Heroes and Goats: SF@ARI

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I took my seven-year-old son to the game. We arrived an hour early and cooked brats, ribs, and burgers in the Green Lot and threw the football. We sat on the tailgate and drank root beer and Fresh Squeezed IPA.

Then we went in and enjoyed a fantastic football game. The good thing about being a mediocre team (and that’s what the 2017 Arizona Cardinals are) is that the stakes are low. There’s nothing frustrating about trading field goals for four quarters, then getting marched on in overtime for seven-plus minutes. The crowd hid literally thousands of 49ers fans, but it was a friendly atmosphere for all.

And the Cards won when Larry Fitzgerald caught a touchdown pass right in front of our Section 125. My boy asked what the best Cardinal game I’ve ever been to was. In that moment, this was it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Corey Peters - I’ve given Peters a hard time since signing here two years ago, but he’s been the year’s most consistent and impactful member of the defensive line so far. He’s also playing nearly 70% of the defensive snaps — impressive for a nose tackle.

Andre Ellington - Let’s not fall all over ourselves quite yet. He caught less than 65% of his targets and rushed for just 3.6 YPC. On third down, Ellington had 1 reception on 3 targets and failed to achieve a first down.

Jermaine Gresham - “Chipping” doesn’t mean that he’s making contact with the defensive end; just altering the pass rusher’s angle of attack to make life easier for John Wetzel.

You must be registered for see images attach

Elijah Penny - I hope we’ve seen enough to decide that there’s no future for Penny as a running back or anything more than a fringe roster player. There’s nothing special about him.

Robert Nkemdiche - I don’t even know what to say about this weekday warrior.

D.J. Humphries - I blame millennials for not wanting to play unless they’re 100% healthy.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I took my seven-year-old son to the game. We arrived an hour early and cooked brats, ribs, and burgers in the Green Lot and threw the football. We sat on the tailgate and drank root beer and Fresh Squeezed IPA.

Then we went in and enjoyed a fantastic football game. The good thing about being a mediocre team (and that’s what the 2017 Arizona Cardinals are) is that the stakes are low. There’s nothing frustrating about trading field goals for four quarters, then getting marched on in overtime for seven-plus minutes. The crowd hid literally thousands of 49ers fans, but it was a friendly atmosphere for all.

And the Cards won when Larry Fitzgerald caught a touchdown pass right in front of our Section 125. My boy asked what the best Cardinal game I’ve ever been to was. In that moment, this was it.

Good stuff right there.

Elijah Penny - I hope we’ve seen enough to decide that there’s no future for Penny as a running back or anything more than a fringe roster player. There’s nothing special about him.

Robert Nkemdiche - I don’t even know what to say about this weekday warrior.

D.J. Humphries - I blame millennials for not wanting to play unless they’re 100% healthy.

Best goat section I have seen all season.

Here is to hoping Penny is given his walking papers. These are the head scratches that has me starting to mutanize my support of Keim.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nice for your 7 year old and lol for the Humphries comment.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Great story about taking your son, K9. You just made another life-long Cardinals' fan, well before his says of reading Kerouac get started.:)

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Your goats were essentially three guys who didn't play, so you must have liked the guys who did.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Your goats were essentially three guys who didn't play, so you must have liked the guys who did.

It’s hard to single out goats when you’re at the game and make it interesting. Like, I still don’t think Palmer played that well. I don’t think Mathieu played that well. But I can’t really say that I saw enough of everything to really stand behind that take.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s hard to single out goats when you’re at the game and make it interesting. Like, I still don’t think Palmer played that well. I don’t think Mathieu played that well. But I can’t really say that I saw enough of everything to really stand behind that take.

So you are saying you just mailed in your performance this week?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Glad for you & your kid K9, someday he can say he saw 1 of the best NFL players ever score an heroic GW TD!!!

Your right Carson didn't play all that well, he was outstanding!!! I don't understand why you rarely give the guy any dues, especially with this disasterous Oline he's playing behind.

Seriously how many games have you ever seen an NFL QB get hit 19 times (I still say it was more) pressured on over half his attempts, sacked 7 times & complete 65% of his throws, average 10 YPC & throw for 360 yards & lead the GW drive 80 yards? IMO he was money & a tough SOB to accomplish that feat & even finishing that game!!!

Last edited:

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Glad for you & your kid K9, someday he can say he saw 1 of the best NFL players ever score an heroic GW TD!!!

Your right Carson didn't play all that well, he was outstanding!!! I don't understand why you rarely give the guy any dues, especially with this disasterous Oline he's playing behind.

Seriously how many games have you ever seen an NFL QB get hit 19 times (I still say it was more) pressured on over half his attempts, sacked 7 times & complete 65% of his throws, average 10 YPC & throw for 360 yards & lead the GW drive 80 yards? IMO he was money & a tough SOB to accomplish that feat & even finishing that game!!!

Outstanding? huh? he had one interception but could have easily had four with some of his decisions. He was definitely getting hit a lot but his first INT was a pretty bad decision and he had more than a throws that were right to a defender who dropped the pick.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Outstanding? huh? he had one interception but could have easily had four with some of his decisions. He was definitely getting hit a lot but his first INT was a pretty bad decision and he had more than a throws that were right to a defender who dropped the pick.

I am curious how you would have rated Brett Favre in his prime if 'almost' throwing interceptions is a criteria :)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
every qb in the league has "almost" interceptions... the great ones just get away with more than the poor ones.
Lucky??... Good???. sometimes its better to be lucky than good...either way Palmer is a very good passer

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Palmer was clearly a hero, not sure what game you were watching! Got beat to hell and still slinging it and throwing strikes even with some dropped balls. Almost ints happen with every QB in the league, so it’s ridiculous to even judge that. If not for horrible officiating on the TDs this game is won much more easily and no OT.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score

The guy is tough, no doubt, and I get that Palmer is probably a little shell shocked considering how much punishment he has taken, but I can't get over how a guy that has been around this long and played this much football can still make such careless, terrible, boneheaded decisions.

He obviously doesn't learn from his mistakes either. The play where he was wrapped up and was being thrown to the ground yet he decided to just flip the ball out of his hand was eerily reminiscent of the play he had last year vs Carolina. Given what happened to you last time, why even try that? Just protect the ball.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I am curious how you would have rated Brett Favre in his prime if 'almost' throwing interceptions is a criteria :)

If Brett Favre played all of this games the way Carson Palmer played last Sunday, i wouldn't call his play "outstanding." I don't think he was a GOAT but I also don't think he was a hero and I was honestly worried that he was concussed right before half time.

If we were to line up all 32 starting QBs I would guess Carson Palmer would fall in the 12-16 range which would make him average to slightly above average. With the way this season is going it would be a good idea to see how Stanton and Gabbert look for next year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Put Humphries on the list with Nkemdiche, Niklas, and Minter. When they do something more meaningful than show up and do nothing positive, I will acknowledge them as a part of the team.

Funny thing...I can't say that we have any ONE building block on the offensive line heading into next year.

Reaction score
Put Humphries on the list with Nkemdiche, Niklas, and Minter. When they do something more meaningful than show up and do nothing positive, I will acknowledge them as a part of the team.

Funny thing...I can't say that we have any ONE building block on the offensive line heading into next year.

I think if you keep Veldheer at Lt & keep Boone you do. Maybe Boehm if he is any good at center.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Palmer's ability to spin the ball in such a way that makes it nearly impossible for defenders to handle is truly amazing and should not go overlooked!! I am sure that illegal substances must have been present on the gloves of those who have managed to hold on.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

John Wetzel is not the best offensive lineman I have ever seen, but I would not hesitate to put him at RT or RG next season. With so many holes to fill he is a keeper for now.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Was stoked to hear that you and your son had such a great time at the game. Good for both of you---------and thanks for continuing the tradition of father to son pass down of Cards fans. Good review of this team as well
I enjoyed reading it and couldn't agree more with you.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Nice about your son. More fathers should be making that investment. It's a great experience even in a loss.

I'd agree on Peters. He's been solid all year. Ellington was an approach/avoidance player. The 2 drops on easy throws were costly. He still needs to play tougher. To my way of thinking Gresham needs to get fewer penalties and more catches. Hasn't been worth anything like $4 million. Frankly he belongs on the Goats. Several out of work tackles could chip a pass rusher.

I thought TM was poor again in coverage. Veldheer was slightly better but they gave him help on both sides. I didn't label Broehm. Russ Smith was right on another thread that holding was the lesser of 2 evils. He's also a C not a G.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Nice about your son. More fathers should be making that investment. It's a great experience even in a loss.

I usually bring both of my kids (see profile pic) - including this past Sunday - except usually for night games or if there's someone in particular that we won't to take/have parents lined up to babysit. My 2 year old son was obsessed with the hot blonde sitting right in front of us the whole game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose