Latest 2018 compensatory pick projection

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that we traded up to get Baker when we could have stayed where we were at and taken DeShone Kizer will be a headscratcher for me for years. Even more so if we don't get a QBOTF in next year's draft.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The fact that we traded up to get Baker when we could have stayed where we were at and taken DeShone Kizer will be a headscratcher for me for years. Even more so if we don't get a QBOTF in next year's draft.

Kizer rubbed a number of scouts and GMs the wrong way. His own college coach said he was immature and should have stayed in school.

Budda Baker is, imo, one of the top 25 players in the 2017 draft. His versatility is made to order for today's NFL defenses. Had Baker not missed all of the OTAs, his role in the defense would be much more elaborate. But, now he's starting to make his move and should be getting increased snaps per game. Meanwhile, he's been a star on STs, something we can be very thankful for.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Kizer rubbed a number of scouts and GMs the wrong way. His own college coach said he was immature and should have stayed in school.

Budda Baker is, imo, one of the top 25 players in the 2017 draft. His versatility is made to order for today's NFL defenses. Had Baker not missed all of the OTAs, his role in the defense would be much more elaborate. But, now he's starting to make his move and should be getting increased snaps per game. Meanwhile, he's been a star on STs, something we can be very thankful for.
That tackle he made on 3rd down was insane! He ran across the field from the high safety spot & drilled him short of the sticks! Probably saved the game from a sure loss & gave Big Red a shot at winning. Wow :shocker:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Brian Kelly is a known jackass so I wouldn’t take anything he says seriously, but I agree with what you said about Baker 100%.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm torn. Baker seems great right now. If Kizer is great or even Andy Dalton level good in a year or two though, I think we'll be kicking ourselves.

We're going to have to use a fair amount of these compensatory picks to get a QB, IMO.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm torn. Baker seems great right now. If Kizer is great or even Andy Dalton level good in a year or two though, I think we'll be kicking ourselves.

We're going to have to use a fair amount of these compensatory picks to get a QB, IMO.

We are also 1 year behind on the learning curve. I wasn't a proponent of taking a QB in round 1 but round 2 would have been an appropriate risk. You should probably be drafting a QB in every draft...it can be like a lottery ticket.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are also 1 year behind on the learning curve. I wasn't a proponent of taking a QB in round 1 but round 2 would have been an appropriate risk. You should probably be drafting a QB in every draft...it can be like a lottery ticket.

Would you be happy with Trevor Siemian?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Would you be happy with Trevor Siemian?

As a solid #2 with upside...yes.

Siemian is getting paid 800k/year.
Kizer is getting paid slightly over 1m/year.
Stanton is getting paid slightly over 3m/year.

I would rather have Siemian or Kizer. Both guys are better #2's than Stanton, get paid less, and Kizer's QBOF potential is significantly higher.

Mitch

Reaction score

I think this year's QB class is better and deeper. This is the year to draft a QB.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lets try to foresee the teams in need of a qb next season
San Francisco
San Diego
New Orleans
Jacksonville
Pittsburgh
New York giants
New York jets
Arizona

I would say 3-4 of those teams can draft ahead of us

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think this year's QB class is better and deeper. This is the year to draft a QB.

There's a lot of factors here: How many games do we win? With DJ out, that number could be pretty low. In which case, I agree, we'll be almost forced to draft a QB. But are we going to be better than the Jets? Pretty decidedly so. The Giants, Saints, Colts, 49ers? Maybe, and the tiebreaker goes to the Colts. All of them could draft a QB (pending Luck's health). The Browns will probably be worse than us. too. I still don't see this team drafting higher than 4 even if the rails completely come off, which will expose some VERY QB needy teams to the top guys, and probably mean the end of Arians' tenure in the desert. Admittedly, one or two of them might end up in the Garoppolo/Cousins sweepstakes and clear it up a little, but

We could really be stuck holding the bag here. And teams that really need top QB play aren't just going to move back because we have picks to give.

All I'm grousing about is that we haven't had any kind of a contingency plan or drafted anyone to even slightly compete since Logan Thomas.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Lets try to foresee the teams in need of a qb next season
San Francisco
San Diego
New Orleans
Jacksonville
Pittsburgh
New York giants
New York jets
Arizona

I would say 3-4 of those teams can draft ahead of us

Giants drafted David Webb in round 3 this year. I would say that should keep them from taking a QB in rd 1 next year.

I believe San Diego, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, and the Giants should have a better record than us this year.

That leaves SF, Jets, and Arizona without any trade-ups.

Mitch

Reaction score
There's a lot of factors here: How many games do we win? With DJ out, that number could be pretty low. In which case, I agree, we'll be almost forced to draft a QB. But are we going to be better than the Jets? Pretty decidedly so. The Giants, Saints, Colts, 49ers? Maybe, and the tiebreaker goes to the Colts. All of them could draft a QB (pending Luck's health). The Browns will probably be worse than us. too. I still don't see this team drafting higher than 4 even if the rails completely come off, which will expose some VERY QB needy teams to the top guys, and probably mean the end of Arians' tenure in the desert. Admittedly, one or two of them might end up in the Garoppolo/Cousins sweepstakes and clear it up a little, but

We could really be stuck holding the bag here. And teams that really need top QB play aren't just going to move back because we have picks to give.

All I'm grousing about is that we haven't had any kind of a contingency plan or drafted anyone to even slightly compete since Logan Thomas.

Excellent points, Solar7. And ever since Nathan Poole caught the hail mary from Josh McCown it seems like the Cardinals are always one pick away from drafting the QBOF...even this year when KC traded up for Mahomes and HOU traded up one spot ahead of the Cardinals to take Watson.

But here's my thinking (for right or for wrong)...I think we need to know who the next head coach is going to be before we draft the QBOF. Steve Keim needs to make sure he matches the QBOF to the style of the next HC. This is paramount.

Secondly, Keim, in adding 4 comp. picks has the ammo he needs to trade up if need be.

Thirdly, there are some intriguing QBs who may be on the market next year: Garoppolo, Bradford, Brees, Bridgewater, Taylor, Cousins, McCarren. Maybe the Bengals would listen to trade offers for Andy Dalton, who, in the right system, imo, could win a Super Bowl.

And maybe we will get a look at Blaine Gabbert this year. He's got so much upside. He's never had the same OC two years in a row.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Giants drafted David Webb in round 3 this year. I would say that should keep them from taking a QB in rd 1 next year.

I believe San Diego, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, and the Giants should have a better record than us this year.

That leaves SF, Jets, and Arizona without any trade-ups.

I'm sorry but even as bad as we have looked on occasion in the first two games, putting us in the same sentence as SF and the Jets is ridiculous. I hope I don't get proven wrong but I can't see us being less than an 8-8 team (In our division, I still see 9-7 being good enough to win). I think The niners, Jets and Bears will struggle to win only a couple of games

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I'm sorry but even as bad as we have looked on occasion in the first two games, putting us in the same sentence as SF and the Jets is ridiculous. I hope I don't get proven wrong but I can't see us being less than an 8-8 team (In our division, I still see 9-7 being good enough to win). I think The niners, Jets and Bears will struggle to win only a couple of games

Sorry. I meant to imply top 3 worst records for QB needy teams (not taking into account any trade-ups).

I agree...we are probably in the 6-8 win area unless Carson steps up and DJ comes back in November.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the next head coach is going to be Goodwin, unless we go completely off the rails.

Unlike some here I still think this team will be close to 8-8, I think the offense will improve and the d looks fairly solid.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That tackle he made on 3rd down was insane! He ran across the field from the high safety spot & drilled him short of the sticks! Probably saved the game from a sure loss & gave Big Red a shot at winning. Wow :shocker:
That was a great play and he ran like a bullet across the field to make that tackle.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted the Cards to draft a qb this year and was disappointed that they didn't. However, I think Baker is gong to be a special player. I'm glad Keim traded up for him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson