53rd player signed

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Signed to a "four-year, $26.8 million" contract just last year, Boone was part of the problem on the Vikings' horrendous offensive line last season as he battled hip and concussion issues. The Vikings will eat $3.4 million in a dead money hit this year but save $3.3 million. With Boone gone, the Vikings will likely go with a line of LT Riley Reiff, LG Nick Easton, C Pat Elflein, RG Joe Berger, and RT Mike Remmers. Boone turned 30 this year but should get another job quickly. Sep 2 - 3:37 PM

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Interesting - especially right now given he is a vested vet. He played with Iupati in SF, yes?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from last year:

Boone has been Minnesota's best offensive lineman this year, grading out positively in pass blocking at PFF. T.J. Clemmings is the Vikings only other option at left tackle. Sun, Nov 13, 2016 06:30:00 PM

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice Iupati insurance if he's healthy. I didn't watch any Vikings pre-season games so I have no idea if he was cut because of his quality of play or just a cap casualty.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 year deal

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...ex-Boone/948ef979-c953-473c-aeda-588a2c5632b2

Starting left guard Mike Iupati has been dealing with a right triceps injury, but he was back at practice Monday. The starting right guard is second-year man Evan Boehm. Whether Boone would be an option to start or if he joins just to round out the offensive line depth is to be determined, but in a position group that had depth questions, it’s exactly what GM Steve Keim sought.

Boone, 30, went from undrafted rookie to long-time starter with the 49ers. A former teammate of Iupati in San Francisco, Boone signed a four-year contract free-agent last season with Minnesota, starting 14 games.

Scheduled to make $6.7 million with the Vikings, he was released after declining to take a pay cut in Minnesota. The Vikings had tried to trade him as well.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Boone was at the top of my wish list which i posted today! I hope it's a 2-3 year deal. I would immediately (not for week 1, but for week 2) switch Boehm over to center and start Boone next to Veldheer. The whole line just got stronger. Wow, great job Keim.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This seems like a great pickup. I can't see anything bad to come of this, especially since we ended up with Dorian Johnson on the practice squad.

:bday:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
MMMMM I like this pickup------------great depth, and very knowledgeable with iupati at RG---------I agree with Mitch--------we just got stronger

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boone was at the top of my wish list which i posted today! I hope it's a 2-3 year deal. I would immediately (not for week 1, but for week 2) switch Boehm over to center and start Boone next to Veldheer. The whole line just got stronger. Wow, great job Keim.

1-year

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

60% of his snaps have been at RG in his career.

So he can play RG or LG if we need him.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I expected something to improve the defensive line unit
Our Achilles heel in my opinion

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
This is such a good signing.

What I wonder now is whether Boone will take over at RG for Boehm (which, let's be real, Boone's one of the better guards in the NFL) and Boehm will be switched to center or become the game day swing C/G, if the coaches decide to stick with Shipley at C or go with Munyer.

Steve Keim said a very interesting number of things about Munyer today on Doug and Wolf --- he praised Munyer's quickness and his ability to get to the 2nd level and to take out blitzers --- the very skills that Shipley lacks. Maybe Munyer takes over at center with Iupati and Boone to each side? Or maybe Boehm? The potential to be a very good offensive line just got brighter.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is such a good signing.

What I wonder now is whether Boone will take over at RG for Boehm (which, let's be real, Boone's one of the better guards in the NFL) and Boehm will be switched to center or become the game day swing C/G, if the coaches decide to stick with Shipley at C or go with Munyer.

Steve Keim said a very interesting number of things about Munyer today on Doug and Wolf --- he praised Munyer's quickness and his ability to get to the 2nd level and to take out blitzers --- the very skills that Shipley lacks. Maybe Munyer takes over at center with Iupati and Boone to each side? Or maybe Boehm? The potential to be a very good offensive line just got brighter.
Boehm has gotten a TON of praise from the coaching staff this year, if anything I think he would slide to C.

However, with no ramp up time, I expect Boone will be waiting in the shadows for someone to go down or struggle.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
He's right guard

Pretty sure he can play both, but yes, he is better suited for right guard.

Gotta love the prospect of having Wetzel to backup the two tackle positions, and Boone to backup the two guard positions.

This can allow the Cardinals to have 7 active linemen on gameday, if a guard goes down Boone comes in at guard, if a tackle goes down then Wetzel comes in, if the center goes down Boehm goes to center for the game, and Boone comes in.

That is pretty solid depth right there.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure he can play both, but yes, he is better suited for right guard.

Gotta love the prospect of having Wetzel to backup the two tackle positions, and Boone to backup the two guard positions.

This can allow the Cardinals to have 7 active linemen on gameday, if a guard goes down Boone comes in at guard, if a tackle goes down then Wetzel comes in, if the center goes down Boehm goes to center for the game, and Boone comes in.

That is pretty solid depth right there.

I love Steve Keim.