AZ 31 WAS 23

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Justifiably so, but while he could be criticized, no one should have been shocked he did it. That is BA for better or worse. .....Better this time at least, lol.

Post game, Palmer was indeed shocked! He said he thought they were merely going to line up to get the Skins to use a timeout, but they didn't so they ran a play... :eek:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Offense:

Minuses:

* After another brisk tempo first possession TD, once again the offense goes into a stall---slower tempo and penalties.
* Floyd's drop
* Throwing the fade to Floyd with Norman on him and lesser defenders covering Fitz (like throwing to Smoke with the Vikings' 2 best CBs on him)
* Ulrich John's whiff on Murphy's sack
* Palmer taking that sack on the 3rd down play that led to Catanzaro's missed 54 yard FG

Plusses:

* Superb first drive for TD
* David Johnson's 180 all purpose yards, 2 TD
* Great blocks by Ulrich John and Nelson on Johnson's quick screen TD
* Fitzgerald playing like the consummate pro, running DBs over and reaching out for 1st downs
* Palmer playing error free and even ad libbing on a play and finding Fitz for a big first down
* Gresham running over Norman to move the chains
* DJH playing with confidence and pop next to Mike Iupati
* Floyd's perfectly executed switch route and catch for the TD
* BA going for it on 4th and 1 with game on the line---and DJH and Iupati caving in the left side of the line
* BA passing the ball to try to run out the the clock
* Palmer dropping the ball perfectly into the bucket and Nelson making a fantastic TD catch in traffic

It's strange to see the offense fall into a coma for large periods of a game... seems like it happens each week. But then, when you think about what it takes for this offense to be successful given that that there are only 3 players who can make anything happen (Palmer, Fitz and DJ), coupled with an o-line that has been riddled with injuries and is now starting some dude who has a first name for a last name at RT, a guy who nobody had ever heard of prior to a few weeks ago at RG, a should-be backup at Center, an injured RG in Iupati and a LT who, up until last week had never played LT in the NFL...I guess it's even more shocking that this offense is able, at times, to put together long drives and actually get the ball over the goal line.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Defense:

* With the exception of Calais Campbell (great strip sack), Markus Golden (played better contain on QB) and Patrick Peterson (good coverage), it's hard to say if anyone else on the defense had a plus performance.
* Marcus Cooper was way too passive once again---Jefferson was not himself---Swearinger wasn't cleaning up as he has in the past---the ILB tandem of Minter and Bucannon has possibly their worst game (when one would fill, the other didn't scrape and clean up)---the tackling as a whole was shoddy---Chandler Jones, save for batting down a pass where he stood still, was practically invisible.
* And yet, at the end of the day they only gave up 333 yards and came up with the big interception at the end
* But this unit has to play much better than this.

Special Teams:

* Butler---man---
* Peterson---loved that he turned in a good return early in the game---is he showing signs of stepping up?
* Catanzaro---good, solid day 4/4 opts, 1/2 FG (miss from 54), 6 touchbacks

Defense, particularly the back end, is so heavily reliant upon communication and trust... both of which are nearly impossible to cement when you are constantly shuffling the deck. I don't know how many different players we've had on the field this season in our secondary, but man it seems ever week there is someone there who hadn't played the previous week.
Of course, guys like Cooper, Simon and Branch seem sub-par anyway... but, I'm sure the fact that they just haven't had a lot of time playing together and with the rest of the defense has also seriously hampered their ability to be effective.
And don't get me started on Butler... but seriously, I'll ask again, how in the world does Amos Jones still have a job???? Since camp, our special teams have SUCKED. In every phase!! Amazing... :mad:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those coaches would also be making that call based on the assumption that their punter didnt suck donkey balls.

Yup. Which would give the Redskins better field position - A Butler Punt with our "Special" Teams coverage, or a failed 4th Down attempt. Punting probably would have given the Redskins better field position.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just to add on JJ td catch should have been pass interference. Don't know who it was but the guy grabs him right before the end zone. Just one miss that had me yelling at the refs.....oh and the shot to the head on Carson. That's all had to let it out.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just to add on JJ td catch should have been pass interference. Don't know who it was but the guy grabs him right before the end zone. Just one miss that had me yelling at the refs.....oh and the shot to the head on Carson. That's all had to let it out.

I was so frustrated about the no call on the hit to Palmer's head. But a few minutes later, Rucker dove straight into Cousin's knees at the end of a play and didn't get called. So at least they were consistent in allowing illegal hits on the qb's.. lol.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
I was so frustrated about the no call on the hit to Palmer's head. But a few minutes later, Rucker dove straight into Cousin's knees at the end of a play and didn't get called. So at least they were consistent in allowing illegal hits on the qb's.. lol.

Cousins wasn't in the pocket and was running away from Frostee. That's not a penalty.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
why we cant win a game by large difference, ok what is matter is a win, but one problem of arians tenure here was the inability to kill the game
is mentality weakness,they cant be concentrate a full game,what?

In 2015, we won 6 of our games by 25, 40, 25, 24, 23 and 30 points.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just to add on JJ td catch should have been pass interference.

Speaking of that catch - what the heck was going on with that long review of the play? There was ZERO doubt that it was a clean catch! Yet they not only reviewed it, as they routinely do for all scores, but instead of a quick booth review that a normal obvious TD gets, the ref went "under the hood" and studied the stupid thing forever, like it was the most difficult call in history. Truly mind-boggling.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thought the same on the review. I was actually nervous that I was missing something. As a Cardinal fan you never were relieved after a TD until you knew no flags were thrown. Now you have the damn reviews.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
100% agree. I can't remember the last time a team went for it inside their own 35 yard line at the end of a game (3:47 left) they were winning. You have to make that or you deserve to get bashed.

Belichik made that call...and failed... He's still the best coach ever.

I still think BA's weakness as a coach...Is what used to be a strength... Playcalling.

How annoying was it to listen to "know it all" Spielman dissect every running play, based on where Fitz stopped his motion??

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Belichik made that call...and failed... He's still the best coach ever.

I still think BA's weakness as a coach...Is what used to be a strength... Playcalling.

How annoying was it to listen to "know it all" Spielman dissect every running play, based on where Fitz stopped his motion??

Belichick. Agreed. But he DID take a beating on that, though I thought he made the right call.

Do you disagree with Spielman? I think he is correct on the Larry motion thing, and did a good job. The point about Buc not maintaining his gap and pushing to Minter's gap on the stretch running play was right on. He did his homework and was spot on about a lot of things about the Cardinals.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Belichick. Agreed. But he DID take a beating on that, though I thought he made the right call.

Do you disagree with Spielman? I think he is correct on the Larry motion thing, and did a good job. The point about Buc not maintaining his gap and pushing to Minter's gap on the stretch running play was right on. He did his homework and was spot on about a lot of things about the Cardinals.

Don't disagree with Spielman at all... He knows his stuff... But damn he's annoying.

It didn't sound like he was calling an NFL game.. It sounded like he was hosting a Pop Warner camp.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Post game, Palmer was indeed shocked! He said he thought they were merely going to line up to get the Skins to use a timeout, but they didn't so they ran a play... :eek:

Love it.

I would love to play for Bruce Arians.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Love it.

I would love to play for Bruce Arians.
right choice in the end, but it also explain what trust bruce arians has on his defense, not much

numbers doesnt show exactly the level of our defense, at my eyes is the worst defense in the last 7 years

our defesnive line is mediocre except for calais,who is great when he is motivated

pass rusher are ok, chandler has the talent but sometime he disappear

cb2 is horridous, lack of talent with cooper and lack of effort too

ILB is the worst unit of the NFL

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Speaking of that catch - what the heck was going on with that long review of the play? There was ZERO doubt that it was a clean catch! Yet they not only reviewed it, as they routinely do for all scores, but instead of a quick booth review that a normal obvious TD gets, the ref went "under the hood" and studied the stupid thing forever, like it was the most difficult call in history. Truly mind-boggling.

They were looking if Nelson stepped out of bounds while running his route, because he had stepped out of bounds, and was then the first to touch the ball it would be a penalty and no touchdown.

They said as much when coming back from commercial. There was no doubt he caught it.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They were looking if Nelson stepped out of bounds while running his route, because he had stepped out of bounds, and was then the first to touch the ball it would be a penalty and no touchdown.

They said as much when coming back from commercial. There was no doubt he caught it.

Ah, thank you! I was at the game and had no idea that there was even a question about that, only thought they were examining the catch - and now I remember why, they kept replaying it on the big screen as if that was what was under review. They should have been showing the relevant part of the play.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you disagree with Spielman? I think he is correct on the Larry motion thing, and did a good job.

I found this interesting and the coaching staff better be able to counter this to keep defenses honest because in poker this is what's called a "tell" and showing the same 'tell' can cost you.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I found this interesting and the coaching staff better be able to counter this to keep defenses honest because in poker this is what's called a "tell" and showing the same 'tell' can cost you.

That's been a "tell" since BA got here. My wife can call out run or pass based on our formation.
In 2015, we won 6 of our games by 25, 40, 25, 24, 23 and 30 points.

This should be noted in every fans mind.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Don't disagree with Spielman at all... He knows his stuff... But damn he's annoying.

It didn't sound like he was calling an NFL game.. It sounded like he was hosting a Pop Warner camp.

Spielman was better than most broadcasters. The reason it sounds so different is because broadcasters nowadays don't actually dissect plays. Go on youtube and look at some old games, the announcers regularly explained blocking technique, WR technique, and other intricacies of the game.

Frankly, if you listen to it back then, because of their cadence, there's a lot of dead air, it's freaking boring, but that's how they used to do it. They explained football and not who someone was dating or whether they head butted a prop or arguments on the sidelines. They talked about football and the technique involved with playing the game. But their production values were very poor back then.

I wish we could have more announcers like that, who talked football and the actual game and not the personalities. I don't care who Tony Romo or Tom Brady is dating or married to, I really don't care. I don't care if Josh Norman trash talks and I don't want to discuss it all game long. That's reality TV and entertainment. I want to hear about formations, schemes and plays and how they were set up. They used to do that.

They really did. The announcers back then knew more about football than these chumps, and I don't care who they have on. Look at Michael Strahan. Perfect example. HOF player, but he's hosted media shows and is a reality TV junkie, and he brings that to the NFL pre-game. I don't want that. I want football analysis. They can bash Spielman but he's better than the ***** on TV every Sunday talking about nonsense.

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pat Summerall, Paul Horning, and Ollie Matson:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Joe Namath wins, complete game:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Youtube has added many complete old games to their inventory. They even have the entire ice bowl with GB.

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Granted, I'm old get off my lawn dude, but the NFL was better with that music, the old gridiron music, rather than the trash they play now. The commentary was better, the actual product on the field was better. I miss it. I'm only 47 and honestly I wish I could have seen the football even before my time. It's better than the trash now.

Wish I could have seen some Gayle Sayers, and some Jim Brown. Some QB's like Otto Graham.

The fluff they put out there now is trash comparatively.