Colts Game: Better to laugh then cry

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The first thing of note for this week, is this is a no win game. Yes, the Cardinals may win the game.......may. If they do, it is expected, if these lose, they are will confirm what many have already come to grips with and that is:

Season? Done. Window? Closed. Rebuild? Unless Keim is raving moron, starting.

I wrote in early preseason when the Cardinals kept Carson Palmer, and Larry Fitzgerald, that if the Cardinals are going to try to win with the current group that took the field in 2015, it would be a risk. Not only a risk for this season, but for the team's future.

I will always think of George Allen, past coach of Washington, and his idea that he would win with veterans that know the game. Yet, Allen never did. Why? Injuries, and father time.

Week 1 Injury List:

- David Johnson
- DJ Humphries ...... again
- Mike Iupati ...... again
- Jermaine Gresham ..... has had a history of injury problems, FYI.
- Troy Niklas ....... again
- John Brown ....... again
- Deone Bucanon ...... again

---------------------------------------

Here is a list of VASTLY overpaid players on this team:

- Tyrann Mathieu
- Drew Stanton

---------------------------------------

Here is a list of older veterans that if you are rebuilding, should be sent on their way:

- Jared Veldheer
- Corey Peters
- Karlos Dansby
- Larry Fitzgerald <--blasphemy I know.
- Tramon Williams
- Antoine Bethea
- Frostee Rucker
- Phillip Wheeler
- A.Q. Shipley
- Tyvon Branch

There are 16 starters on listed above. That means out of your top 22 players that should see the field, five of them have a logical future on with this club.........five.

It is early in the season, and I will be rooting for this team to succeed, but I just do not see it happening. There was a lot of belief in this organization that this team and a lot of these players above would bounce back.

So far, most have just continued to decline.

And while yes, the front office, and Cardinals brass do deserve blame, it is hard to blame a team where players like John Brown, Tyrann Mathieu, and David Johnson (at least for this season) simply got injuries that they could not over come, and not only affected a season, but the players entire career.

It is not like the Cardinals draft players who are injury prone, they actually pass up a lot of player in the draft because of injury, but it shows that you need some luck in the NFL, and if the Cardinals didn't have bad luck, they would have had none over the last few seasons.

But, there is no one in the league that is going to feel sorry for the Cardinals, they have to rebuild. There are too many players that are key components on this team, and they are completely unreliable to see the field.

I said, back at the beginnning of the offseason, if I were running the show (well, first it would be a nightmare, LOL) but I would have started the rebuild last offseason, and now I am saying, if this team wants to make a showing that they believe they are still contenders (which I do not think they are) that is respectable and understood.

But, at some point, I think you cut your loses, and start to do WHATEVER you can to prepare for the next season and the future. There are huge holes at quarterback, wide receiver, tight end, offensive line, inside linebacker, cornerback, and safety that will need to be addressed.

That is a lot of holes. You have players like Mike Iupati, who could be traded for something, and have Alex Boone come in and play that position. With David Johnson out, this team is going to pass, pass, pass, and Mike Iupati looks pretty poor in pass protection. Yet, the Cardinals would have to find a team that is desperate for an offensive guard, and blackmail them, but hey, who cares, just get something.

For the 2015, season? On to Indy, and go beat the Colts, and then take on the next week, and the next. See what happens, and try to get a plan going forward.

So, while this could be seen as a doom and gloom post, meh, it is what it is. This was a risk season, and the risk blew up in the team's face. It happens. Still football season, and while this team is not going to make the playoffs, they have some talent. If a few guys are healthy for a few games, they will probably upset some really good teams during the season. Heck if they beat the Cowboys and go 1-15 I will call the season a success! :D

So, heads up, and let's enjoy the season, we have seen and been through WAY WAY worse as a fan base, so have fun on Sundays, do not get too invested, and we will all regroup in the offseason and see what the future has in hold.

......oh, and have fun blasting, and tearing apart this post of course. I am sure there will be some disagreements and what not.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
At this point, I'm just hoping for a good performance on Sunday so I can look forward to the home opener instead of dreading it. I'm just staying there from an expectation standpoint right now.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they start a rebuild with Stanton as starting QB I will poke my eyes out.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I've never believed in tearing down a team and starting over. I've always believed in adding players as you need them. This year we needed to add a WR and a CB badly and we didn't. Injuries suck no matter what. The team that is healthy at the end of the year is usually the one going to the Super Bowl. This team can win still if Palmer gets his act together in the first few games. The season depends on him.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
This team can win still if Palmer gets his act together in the first few games. The season depends on him.

I am officially putting a fork in Palmer. He is old, and he is not going to get better, IMHO. This has been about 1 full season worth of play since the Philadelphia game in 2015 (man has this team fell apart since that game or what?!?!) and Palmer has been pretty poor, even for him, since that time.

Right now? Palmer has to be the QB, but I think it would be madness and a waste of the 2018 season to keep him as the only option at QB. And I really like Carson Palmer, but father time has it in for him right now. And no, I do not think Blaine Gabbert is going to be the QoF, maybe the backup QoF but not the starter.

Of course it would be great if I am wrong on all this.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Iupati will not be traded because of the mentality of the GM and HC. They have this loyalty thing in their heads and it affects their decisions. Loyalty to the detriment of the team.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Iupati has a way bigger case being on the overpaid list than Tyrann.

A fair point, my question back is,

What has Mathieu done since the Eagles game in 2015, do slate him as an 8 million dollar player ?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A fair point, my question back is,

What has Mathieu done since the Eagles game in 2015, do slate him as an 8 million dollar player ?
He used a brace all of 2016 & we know how braces affect DBs, so I would have to give him a pass. Now, if he has a underwhelming 2017, without the brace, then I would agree with you that he's vastly overpaid.

He tore his 1st ACL in 2013, wore a brace in 2014 & was underwhelming, then emerged as a top 5 DPOY candidate in 2015. This is the same process I am going by when it comes to him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, I hope Keim won't have to trade up to grab the QB they want because he really needs to hit next year's draft HARD.

1st(QB)
2nd
2 3rds
2 4ths

He really needs to hit those. Those are key.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Love the post, thanks for the breakdown. I'm not confident about this Sunday to be honest, I'm expecting a loss, that way I won't be disappointed if/when it happens. Thank God for fantasy football to carry me through this season.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If cards lose this gm i am going to punch a hole in my living room wall.... but hopin to god that doesnt happen.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It all starts with the QB. Its a good year for qbs in the 2018 draft. Cards have to get one.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Startin to get a little nervous man i hope cards make waking up early tom worth it.

Hate early kickoff games :(.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Iupati will not be traded because of the mentality of the GM and HC. They have this loyalty thing in their heads and it affects their decisions. Loyalty to the detriment of the team.

He won't be traded because an injury prone, aging guard has no value.

BTW trading up for QBs often doesn't fit the chart. To get to the top of this draft it would likely take 2 number ones plus assuming the Cards finish 7-9.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
After one game really dude????

No, I am not writing this because of Week 1 of this season.

After this preseason, last year, and really since the Eagles game, where I believe we have seen the last of Tyrann Mathieu in the form where he was a dominant force.

This is the same aging team, with the same issues, and I believe things are not going to improve.

I 100% understand what the Cardinals plan was. I 100% understand why fans would disagree or not find this post "valid" because of this time of year, just one game in.

Just my opinion that this core of players and this "window" is closed, and some, like myself, could argued it was closed last year.

There is nothing I am seeing that is showing a team that is "on the rise" or "has room for improvement". The reliable veterans are too old, the younger core is WAY too injury prone, and some of the budding superstars have injuries that may not be career ending, but they have taken away what made those players special.

I still do not blame the organization for taking a risk on this season, just looks to me the risk is going to come without the reward. When David Johnson went down, that is just too much for this team to overcome from what I see.

I see a very tough season ahead, with little to look forward to. Not the end of the world, we still have 15 games of football to enjoy, and this is the NFL. ANYTHING could happen.

I hope to be wrong, but I feel this is one of those, "its going to get worse before it gets better".

Let the season play out, Keim will still be around, and Michael Bidwill is still the owner, if Arians sticks around for a little bit longer, I will be happy to hear. They have the people there to make this work, and to re-build/re-load.

Just for this season, this "window"/core, it is looking like it is the end of the line. It happens.

Again, understand it is a bit of a negative post and all that and I am happy to read people do not like what I am posting or write it off as an over-reaction, that is because there is belief in the organization, like there has never been before. The NFL is a roller-coaster ride, I feel we are going down, but that only mean we will be rising again soon.

Reign Blood

Tattooed Hundredaire
Reaction score
No, I am not writing this because of Week 1 of this season.

After this preseason, last year, and really since the Eagles game, where I believe we have seen the last of Tyrann Mathieu in the form where he was a dominant force.

This is the same aging team, with the same issues, and I believe things are not going to improve.

I 100% understand what the Cardinals plan was. I 100% understand why fans would disagree or not find this post "valid" because of this time of year, just one game in.

Just my opinion that this core of players and this "window" is closed, and some, like myself, could argued it was closed last year.

There is nothing I am seeing that is showing a team that is "on the rise" or "has room for improvement". The reliable veterans are too old, the younger core is WAY too injury prone, and some of the budding superstars have injuries that may not be career ending, but they have taken away what made those players special.

I still do not blame the organization for taking a risk on this season, just looks to me the risk is going to come without the reward. When David Johnson went down, that is just too much for this team to overcome from what I see.

I see a very tough season ahead, with little to look forward to. Not the end of the world, we still have 15 games of football to enjoy, and this is the NFL. ANYTHING could happen.

I hope to be wrong, but I feel this is one of those, "its going to get worse before it gets better".

Let the season play out, Keim will still be around, and Michael Bidwill is still the owner, if Arians sticks around for a little bit longer, I will be happy to hear. They have the people there to make this work, and to re-build/re-load.

Just for this season, this "window"/core, it is looking like it is the end of the line. It happens.

Again, understand it is a bit of a negative post and all that and I am happy to read people do not like what I am posting or write it off as an over-reaction, that is because there is belief in the organization, like there has never been before. The NFL is a roller-coaster ride, I feel we are going down, but that only mean we will be rising again soon.
Oops for you look who got us the pick.

Chill dude and enjoy! The first four games of the season is the preseason.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Oops for you look who got us the pick.

I am still not convince Tyrann Mathieu is any more than a very average player at this point in his career. Not going to flip-flop after one game against a 3rd string QB, and an event that would have never happened if our kicker could make a clutch FG the first time around.

That being said, I was jumping up and down when it happened. Hope there is more and hope to be proved wrong.......just like last year.

....actually, if I can get an "Oops" post for John Brown next, I would be REALLY happy. Those two are key players that the Cardinals have just had HORRID luck with.

Chill dude and enjoy! The first four games of the season is the preseason.

With all due respect, I think I have explained that I neither have to "chill" or the fact I am enjoying this season & will continue to do so. I have stated so about 3 times in this post, and really am not going to hash that out again.

If you are getting that I am screaming at my computer and kicking the dog down the street, then I guess my writing is confusing, but that is not the case, plain and simple. In a nutshell, I thought what we are seeing out of this team right could be the case back in the offseason, gave the team the benefit of the doubt on certain players, but my thoughts on where I think the team is, is posted above in detail.

If you think I am upset that the Cardinals won, not sure what I can tell you on that front. I was very happy as I always am when the Cardinals win.

Thus you can cook the crow, but I am not eating it. The Cardinals beat the Colts, and I enjoyed the watching the game, and the win, pretty much posted that yesterday. But, if we want to be real about it, the Cardinals beat the Colts ......... big whoop, which was the point of this thread to begin with. That the Colts game was a catch-22, with no real positive, long term, result possible.

.......now if they beat the Cowboys, then I like my crow a with a cranberry braising, and that nice homemade apple sauce that still has the apple chunks in it...so good. Because the team can go 2-14 and if they beat the Cowboys the season is a success in my eyes, even though that statement is devoid of logic. LOL!