Maybe Butler should not be allowed to hold because...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The Cardinals seem intent on replacing him with Wile, or at least I hope so, and as soon as he can manage the place holding job. Personally, the way the guy has been held onto after a tenure of suckage, what is to stop him from screwing up the hold on purpose with his ego hurt for his impending fate. The sooner this Butler thing is ended the better, it should be something so trivial for a team to do and the fact that the Cardinals have not makes this comical as well as something that could cost a win removed from his punting... kickers are weird and I do not trust him

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kickers are weird but our coaching staff have been weirder regarding special teams in general and Butler in particular. I've never in my life seen a team move...so...damn...slow addressing our long-snapper situation earlier in the year, our holder, and now Butler. You'd think it's the 1930's without internet, cell phones, instant replay, coaches 22 film, etc. It's like they're hitchhiking to another state to find prospects and sending a freaking letter snail mail and waiting for a response.

We should all note, however, that Catman has been exceptional this year despite his errors and in spite of the poor coaching around him on special teams. Kickers need routine and consistency, almost like a golfer. He's dealt with 2 long-snappers, numerous possible holders, and punters in and out of the lineup, who could potentially hold but maybe not. I doubted his mental toughness at times, but no longer, I believe he's proven to be the most steady player on our special teams, by far. Catman deserves props.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If it's any consolation, I do believe Amos Jones will be gone next year as special teams coach. Our ST's haven't been good under BA and Jones ever, and it was mildly acceptable at first, but they've gotten worse during BA's tenure. Now it's just a train-wreck.

I know some people don't value special teams that much, and perhaps I overvalue it, but when 1/3 of your team is the worst in the league and at some points historically bad, you're going to lose games because of it. We play in a division and conference that puts a premium on field position, close games, and points.

Our ST's don't have to be exceptional, just competent. They aren't.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think you over-value ST. There is a very small difference in a win and a loss. IMO, that difference is ST.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I don't think you over-value ST. There is a very small difference in a win and a loss. IMO, that difference is ST.
Special teams is a big difference maker in what amounts to most games on the professional game coming down to field position and where the important plays take place where there is little room for error. Dallas is a good example. Dak as a rookie, smartly has played within himself, they have a good back with a great run blocking line, but their defense is by far not special in anyway... it's their solid special teams play which has allowed them to win with a sub par defense in my opinion

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kansas City is another example. Great D, average offense, but good special teams.

If you control field position in the NFL you can win games. If you lose field position it makes it so difficult, almost impossible.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
Jones, Butler, and Catanzaro all need to go in my opinion. Clean house. The special teams unit has been an unmitigated disaster this season and piss poor kicking has been at the forefront.

8 missed XPs over the last two seasons is all you need to know.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Jones, Butler, and Catanzaro all need to go in my opinion. Clean house. The special teams unit has been an unmitigated disaster this season and piss poor kicking has been at the forefront.

8 missed XPs over the last two seasons is all you need to know.

+1

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Butler put up his obligatory 30 yarder when it mattered most. The missed FGs aren't solely on him to be fair, because the snaps were very high and in wet conditions. But for what BA and Keim called a superior holder, which in fact got him his job back, he couldn't hold the ball properly when it mattered. It's not like anybody doesn't know it by now, but Butler is just not talented enough to be more than a bottom of the barrel punter in the NFL. He simply lacks that big leg which punters need. There are good punters with weaker legs too, but they never misfire totally like Butler does at least once, if not twice, per game. Absolutely horrible. Even his "best" games have one rubbish punt at least.

Catanzaro on the other hand is very talented. His kickoffs have seemingly improved over the course of his career, and he has the natural leg talent to drill 60 yarders. While he could have converted at least a couple of those misses this season, certain circumstances made it a lot tougher than a kick should normally be (awful long snapping, holding). Automatisms get disrupted and suddenly a kick you make 99 out of 100 times in practice is so tough to convert. If he didn't hit the goal post twice, we'd have 2 more wins. On the other hand, Cairo Santos of the Chiefs hit the goal post on a chipshot game winning FG vs Denver in OT, but it was deflected so that it went through the uprights.

Cut Butler ASAP, bring in competition to bring the best out of Catman's talent.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
Not 10 minutes after the Cardinals game ended and the local coverage switched to SEA-GB did the Hawks long-snapper uncork an awful snap which the holder got down and Hauschka still drilled it through the uprights with no problem.

I don't want a kicker that always needs all the stars to be aligned perfectly just to make a chip shot.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave