Pure class shown by Cardinals and Cowboys during National Anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cowboys knelt in unison BEFORE the National Anthem and them stood at attention during the playing of the Anthem. The Cardinals locked arms to show solidarity and stood at attention during the Anthem. I couldn't be more proud of both teams. They got their point across without disrespect of our flag or Anthem. Hopefully the rest of the league takes notice and follows the same practice.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Yep no need to be disrespectful to get your point across, and still bring a voice for people that don't have one.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Ok what is going on here. What and why are they showing solidarity for. I don't understand what is going on.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At this point no one knows for sure, but if someone 'disses' them, they all gotta stand together.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Pure class is shutting up and putting your hand over your heart like every other player did for almost 100 years

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah the same anthem that applauds slavery. I would kneel when it plays as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pure class is shutting up and putting your hand over your heart like every other player did for almost 100 years

Yeah! Except they weren't out there on the field for the anthem until 2009 when the DOD gave the NFL millions in exchange for forcing the players to participate in patriotic displays before games.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
For the life of me I can’t understand why people make such a big deal about someone taking a knee during a song but the very same people were noticeably silent when people were marching in the streets with confederate flags.

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
vacard said:
Yeah the same anthem that applauds slavery. I would kneel when it plays as well.

What part off the anthem has anything to do with slavery?

3rd stanza, read it. You and Tim

The 3rd stanza doesn't applaud slavery. It references slaves and hired merceneries who fought on the behalf of the brittish finding no refuge.

OP
OP
40yearfan

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What part off the anthem has anything to do with slavery?

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.-

"No refuge could save the hireling and slave" is obviously a reference to the mercenaries and slaves Britain pressed into service to fight the Americans. That's why he is talking about flight or death (gloom of the grave). They could either run or die. He is not talking about American slaves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
40yearfan

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the life of me I can’t understand why people make such a big deal about someone taking a knee during a song but the very same people were noticeably silent when people were marching in the streets with confederate flags.

If no one had paid attention to such a small group, they would have faded into the bowels of history where they belong.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
3rd stanza, read it. You and Tim
Ok I read it. First I never seen or heard of the rest of the poem. I have only ever heard of the song as probably 99 percent of all Americans have. After reading the whole story behind it Key was talking about the black traitors that fought for the British against America and he was pissed at them which he should have been so that's that.

This whole country has been singing that song since childhood to honor the flag and country. No one sings that whole poem or even knows it that's why most people look at those that take a knee while the anthem is playing as being unpatriotic. After reading the poem I still don't believe it is racist.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
First flying the Confederate flag is taking pride in the soldiers that fought for their country and is no different than flying the American flag. There is nothing racist about taking pride in the South and the men that fought for it. What's racist is the people that want to disrespect the flag and disrespect the heroes that fought and died for it.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
First flying the Confederate flag is taking pride in the soldiers that fought for their country and is no different than flying the American flag. There is nothing racist about taking pride in the South and the men that fought for it. What's racist is the people that want to disrespect the flag and disrespect the heroes that fought and died for it.
No, they FOUGHT AGAINST the US. End of storyin my book.

That, and I don't think you understand the definition of racist.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Guys there's already a really long thread where you can argue this out in P&R. Let's not get this one moved too.

I was really pleased with what the Cardinals did today. The outcome of the game sucked, but I'm proud of what they did in the stadium as a whole. They repeated Unity and encouraged it. WTG Cardinals.

OP
OP
40yearfan

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bowels?? I thought "anals" was the correct term....

I meant sink into the lower intestines and passed out as excrement never to be heard from again. And I meant white supremacists/Nazi's, not the good old southern boys who are proud of their heritage. Flying a Confederate flag is not always a racial thing.

OP
OP
40yearfan

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok what is going on here. What and why are they showing solidarity for. I don't understand what is going on.

Solidarity as a team. It's all about team spirit and not agreement with Colin K. If they had agreed with him, they would have knelt during the Anthem.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score

If you'd like to step over to p&r, I would love to hear the logic on this. Earlier tonight I posted about how I don't understand people can balance those two contrasting thoughts.

Maybe I'm just misreading your message. Are you saying heroes fought and died for the confederate flag and people who disrespect the confederate flag are racists?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Why is there even bickering on here about this. I thought the cardinals did an excellent job honoring the anthem and the cowboys protest as Jerry and Jason Garrett said would not be Taylored to the flag or the anthem. So finally two teams give the rest of the league a model of excellence and people still want to fight about it.

cardinals

Veteran
Reaction score
The Cowboys knelt in unison BEFORE the National Anthem and them stood at attention during the playing of the Anthem. The Cardinals locked arms to show solidarity and stood at attention during the Anthem. I couldn't be more proud of both teams. They got their point across without disrespect of our flag or Anthem. Hopefully the rest of the league takes notice and follows the same practice.

lol what in the hell difference did any of that make? whats the point?
who cares? what did it do or not do to you, or for you, or anyone?
people have lost their minds. This is a bunch of stupidity to talk about.

kneeling is what slaves do before owners and what peasants do before kings.
kneeling is a symbol of defeat. people who kneel are as dumb and weak as people who salute flags.
it serves no purpose. It accomplishes nothing. It proves nothing about what I/you think or believe or do.

what point did they get across? you are still a slave to taxes and property owned by the elite.
black people will continue to be third class citizens. Nothing will change because millionaire jocks took a knee on television.

Status
Not open for further replies.