The Official US Soccer thread

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Imagine a group of entitled players that refused to put in the required effort, respect their opponents' desire to win, and are unwilling to take individual responsibility for the team performance, decided to elect a spokesman that could sum up all their problems in two sentences.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The only thing better than being humiliated on a national stage, is being humiliated on an international stage. Like everything is going to be better when we start playing better teams.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Excellent lineup, excellent effort, excellent adjustments. Just excellent. And now Dempsey is coming on. Let's get the record, Dempsey!

And Yedlin coming in and saying, "Though I was injured before, this is MY position." He's starting to become world class, I must say. Glad to have him on the Magpies too.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Excellent lineup, excellent effort, excellent adjustments. Just excellent. And now Dempsey is coming on. Let's get the record, Dempsey!

And Yedlin coming in and saying, "Though I was injured before, this is MY position." He's starting to become world class, I must say. Glad to have him on the Magpies too.
We have insanely different views on what world class means.

Great great win though.

Stout

Reaction score
We have insanely different views on what world class means.

Great great win though.

To be clear, I said "Starting to." He ain't there yet, and may not get there.. If you've watched him lately in the PL, and considering his performance last night, he's pretty damn good.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score

I rewatched the match with this comment in mind. There were two (maybe-and I'm being generous) occasions when Panama created a scoring opportunity from DeAndre's side of the pitch. None of those incidents forced an effort by Howard, and both were started because of either Arriola or Pulisic being caught too high up the field which allowed passes from the midfield to find the Panamanian attacker.

There were maybe half-a-dozen other attempts to start the offensive from Yedlin's area. He either neutralized the attack by himself, or forced a delay long enough to receive help before the ball got into the final third. Most of those were during the first 45 minutes, then it appeared Panama gave up trying to that 1/3 of the pitch. I kept thinking if this was put in an American Football reference (a handful of pass attempts to his receiver with maybe two negligible receptions) the phrase "shut-down corner" would start getting thrown around.

Then I started remembering all the runs to that side of the pitch against Timmy Useless, Graham Man-Bun, Eric Too-High Lichaj, etc., when they were in the Starting XI instead of DeAndre Yedlin. With continued displays of maturity and understanding of the position (seeing and helping Gonzalez with a critical block) combined with his physical abilities, "world class" ain't far off.

Last edited:

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To be clear, I said "Starting to." He ain't there yet, and may not get there.. If you've watched him lately in the PL, and considering his performance last night, he's pretty damn good.
The US has yet to produce a world class player. Pulisic could one day get close. Yedlin is great. I love the guy but he's an alright Premier league player. Not top 3-4 in the world.

Stout

Reaction score
The US has yet to produce a world class player. Pulisic could one day get close. Yedlin is great. I love the guy but he's an alright Premier league player. Not top 3-4 in the world.

Okay, for one, your bias is showing. We've clearly had world-class players, namely in the keeper position. That's a silly comment.

Then again, if you think world class is top 3-4 in the whole world, that puts your comment in context. I don't think many people are THAT specific with it. That's beyond world-class--that's the absolute best in the world. Messi, Ronaldo, and the like fit there, but that doesn't mean that Arjen Robben isn't world class, per se--he's just not top 3-4.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Okay, for one, your bias is showing. We've clearly had world-class players, namely in the keeper position. That's a silly comment.

Then again, if you think world class is top 3-4 in the whole world, that puts your comment in context. I don't think many people are THAT specific with it. That's beyond world-class--that's the absolute best in the world. Messi, Ronaldo, and the like fit there, but that doesn't mean that Arjen Robben isn't world class, per se--he's just not top 3-4.
Bias? Bias for or against who? Odd comment.

I'd say most people would call world class the top fee at each position. In fact, I think many would say that's being generous. There's plenty of discussion as to whether Harry Kane has made the world class level yet. That surely puts the Yedlin thing in context.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yedlin has grown a lot with Newcastle. He is a different player now. he played his best defense I've ever seen him play in his last match with Liverpool. Too bad the left back situation is rubbish now that Fabian Johnson has been relieved of it.

Kane is world class imo. He could lead any league in the world in goal scoring. Problem for England is he is their only player at that level and then there is a drop off. Although it is a different circumstance the USA have that same Problem with pulisc.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's played a grand total of three games for Newcastle in the Prem. His other half season for Sunderland wasn't very positive.

Most fans would be hard pressed to say he's premier league class yet, let alone close to world class.

If we're saying that England don't have any world class players besides Kane then Yedlin is a million miles away from even being close.

Stout

Reaction score
He's played a grand total of three games for Newcastle in the Prem. His other half season for Sunderland wasn't very positive.

Most fans would be hard pressed to say he's premier league class yet, let alone close to world class.

If we're saying that England don't have any world class players besides Kane then Yedlin is a million miles away from even being close.

And there's your ridiculous anti-American soccer bias again. It's amusing.

As to Arena, he should just shut up. Seriously? He's telling EUROPEAN teams that CONCACAF qualifying is tough? Haha!

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And there's your ridiculous anti-American soccer bias again. It's amusing.

As to Arena, he should just shut up. Seriously? He's telling EUROPEAN teams that CONCACAF qualifying is tough? Haha!
I think you've got me mixed up with someone. I'm a US fan and a champion for the MLS. That doesn't mean I'll overstate the talent though.

Read back what I've said. I'm not being harsh on Yedlin, nor is my definition of world class really out there compared to plenty of others.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you've got me mixed up with someone. I'm a US fan and a champion for the MLS. That doesn't mean I'll overstate the talent though.

Read back what I've said. I'm not being harsh on Yedlin, nor is my definition of world class really out there compared to plenty of others.

He is stating that you have overlooked the world class goalkeeping talent that the US has produced. You could argue that both Tim Howard and Kasey Keller were at or very near the top of the position at their peak.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He is stating that you have overlooked the world class goalkeeping talent that the US has produced. You could argue that both Tim Howard and Kasey Keller were at or very near the top of the position at their peak.
He's not saying that. He's saying I've got some anti-American bias which is absurd.

You could argue that for those two. I still don't think many would put them up there with the top few in the world though.

Stout

Reaction score
He's not saying that. He's saying I've got some anti-American bias which is absurd.

You could argue that for those two. I still don't think many would put them up there with the top few in the world though.

Except I am. You've gone there in the past, deriding the idea that the Americans have ever had any world class players, even when the fine American goalkeeping tradition has been mentioned. I mean, you're not as bad as some--I'm whiffing on screen names--but you've gone there.

Yep. You got to it before I did, DCR :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave