C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Check out this highlight tape of C.J. Beathard’s junior year. Sure, it’s a highlight tape—but what is clearly evident:

1. Excellent play action execution.
2. Good strong deep throws with timing and air time.
3. Moves and throws equally well to right and left (squares up shoulders on the run, beautifully).
4. Good mobility in the red zone. Can win with his feet.
5. Good vision down field from pocket and on the run.
6. Plays bigger, stronger than 6-2, 209 would suggest
7. Led Iowa to a 12-0 record, !st place in Big Ten West (8-0), lost in Big Ten CG to MSU, 13-16.

BTW---on the tape below check out TE George Kittle (6-4, 246) #46. He's in the draft this year as well.

What NFL.com said about him after last season:

Beathard redshirted in 2012 before playing 14 games (one start) during the next two seasons. He started all 14 games in 2015 and completed 61.6-percent of his passes for 2,809 yards with 17 TDs and 5 INTs. Beathard lacks ideal size and still needs to become more consistent with his footwork. But he has a live arm, he's tough, he has good leadership qualities (two-year team captain) and so far he's a proven winner (13-2 as a starter). Beathard, who underwent sports hernia surgery in the offseason, can become an early round pick if he continues to improve as a second-year starter. June 6, 2016

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I've seem him play plenty and am/was utterly un-impressed. He does nothing special and may eventually be a decent backup. You're really reaching and hoping to hit lightning in a bottle if you draft him as a QBOF.

We don't need to draft guys like Peterson from Pitt or Beathard unless it's a 5th round or below flyer.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Rich Barnes | USA TODAY Sports Images
C.J. Beathard and the Hawkeyes face Florida in the Outback Bowl.
College football: Iowa QB C.J. Beathard wraps up winning career with bowl trip

IOWA CITY, Iowa — C.J. Beathard won't be remembered for his stats, but he will go down as one of the winningest quarterbacks Iowa has ever had.

Beathard enters his final game with 21st-ranked Iowa, next week's Outback Bowl against No. 20 Florida (8-4), with 5,507 yards passing, 40 touchdowns and 16 interceptions. Beathard is 21-6 as a starter, often winning while playing hurt and throwing to a less than spectacular group of receivers.

Coach Kirk Ferentz put a lot on the line when he named Beathard the starter over incumbent Jake Rudock in January 2015, and the move worked out.

"No matter what happens in the bowl game, I'd say it's been extremely successful. Bill Parcells defined this better than anybody. It's about moving the team. It's about leading the team," Ferentz said about Beathard's career. "The bottom line is, our players love him. They believe in him. They follow him. He's been a great leader."

The irony of Beathard's career at Iowa was that he never intended to be a Hawkeye.

Beathard, who grew up outside of Nashville, led all Tennessee prep quarterbacks in passing yards, completions and touchdowns as a junior and senior and signed with Mississippi. But a coaching change at Ole Miss led Beathard to Iowa, which rarely if ever recruits in that part of the country.

Beathard redshirted in 2012 and barely saw action the following season as Rudock, a year ahead of him, solidified his hold of the starting job. It was clear that Beathard could be a dual threat, Power Five-type starter after throwing for 145 yards and rushing for 82 more in the second half of a miserable bowl loss to Tennessee to close out 2014.

But Beathard was growing increasingly frustrated that he might play behind Rudock yet again in 2015.

The program needed a spark though, and Ferentz decided that Beathard might be the guy to provide it.

"It's been an incredible journey. But that's part of life...you have ups and downs. That's how my career here has been. But I wouldn't change it because it makes you better in the long run," Beathard said. "It made me a better player."

The Hawkeyes got hot under Beathard's leadership in 2015 — despite the fact that he played at far less than 100 percent for most of the year — and rolled to the first 12-0 regular season in school history before falling a play short of the playoff.

Beathard threw for 17 touchdowns last season, but his value to Iowa was so obvious that he earned second-team All-Big Ten honors.

"He is really like a lineman. He doesn't care about himself. He has a bad game, we win and he's happy. That lays the blueprint for the rest of the team," tackle Ike Boettger said.

Beathard looked poised for a big season just two games into 2016, throwing for 235 yards and three touchdowns in a 42-3 blowout of rival Iowa State. But a season-ending injury to star receiver Matt VandeBerg, the lack of development by Iowa's young receivers and another injury to talented tight end George Kittle crippled Iowa's passing game.

Iowa relied heavily on the running game down the stretch, and it helped produce huge home wins over Michigan and Nebraska.

"It's fun playing with a guy who has such a team-first attitude," running back LeShun Daniels Jr. said.

Beathard's NFL draft stock is uncertain because he didn't put up the kind of numbers that would have elevated him into the upper rounds.

But if Beathard can stay healthy, he might prove to be a steal for whatever pro team picks him up.

"We obviously don't throw the ball as much as a lot of these teams do. We won 40-10 the other day and I threw it 15 times. We do what we need to do to win games. But this offense really prepares you for the next level, in the sense of the mental capacity and the things I need to do at the line of scrimmage reading coverages," Beathard said.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I've seem him play plenty and am/was utterly un-impressed. He does nothing special and may eventually be a decent backup. You're really reaching and hoping to hit lightning in a bottle if you draft him as a QBOF.

We don't need to draft guys like Peterson from Pitt or Beathard unless it's a 5th round or below flyer.

The crazy thing is, you never know. Who would have ever thought Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Trevor Semien, Kurt Warner would have ever made a team in the NFL, let alone become NFL starters and make a splash.

Beathard is a tough, do what it take to win QB.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
That career ending bowl trip:

Beathard 7/23 for 55 yards and 3 Ints in a 30-3 loss to Florida.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Check out this highlight tape of C.J. Beathard’s junior year. Sure, it’s a highlight tape—but what is clearly evident:

1. Excellent play action execution.
2. Good strong deep throws with timing and air time.
3. Moves and throws equally well to right and left (squares up shoulders on the run, beautifully).
4. Good mobility in the red zone. Can win with his feet.
5. Good vision down field from pocket and on the run.
6. Plays bigger, stronger than 6-2, 209 would suggest
7. Led Iowa to a 12-0 record, !st place in Big Ten West (8-0), lost in Big Ten CG to MSU, 13-16.

BTW---on the tape below check out TE George Kittle (6-4, 246) #46. He's in the draft this year as well.

What NFL.com said about him after last season:

Beathard redshirted in 2012 before playing 14 games (one start) during the next two seasons. He started all 14 games in 2015 and completed 61.6-percent of his passes for 2,809 yards with 17 TDs and 5 INTs. Beathard lacks ideal size and still needs to become more consistent with his footwork. But he has a live arm, he's tough, he has good leadership qualities (two-year team captain) and so far he's a proven winner (13-2 as a starter). Beathard, who underwent sports hernia surgery in the offseason, can become an early round pick if he continues to improve as a second-year starter. June 6, 2016

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dude every QB you see you think is the goods

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6'2" guys usually end up being 6 1/2'" @ the combine. Is he an invite?

Trubisky will most likely shrink down to 6' 1 1/2" from college 6' 3".

Reaction score
He reminds me a little of Jake. Is it just me or do the wr's seem to slow up & wait for the ball & then take off on the deep passes?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
One advantage he already has is he's taken snaps under center and ran more pro style offense. Less of a learning curve. Does seem to move well in the pocket to avoid pressure. I would take a flyer on him.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
6'2" guys usually end up being 6 1/2'" @ the combine. Is he an invite?

Trubisky will most likely shrink down to 6' 1 1/2" from college 6' 3".
Robert griffin was listed 6'2''
We thought he was 6'1''
He ended up being 6'2''5/8,6'3''
Are pretty accurate about qbs instead of cornerbacks or wide receiver

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since I follow Iowa I watched ALL of his games. The kid's a "gamer." As for the Florida game? Great defense by the gators and C. J. was playing on one leg pretty much most of the game. If he was there in the 3rd or 4th I would strongly consider rolling the dice.

Hey, bud. Hope you're doing okay in the S*N*O*W!!

Mark :)

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
If we don't get a Qb this year I hope they take a look at Mason Rudolph of Oklahoma State, big guy, real accurate and great arm
.Yes, this is a homer pick but his stats don't lie.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we don't get a Qb this year I hope they take a look at Mason Rudolph of Oklahoma State, big guy, real accurate and great arm
.Yes, this is a homer pick but his stats don't lie.
Rudolph has some sick stats in that offense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose