Tyrann Mathieu says he’s best defensive player in NFL when healthy

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe this was covered in another thread, but has anyone heard about him not using the brace for his knee? On the pregame for the Raiders, they said he was having a hard time and is not going to use it.

I'd think from a liability stand point with previous injuries this would be a no-no.

Reaction score
Maybe this was covered in another thread, but has anyone heard about him not using the brace for his knee? On the pregame for the Raiders, they said he was having a hard time and is not going to use it.

I'd think from a liability stand point with previous injuries this would be a no-no.

I remember them saying he didn't need it anymore & he feels like he's finally free. That it was holding him back.

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Regardless if he is even in the conversation of the Top Defensive player, you gotta love the guy's confidence. I say confidence, and not arrogance, because it seems he channels this thinking in a constructive way that lights a fire under the rest of the Defense. HB plus Dansby will bring the vocal leadership that we were missing at times last year.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think he's had the brace at all this off-season?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Good
Watching him play sunday was pretty sad
Not the same player we admired 2 years a go
Maybe they dont use him properly
Didnt see him attacking the line of scrimmage
Most of the time was deep in coverage, not his strenght

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good
Watching him play sunday was pretty sad
Not the same player we admired 2 years a go
Maybe they dont use him properly
Didnt see attacking the line of scrimmage
Most of the time was deep in coverage, not his strenght

He was typically within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. He played press, zone and also blitzed the passer in the game. I didn't notice him playing deep a lot at all.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was typically within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. He played press, zone and also blitzed the passer in the game. I didn't notice him playing deep a lot at all.
I didnt notice him making plays near the line of scrimmage so i thought had coverage duties
Ok, so wasnt out of position but just invisible

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didnt notice him making plays near the line of scrimmage so i thought had coverage duties
Ok, so wasnt out of position but just invisible
He made a few good tackles on Riddick. I don't give a damn if I'm being optimistic, but I'm not giving up on him yet. Especially after only the first week. His quick twitch is still there. His instincts are still there. The Honey Badger will come back alive 100%.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
This Just In: Golden Tate is one of the speediest, most difficult slot WRs to cover in the NFL, especially when you are playing man to man without a heckuva lot of help underneath. Badger was close with him all game. Too bad some passes weren't hurried better or deflected because Badger may have gotten his hands on a couple of them.

BYW---I thought Bettcher would put Patrick Peterson on Tate and bracket Marvin Jones with Bethel and the FS. He refused to. Even when Tate was clearly the one doing the most damage, Bettcher never countered.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Just In: Golden Tate is one of the speediest, most difficult slot WRs to cover in the NFL, especially when you are playing man to man without a heckuva lot of help underneath. Badger was close with him all game. Too bad some passes weren't hurried better or deflected because Badger may have gotten his hands on a couple of them.

BYW---I thought Bettcher would put Patrick Peterson on Tate and bracket Marvin Jones with Bethel and the FS. He refused to. Even when Tate was clearly the one doing the most damage, Bettcher never countered.
That too, on golden Tate

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
HB looked really good in the preseason and absolutely terrible in coverage on Sunday. Gonna chalk this one up to the scheme and not the player's ability. Not worried about HB. More worried about 100 year old Bethea supposedly covering behind him.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
That is ugly

It is also the truth of the matter.

Tyrann Mathieu is an average player at best after his injuries. I would compare him to Bob Sanders, but at least Sander was still effective when healthy.

Between Mathieu and John Brown the Cardinals literally are living a worse case scenario......oh, and the best thing they had going for them is currently hurt and out for most the season.

Again, this team doesn't get normal injuries, its like there is a sniper out there and he is just taking down the most important pieces of the team. It started with Tyrann Mathieu's injury against the Eagles in 2015, and it has been a complete nightmare since.

It REALLY sucks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HB looked really good in the preseason and absolutely terrible in coverage on Sunday. Gonna chalk this one up to the scheme and not the player's ability. Not worried about HB. More worried about 100 year old Bethea supposedly covering behind him.

I wasn't seeing the Badger others did. He had that one nice pick but what really caught my eye there was how slow he looked on the running back. That was a pick six for a corner who still had decent speed.

But I agree on Bethea as well.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The 8 for 8 stat contains a hidden factor - i.e. What the freak was Bettcher doing having our slot corner/safety covering arguably their best receiver on 8 patterns and who knows how many other plays?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The 8 for 8 stat contains a hidden factor - i.e. What the freak was Bettcher doing having our slot corner/safety covering arguably their best receiver on 8 patterns and who knows how many other plays?

He has his 8 million dollar, "best defensive player in the NFL when healthy" cornerback on their best receiver. The only place I see where the coach is at fault there is for having the player out there on the field.

But, to be fair, it is the GM that is paying a very average player, big money. Mathieu's role on this team is to be able to cover and make plays, and he has not done either since 2015.

If he puts Peterson on him, then Marvin Jones would be open.......and it goes on from there.

I am NOT a huge Bettcher fan, not in the least, but talent issues are not his problem.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
talk is cheap---------time for everyone on this team to shut-up and put-up now.

Reaction score
Mathieu has a lane, but stumbles after the catch: “Had I caught it clean, I probably would have got to the sideline and I may have scored. I didn’t catch it clean, so I had to run through traffic a bit. At that point, it’s all about securing the ball. You definitely don’t want to give the ball back to them, because at that point, all they would need is three points to win. We were already in field goal range. Me and Phil had a conversation on the sideline before the play. He owes me a bottle of wine (for giving him a second chance at a game-winner)."

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, i'm really not sure how seriously to take this:
Mathieu uses an unconventional tactic on the interception: “Once I got a good break and I saw the ball – and I saw ‘Los out of my peripheral – that’s when I closed my eyes. The ball was just magically in my hands.”

Mathieu won’t be trying that again, but points out he got the preferred result: “Like I was telling (money linebacker Deone Bucannon) the other day, ‘When you kiss somebody, sometimes you kiss them with your eyes closed, sometimes you kiss them with your eyes open. Either way it goes, it’s still a kiss.’”

Dansby was swooping in for an interception of his own: “I felt the ball in my hand and all of a sudden I just see him run by, so he really kind of took it from me. That would have been 20 (career interceptions), man. He told me he closed his eyes, so I let him have it.”

I really hope Mathieu doesn't ever use this "close my eyes" technique again!

...dave

Reaction score
Hmm, i'm really not sure how seriously to take this:

I really hope Mathieu doesn't ever use this "close my eyes" technique again!

...dave

I really think he is still just messing with Karlos since he stole his 20th from him. That's my theory & I'm sticking to it. :)

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I have been very hard on Mathieu, but the last two weeks he has been solid. He is no longer a playmaker, but for this season, just not being a liability will be enough. I thought he did his job well against the Bucs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson