp begins with the Coaching staff, (the ENTIRE coaching staff).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say he is the problem, but I said he is part of the problem.

He ignores aspects of his job and I believe that others feel that entitles them to do the same. What'e even worse is that the coaches allow this to happen. For a team that is horrendous on STs, boy they sure could use a boost and they have the most talented return man on the planet. What has he done the last 5 years? Nada. In fact, he's created more bad plays on STs than good...how about the key muffed punt in the NFC Championship game? How about not even rushing the edge on FGs? Not even trying.

Plus, Patrick Peterson is a reluctant tackler and in the NFL you can't win without tackling being a key part of the culture. The Cardinals tackling has sucked for years...and Patrick Peterson is part of that problem.

Get the hell outta here. Just about everything you said in this post is just wrong. It is easy to kick a team when they are down, but you are way off base here.

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
Couple of points/questions:

1) Everyone from Steve Keim on down was stating how anxious they were to redeem last year's bad showing.. Wonder what happened to that?

2) How many games in the past 2 or 3 years was the team "not ready to play" - how does that keep happening?

3) I think coaching and evaluation is indeed suspect - we keep drafting and signing players that don't do well, then go somewhere else and be successful.

I think BA and SK need to take long, hard looks in the mirror. They're trying to be too smart, too stubborn, too whatever......

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m reading to much into this but BA mentioned the team had to much free family time between the time they arrive Friday evening to game time Sunday afternoon. Seem to say that some of the players were not using the time to prep for the game. Are they out partying or something?

It wasn't a problem to give them an EXTRA day on Monday off when they won as well.

Winning cures all but Arians lack of taking personal responsibility is his worst quality.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
PP is not the problem. Bethel is bad. TM has had too many injuries. Branch is average. Bethea is old. Losing Jefferson and Swearinger was a huge hit to the secondary. Time has past for Dansby. Buchanon just not that good. Our DL is old but to be honest not doing that bad.

Agree coaching is a problem. But don't stop there as Keim has not put together a playoff team by any stretch.

Calais Campbell alone has 1/2 of the tackles of our ENTIRE defensive line (DTs, DEs and NTs all included) put together.
Calais Campbell alone has only 1.5 sacks less than our ENTIRE defensive line (DTs, DEs and NTs all included) put together.

yes. They are doing that bad, just like everyone on the team not named Carson or Larry.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Team is beaten up (looking like what teams look like 12 or 13 games into a season). Not sure why, but our backups aren't stepping up.

If we got everybody back from injury, we could possibly win half our remaining games, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Question - why do our DB's trail other teams' WRs; but their DB's cover our guys tightly?

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I lived in the Bay Area during the 49ers golden years, it was quite normal to see 49er players out at clubs Friday and even Saturday night when they played on Sunday. They still won.

Me too. I was in Redwood City for the golden years, where the Niners were headquartered until the move to Santa Clara. Joe Montana was famous for being out at local clubs on weekends, totally trashed and carrying on. And of course before him, Kenny Stabler doing the same thing only turned up to 11 on the other side of the bay. But both could sure bring it on Sunday.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Me too. I was in Redwood City for the golden years, where the Niners were headquartered until the move to Santa Clara. Joe Montana was famous for being out at local clubs on weekends, totally trashed and carrying on. And of course before him, Kenny Stabler doing the same thing only turned up to 11 on the other side of the bay. But both could sure bring it on Sunday.

Stabler would party all night, not even show up back at his hotel on occasions when he played for the Oilers, going straight to the stadium and then would pop some pills in the locker room (nobody ever asked him what they where) and his eyes would light up and then play lights out

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the San Jose area it was Bill Romanowski and Jeff Bregel who were pretty notorious for it. There were others but those were the 2 that you saw quite regularly.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, it looks like almost NONE of the big personnel moves worked out in our favor. In fact, they all seemed to have backfired:

1. Dump Campbell and start Nkemdiche.
2. Move Veldheer to RT and install Hump at LT.
3. Losing Jefferson and Swearinger, replacing with two slower veterans.
4. Mathieu getting the Rover position. He can't cover WRs well when he's had too, and lately his tackling issues are very disturbing.
5. Pinning the hopes of the entire offense to be decent on DJ. Who promptly went down, but remember the Lions were all over him.
6. Drafting Reddick and Baker in first two rounds. Now, I think both guys have a future in the league and can be good players. But, NOW, they just aren't there yet. We certainly wish we went oline early for once.
7. Doing nothing to upgrade at WR. The JBs are fast, and JJ is faster, but none can do what Floyd did for Palmer. That is, give him a big target where he can throw high.
8. Sticking with Bethel as #2 CB. Sweet Jesus.
9. Hell, even Dawson for Catanzaro has been a frigging fiasco.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I was at the game PP21 slipped to his knees on that play.

PP lunged at Jeffery in press coverage. Jeffery deked him out and then blew right past him. PP has struggled some this year covering his man in the slot. He's had 2-3 holding penalties covering the slot as well.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Get the hell outta here. Just about everything you said in this post is just wrong. It is easy to kick a team when they are down, but you are way off base here.

That may be your opinion but it doesn't mean your right. Fact is Peterson is dogging it on special teams. He's a captain on the team. In my book captains are suppose to lead by not only verbal example but in their play too. That means if you are on special teams you don't dog it. You need to go reread what Mitch posted. He stated that Peterson aspects of his job. He never said Peterson not doing his job at all. One of his jobs is being on the kick block unit. Peterson goes through the motions with no real effort on his part. Then the coaches keep allowing this to go on when they should be pulling him off of that unit and replacing him with someone who will actually try to block a kick. Maybe Peterson has a little too much "Dion Primetime Sanders" in him however even Sanders made an effort to run back punts which is more than Peterson does. On this team Peterson has three jobs, cornerback, kick block, and punt returns and he only is concerned about one of them.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That may be your opinion but it doesn't mean your right. Fact is Peterson is dogging it on special teams. He's a captain on the team. In my book captains are suppose to lead by not only verbal example but in their play too. That means if you are on special teams you don't dog it. You need to go reread what Mitch posted. He stated that Peterson aspects of his job. He never said Peterson not doing his job at all. One of his jobs is being on the kick block unit. Peterson goes through the motions with no real effort on his part. Then the coaches keep allowing this to go on when they should be pulling him off of that unit and replacing him with someone who will actually try to block a kick. Maybe Peterson has a little too much "Dion Primetime Sanders" in him however even Sanders made an effort to run back punts which is more than Peterson does. On this team Peterson has three jobs, cornerback, kick block, and punt returns and he only is concerned about one of them.

When has Arizona ever had the culture where the best players helped on special teams? Look at Bethel...when he was asked to take a step up as a CB, his play on special teams was deemphasized. Peterson and Mathieu...asked to play special teams until they were deemed too important. That is not on the players, that is the culture that Keim and Arians have created. In the NFL, very few players can just show up and take over a unit. Normally, you have to develop continuity with the other players on the unit. It shouldn't be a shock that Peterson has developed that as he is only asked to contribute in random moments.

Another glowing example of a player put into a situation to fail vs succeed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
When has Arizona ever had the culture where the best players helped on special teams? Look at Bethel...when he was asked to take a step up as a CB, his play on special teams was deemphasized. Peterson and Mathieu...asked to play special teams until they were deemed too important. That is not on the players, that is the culture that Keim and Arians have created. In the NFL, very few players can just show up and take over a unit. Normally, you have to develop continuity with the other players on the unit. It shouldn't be a shock that Peterson has developed that as he is only asked to contribute in random moments.

Another glowing example of a player put into a situation to fail vs succeed.

We had it under Whisenhunt. Campbell played special teams with Bethel and Peterson.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So first you say it is my opinion..... then state your opinion as fact? I'd say that is ironic, but it really isn't.

I read every word he says and disagree with just about all of it. I thought that was clear in my post. Maybe you should re-read what I wrote.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
That to me is the sort of thing a coach starts saying when he doesn't want to concede coaching is part of the problem too.

It's just excuse making and it's blatantly obvious to anyone with an average IQ.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Imagine having a go at PP who is probably the best CB in the league right now. Talk about looking for problems that aren't there. Really odd.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score

Just more BA Bulls***. Blame the players where-ever possible to cover up the horrendous job of coaching being done (or more aptly, not being done) on this team. He got no game anymore, he has to go (and Keim right along with him).

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not only did the players party back then they also played with injuries. You don’t see that as much with these younger players.

I guess BA can prove out the early arrival distractions by arriving much later on the next east coast trip.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave