Fall 2016 New TV Season

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for remakes, Stout, I couldn't care less. I don't need something to be highly original, I just need it to be good. Almost everything seems like a remake to me anyway so I tend to stay away from tired themes but I have no problem if they recycle names. If something feels too derivative it usually loses me fairly quickly. But you can call someone Buffy without the show feeling like a lazy copy. And most remakes do try to establish themselves as a unique property rather than simply a rehashing.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for remakes, Stout, I couldn't care less. I don't need something to be highly original, I just need it to be good. Almost everything seems like a remake to me anyway so I tend to stay away from tired themes but I have no problem if they recycle names. If something feels too derivative it usually loses me fairly quickly. But you can call someone Buffy without the show feeling like a lazy copy. And most remakes do try to establish themselves as a unique property rather than simply a rehashing.

Ecclesiastes 1:9

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again
there is nothing new under the sun.

:)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ecclesiastes 1:9

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again
there is nothing new under the sun.

:)

Ecclesiastes was in a rut. The phrase "under the sun" is used nowhere else in the Bible but it's used 29 times in the Book of Ecclesiastes.

It's the same old song
But with a different meaning
Since you been gone
But it's the same old song

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Really liking Designated Survivor right now.

The returned show Blindspot is pretty meh, same with Blacklist.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Cool little promo for all the CW Superhero shows:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Timeless? Eh, I don't know about it yet. I had high hopes, but now have big doubts. There were some interesting characters, a great premise, and a nice dose of mystery in the pilot. I liked the play on race and where such issues can lead in the future of the show. That said, there were also gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaping plot holes that had me rolling my eyes and crying out 'oh, come on!' more than once. I mean, we're not talking Swiss cheese--we're talking sinkhole plot holes.

I guess my bottom line is that, if the stupidity in the plot holes continues another episode, I'm out. They can't succeed with those (I'll put the most egregious ones in spoilers). If they avoid those going forward, I'll stick with it.

We have to open a window and throw the bomb out to completely and utterly solve the problem. Er, wait, that would be a simple solution that wouldn't provide drama or tension. So, should we come up with a reason why we can't do that? Er, no, just ignore the obvious LOL

When the dirigible was in roughly the same altitude, the fireball destroyed the ship and a great deal of the people on it--not just in reality, but in the show. Except, when the EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED in the alternate near future, it somehow landed in two seconds, everybody jumped off, and the fire literally killed NOBODY except the bad guy. LITERALLY, NOT A SINGLE PERSON. The reporter got shot afterwards. I mean, WTF? That's something I'd expect on Aqua Teen Hunger Force, not a serious TV show.

God, just typing it out makes it even worse. I probably shouldn't give it a second chance, but I will.

Stout

Reaction score
I'm dropping Timeless now. I decided in the middle of the Nazi/Ian Flemming episode. I'm sorry, but the horrific plot holes, lucky breaks, and glossing over of impossibilities/coincidences was just too much. Good concept, bad writers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pitch is pretty damn good, especially for network.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, we're starting to see stuff become cancelled, or at least, look to be cancelled.

2 shows that are pretty much done are The Exorcist and the aforementioned Pitch. Both have only 10 episode runs and neither have gotten committment for a second season or more episodes. Funny, because right now, those are probably my 2 favorite new shows, along with Lethal Weapon and Designated Survivor, which has tapered off a bit and has lost it's luster.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Designated Survivor has really hit it out of the park with their last 2 returning episodes. The end of the previous episode was totally out of the blue.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Designated Survivor has really hit it out of the park with their last 2 returning episodes. The end of the previous episode was totally out of the blue.

I agree and it is getting better after the break for sure.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Someone recommended Trial & Error so watch a couple of episodes on Hulu.

Gotta say - I'm liking it! John Lithgow is a gift to humanity! It's a cross between Modern Family (mockumentary) and My Cousin Vinny (NYC lawyer in small southern town).

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My mom was raving about this show when I talked to her Sunday. Is it available on-demand to catch up?

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Amazingly, Exorcist got renewed. If you haven't seen it, it is the best new show this season IMO.

Timeless was cancelled, but 4 days later NBC changed their mind and renewed it for 10 episodes.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really hope Timeless is brought back for season 3. What a great episode tonight.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I'm dropping Timeless now. I decided in the middle of the Nazi/Ian Flemming episode. I'm sorry, but the horrific plot holes, lucky breaks, and glossing over of impossibilities/coincidences was just too much. Good concept, bad writers.

I had watched a couple of episodes on Netflix - it was ok.

I like the Spaniard's version much better "The Ministry of Time" More character driven and with a lot less shoot 'em up, kill 'em up. They use doors instead of a time machine.

Stout

Reaction score
I had watched a couple of episodes on Netflix - it was ok.

I like the Spaniard's version much better "The Ministry of Time" More character driven and with a lot less shoot 'em up, kill 'em up. They use doors instead of a time machine.

I loved El Ministerio del Tiempo for two seasons. It fell apart so much, though, I couldn't finish it.