This Team-----My Take

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A few random points:

- An overabundance of certainty - Nothing wrong with strong feelings until they're used to replace the facts. (Just because you said it louder doesn't make you right). There's nothing wrong with saying "I can't prove it" and then attributing the comment to "gut feeling", "conventional wisdom" or "just wondering..."

- Risk "being wrong" - BA's "biscuit" theory also applies to our being willing to raise issues and positions that lie outside the box. Take a chance, but be willing to be called out for it. If everybody here always played it safe, this would be a very dull board.

- The folks here are fellow Cardinal fans. (Go gentle).

- I don't think Catfish adequately supported his opinions with proof. But I do think both the conditioning and play calling issues are worth raising and checking out further.

- Finally, I think a little part of each of us hope our comments are "holy grail." But scroll through all the popular topics that follow a win, a loss or a draft pick over a span of several years and you'll find the same comments repeated by different people year after year. (Fire the coach. Replace the QB. Always pass on 1st down). Not much new but interesting because it's a chronicle of "how fans think" (& how some things don't change) over a period of time.

Last edited:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
This board is polarized and has been for a long while. Skkorp wouldn't stand for that and he was very vigilant about enforcing the rules of the board.

Catfish is right about the general disrespect that some posters display regularly on this board. We've lost many good posters along the way. And if it f doesn't improve, we will lose more.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I dound Daves posts to be golden and improve the board. If we come on and state opinions as facts with sources but cannot prove those, nothing wrong with someone doing the research and going uhhh...hey...all of that seems to be incorrect.

In fact, Daves post is why this forum is great. He brought the truth, in droves.

I mean, if I say that our loss to the lions was due to the pottsville curse and someone can prove I am wrong with detailed facts, they win.

Last edited:

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Personally, I dont think stretching has to do with anything and I am hoping that a heavier dose of CJ in the running game nets us more yards and more playaction opportunities. I expect us to look a lot better offensively against the cowboys. Time will tell.

I am obviously not as doom and gloom as others though.

I'm hopeful from what I saw of CJ2K last Sunday. If we can build on that and Betcher can pull his head out of his ass and start scheming against an offense properly we might have a chance to make the playoffs. Every team in the NFC West is not without their warts and I see the division for the taking.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
So far as David Johnson is concerned------he had a superb year last year and was ten pounds heavier. He took it upon himself to lose ten more pounds over the off season. I am only saying that he may have caused his muscles to be too brittle, (which may lead to him being often injured like so many others who have done that). He messed with success on the highest level and may now being paid the price for that. Only time will tell that. Just my opinion, but it is at least as viable as your completely discounting me for even having one and calling it foolish for having an opinion of my own.

Muscles to be brittle? This sounds like pseudoscience to me. Also, just because he lost 10lbs means nothing. You have no idea what his body fat percentage was before, maybe he lost 15lbs of body fat and gained 5 pounds of muscle? This is all conjecture by you at this point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This board is polarized and has been for a long while. Skkorp wouldn't stand for that and he was very vigilant about enforcing the rules of the board.

Catfish is right about the general disrespect that some posters display regularly on this board. We've lost many good posters along the way. And if it f doesn't improve, we will lose more.

the idea that this board -- or ANY board of ANYTHING -- hasn't always been polarized is revisionist history.

As far as Catfish being right about "general disrespect"... using Daves as an example of that seems... for lack of a better word... foolish.

If you have the hubris to post a thread about YOURSELF... which is what a "My take on the game" thread is, you should expect that thread to at some point be about YOU. That's why people make those threads... for attention. They could easily post their take in a different thread, but they are literally INVITING attention to themselves when they decide to try and stand out from the rest of the board. That's not to say it's wrong to do... but when you make a thread calling attention to yourself, you should be surprised if some of that attention is going to be negative, especially when you come with hot takes that are neither backed by facts or sound reasoning.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you defending Daves------------he knows that his original post to this thread called me "just plain foolish"------------that is no longer there now, but Daves knows it and so do I.

Catfish, i have no desire to continue a debate that you are perceiving as a personal attack. But once again, you are just plain wrong. My posts in this thread have not been edited or deleted. I never called you foolish, nor would i. In fact, in my first response to your initial post *agreed* with much of what you wrote. The team is disjointed, the offense is riddled with injuries, and as fans we're largely disappointed and lacking in hope for the season, which has us all grumpy.

If you read the majority of my posts on this forum, you'll see that one of the main things i do is to inject facts where i see misinformation. For whatever reason, correcting people's misconceptions is one thing that spurs me to post. I enjoy reading everyone's opinions and sometimes when i disagree i'll post my own response, but i know the difference between opinion and facts.

I'm sorry i made you feel foolish by posting that your claim that the team goes "run, run, pass, punt------series after series" was nonsense. That is a fact but i could've been more gentle in my wording.

As for your opinions about the reasons for John Brown's inability to stay on the field and that David Johnson's "may have also become one of the oft-injured youngsters on this roster because of the coaching staff's total disdain for TEAM STRETCHING AND CONDITIONING before games and practices.", well i believe those opinions are unsupported by evidence and in fact contradicted by the known facts (Nelson's sickle cell trait and Johnson's miraculous avoidance of more serious injury despite having his leg bent like a pretzel last year).

Again i could've called them something other than "nonsense" but i would urge you not to be so easily offended by my wording - i'm sure i've said innumerable things that are nonsense, including on this board and possibly on this thread, and if i'm called out for it, i may choose to try to support my position, or admit that it has no basis in fact, or just leave it out there to be judged by posterity.

Daves knows that he referred to me as "just plain foolish", and while that is not terribly condescending when compared to what HAD BEEN OCCURRING HERE, it certainly was improper and Daves knows it. Those of you who are rushing to defend him, can't know what or how he originally had worded his response to my thread. Were I one of you---------I would be careful about rushing to judgement in his defense. Granted, it might have been just a simple judgement mistake on his part, but the fact that the original wording has changed, and that Daves has chosen to come across as "never would have called anyone foolish" speaks of choosing to deny his mistake, and instead, he has chosen to act as if it did not occur. THAT is what bothers me. So long as that attitude prevails, then it is apparent to me that people here STILL do not understand being polite when debating posts. That is all I have to say about this entire thread.

Again, as anyone can see, my posts in this thread have not been edited or deleted, so anyone can read exactly what i wrote. It seems you're allowing past offenses by others to influence your interpretation of my post. Had i been more familiar with your history of abuse here or i would've chosen more gentle wording, and for that i apologize.

Go Cardinals!

...dave

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
P.S. I use the ignore feature often to make my experience here much more enjoyable. If my posts offend you, by all means you should ignore me. You'll never see anything i write again!

...dave

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
iLLmatiC---- I fully stated that every bit of what I said was conjecture and opinion only. Never claimed any of that to be fact. It WAS all gut feeling and remains that way now.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
iLLmatiC---- I fully stated that every bit of what I said was conjecture and opinion only. Never claimed any of that to be fact. It WAS all gut feeling and remains that way now.

Daves-----from the Cardinals very first play from scrimmage, they went run, run, pass, punt-------------the second series they again went run, run, pass punt----------the first six scripted plays went EXACTLY as I said they had.

The fact that...
The fact that...
The fact that...

Uh-huh. Totally got the vibe you were just expressing generalities.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we have been slow to start games because BA hasnt been checking the rooms to make sure ladies of the night are not visiting prior to games when we are on the road.

And DJ, hes a good dude, so he probably dislocated his wrist the night before after electing not to participate but not being able to control him self when hearing all the parties going on.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I think we have been slow to start games because BA hasnt been checking the rooms to make sure ladies of the night are not visiting prior to games when we are on the road.

And DJ, hes a good dude, so he probably dislocated his wrist the night before after electing not to participate but not being able to control him self when hearing all the parties going on.

Hilarious.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson