Kurt Warner on Practice

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I said it all week! The timing between receivers & Carson was way off, I don't care what BA said.

Personally I think the Cards need to open it up starting this week to get back in sync.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
How about this. Let them cut the preseason games down to like 2 or 3 but make them important, as in if you come out with a winning record, you get home field advantage if you are in the playoffs.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Another topic to hash out in what promises to be a very messy CBA negotiation in 2021.

Yes, there should be more practices, especially padded ones.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about this. Let them cut the preseason games down to like 2 or 3 but make them important, as in if you come out with a winning record, you get home field advantage if you are in the playoffs.
Not a good idea. Pre-season is for the rookies and a few vets trying to make an impact. Sitting veteran players for a majority of the games has been going on forever. It's only the last few years that it seems to be an issue. Also, what happens if you have 2 teams meet in the playoffs who both went 4-0? Or who had similar records good or bad?

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I find this very interesting. I would never dispute Kurt Warner on this and he most likely is right about it. Couple that with BA's propensity to disdain
organized stretching and warm-ups of players, and the obvious lack of having strength and conditioning done at a team level-----(BA tends to rely
on individual workouts instead), and you have a recipe nearly tailor made for disaster. Case in point---------last year DJ had a uniquely great rookie season-----------this year, he worked to shed ten more pounds than he carried last year, and became brittle instead and was injured in the first game he had to hit in. Left to their own desires, too may players either do too much or too little by way of conditioning or stretching. BA can effect much of that, but chooses not to. Look at Troy Nicklaus as an example------a constant injury looking for a place to happen. I am not a fan of BA's reliance on the players to police their own methods of conditioning and stretching. Never have been.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find this very interesting. I would never dispute Kurt Warner on this and he most likely is right about it. Couple that with BA's propensity to disdain
organized stretching and warm-ups of players, and the obvious lack of having strength and conditioning done at a team level-----(BA tends to rely
on individual workouts instead), and you have a recipe nearly tailor made for disaster. Case in point---------last year DJ had a uniquely great rookie season-----------this year, he worked to shed ten more pounds than he carried last year, and became brittle instead and was injured in the first game he had to hit in. Left to their own desires, too may players either do too much or too little by way of conditioning or stretching. BA can effect much of that, but chooses not to. Look at Troy Nicklaus as an example------a constant injury looking for a place to happen. I am not a fan of BA's reliance on the players to police their own methods of conditioning and stretching. Never have been.

What do you mean lack of S&C coaching and BA preferring individual workouts? I know nothing of this. I have read quite the opposite really.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Maybe I'm the only one but the starters would play the first half in every preseason game for me. That's the only way they will be ready for the season.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know where you have been, but BA does not hold any stretching or warm ups for games-----------expects the players to do that on their own
----same goes with off season conditioning-------other than running, he does little from a team perspective on conditioning

he does rely on individual workouts far too much, and it shows in the relative lack of conditioning throughout the entire roster

Injuries happen---yes. But left to their own choices, players, (especially young ones), have a hard time trying to know when they are at peak performance training. Far too many of them are either over or under conditioned---------thus making for brittle or unconditioned bodies for game day. Couple that with lack of preseason hitting and you have a recipe for disaster as we have seen for the past two years now. Same people with the same injuries time after time after time. No one riding herd on the conditioning is terrible.

Reaction score
My two cents to revamp NFL preseason: Rookies and non-starting 2nd and 3rd year players must report the first day of training camp. Any non starting veteran (4th NFL season or more) that wishes to report the first day, may but is not required. No games only intra-squad scrimmages. After two weeks the remainder of the team reports. First pre-season game only non-starters play. Second preseason game - full dress rehearsal, i.e. - played the same as you would a regular season game, but win-loss does not count as regular season game.

Outcome: Same length of time for coaches/teams to evaluate younger players. Veterans/starters exposed to potential injury for shorter period of time in camp and only a single game. Everyone up to game speed and ready for Week 1 of season.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Don't know where you have been, but BA does not hold any stretching or warm ups for games-----------expects the players to do that on their own
----same goes with off season conditioning-------other than running, he does little from a team perspective on conditioning

he does rely on individual workouts far too much, and it shows in the relative lack of conditioning throughout the entire roster

Injuries happen---yes. But left to their own choices, players, (especially young ones), have a hard time trying to know when they are at peak performance training. Far too many of them are either over or under conditioned---------thus making for brittle or unconditioned bodies for game day. Couple that with lack of preseason hitting and you have a recipe for disaster as we have seen for the past two years now. Same people with the same injuries time after time after time. No one riding herd on the conditioning is terrible.

Some posters do not think organized warmups are necessary with the argument that pros should be responsible for getting themselves ready for practices and games. As a former athlete and coach, I have always seen the value of team organized warmups, as much for mental preparation as physical. With BA, it is what it is...and I guess it's a moot point.

However, what seems to be a very troubling pattern under BA is how quickly injured players are rushed back into action. BA seems to have little patience for injuries and he even calls players out in the media, like he did the WRs in camp who were injured, all of whom tried to come back, except John Brown who said he would come back when he's ready.

But...last year rushing G Evan Mathis back sent him quickly to the season ending IR. This year it was clear that Mike Iupati was suffering with his triceps injury (how can a guard be effective with an injured triceps?)...he's rushed back for game one and now it looks like he's a scratch for game 2. How about Justin Bethel last year? How about Tyrann Mathieu? How about Nkemdiche last year, when it was clear he was limited by the ankle (BA conceded this year they under-estiamated the severity of his ankle). Playing Alex Okafor last year with one good arm. How about playing John Brown last week when he admitted he was only feeling like he's at 70%? Now it looks like he is a game 2 scratch. Dans by isn't healthy, so how long will it be before his injury worsens? How about putting David Johnson with a dislocated wrist back into the game?

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some posters do not think organized warmups are necessary with the argument that pros should be responsible for getting themselves ready for practices and games. As a former athlete and coach, I have always seen the value of team organized warmups, as much for mental preparation as physical. With BA, it is what it is...and I guess it's a moot point.

However, what seems to be a very troubling pattern under BA is how quickly injured players are rushed back into action. BA seems to have little patience for injuries and he even calls players out in the media, like he did the WRs in camp who were injured, all of whom tried to come back, except John Brown who said he would come back when he's ready.

But...last year rushing G Evan Mathis back sent him quickly to the season ending IR. This year it was clear that Mike Iupati was suffering with his triceps injury (how can a guard be effective with an injured triceps?)...he's rushed back for game one and now it looks like he's a scratch for game 2. How about Justin Bethel last year? How about Tyrann Mathieu? How about Nkemdiche last year, when it was clear he was limited by the ankle (BA conceded this year they under-estiamated the severity of his ankle). Playing Alex Okafor last year with one good arm. How about playing John Brown last week when he admitted he was only feeling like he's at 70%? Now it looks like he is a game 2 scratch. Dans by isn't healthy, so how long will it be before his injury worsens? How about putting David Johnson with a dislocated wrist back into the game?

This are good points and maybe this comes from BA past, in the 60 70 and 80 no one asked are you injured, should we rest you, you started or you didn't.

And yes we as fans know BA's failures maybe even more than he himself. But I didn't see him changing.

I was critical of BAs inability to change, because it seems more and more Whizenhuntesk ... or was it Whisenpuntesk ...

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BA does not have stretching as part of practice because he is allowed only so much time for practice according to the CBA. It's a clever way to get more actual practice time.

Drew Stanton for one praised Buddy Morrison for the excellent training program he designed for Drew. IIRC Drew said it's amazing how Buddy can do this for every single player.

So I say bull cocky to anyone saying BA doesn't believe in conditioning.

Players throughout the league rush back ASAP from injuries to get back on the field and help their teammates and save their job (can't make the club from the tub). To single out BA for doing/allowing what every other HC does is simply unfair.

Their have been studies that show stretching is unproductive and simply getting the body warmed up is more than adequate.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BA does not have stretching as part of practice because he is allowed only so much time for practice according to the CBA. It's a clever way to get more actual practice time.

Drew Stanton for one praised Buddy Morrison for the excellent training program he designed for Drew. IIRC Drew said it's amazing how Buddy can do this for every single player.

So I say bull cocky to anyone saying BA doesn't believe in conditioning.

Players throughout the league rush back ASAP from injuries to get back on the field and help their teammates and save their job (can't make the club from the tub). To single out BA for doing/allowing what every other HC does is simply unfair.

Their have been studies that show stretching is unproductive and simply getting the body warmed up is more than adequate.