Watson at 13 YES OR NO

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Undecided as of yet but if you need a count make that a No with options to jump on the bandwagon at a future date.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes to this. Emphatically. No to Watson, yes to Mahomes II. I don't see, other than team wins, anything Watson does as well or better than Mahomes II.

Mahomes will be measured and weighed at the combine. I am guessing Watson won't even show up.

Hey Mitch, check this article out...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...watson-49ers-browns/t3pvkv342oav1m3bnaugzlvdk
Citing 100% bs story and throwing out guesses that were proven wrong before they were said. Must be a lib.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
aint gonna happen...carson is returning and our coach believes you need to start rookie qb's that are drafted high

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am warming up big-time to Patrick Mahomes. In studying his film---his quick release and 3/4 motion remind me a lot of Phillip Rivers, and his scrambling ability reminds me a lot of Aaron Rodgers. A year to learn the system and to adjust to a pro-style offense I think he can take the reins in 2018. I could see BA devise a "package" for him to play in certain situations this year.

I would have no problems taking him at #13. He has the strongest arm in the draft and the best combination of quick release and mobility.

Mitch, that is a very good call in my book. About a month ago or something like that, I predicted that Mahomes could end up as a top ten-pick. Obviously, I was not sure of it, and I still could see him drop, but my point was that he is the kind of quarterback that some coaches typically falls in love with. He is a big guy with a powerful arm and overall physics, so though it is easy to find areas where he is not that good, all the measurable stuff is there to develop a great player. On top of that, he is by all accounts a great guy and leader, and to me, that is the aspect that seperates a lot of quarterbacks and quarterback prospects from each other. If a prospect doesn't command respect from his teammates, if they don't see him as a guy worthy of leading their team, then all the talent in the world won't matter. If the guy is not willing to put in the time during the week, either because he does not love the game enough, or because he cannot see the need for improvement in certain aspect, then in won't matter what else he can do. Those traits are obviously impossible for us fans to know about, but we can make educated guesses as to how the interview-phase will go, and I believe that Mahomes is a guy who will do very well, and who will win over some coaches and personnel-guys.

That said, I personally would not draft Mahomes in the first round. There have been many drafted quarterbacks coming from schools where they run the so-called Air Raid offenses. None - as in literally not a single one of them - have been a success in the NFL. I guess you would say that Case Keenum has been the most successful of them. Furthermore, the version of the Air Raid offense that they run at Texas Tech is a very pure version of it - meaning that they use it exclusively rather than just put certain concepts of it into their playbook. Not that it would definately say anything about Mahomes, but the headcoach and playcaller at Texas Tech, Kliff Kingsbury, were the offensive coordinator who made Johnny Manziel a huge star at Texas A&M and in the NCAA.

I would be interested, fascinated and excited if the Cardinals did select Mahomes because I believe he can possible be a very good quarterback in the NFL, but at the same time, I would personally be very careful to draft a quarterback with that background.

By the way, Mahomes actually said no to the Arizona Diamondbacks when they wanted to draft him a few years ago, so you might call it coming full circle if Steve Keim did indeed select him.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still haven't heard from the Yes voters what enamors them to Watson. Great college ball skills that don't translate to NFL P P style. I see Bobby Griffin.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Still haven't heard from the Yes voters what enamors them to Watson. Great college ball skills that don't translate to NFL P P style. I see Bobby Griffin.

I think his physical profile is appealing. He is an athletic QB who uses his scrambling ability to set up the pass. While his accuracy isn't top notch, it's good enough. Finally, he is a winner.

Look at the ridiculous comparison that Bodha made where he compared Watson to Boyd. The big difference between the two is that one excelled under pressure while the other folded.