Nkemdiche Injures Elbow

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
They didn't announce how, but I'm guessing it was caused by endorsing all those huge paychecks the Cards were giving him.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not giving up on him. While I have my fingers crossed, I remember that DJ Humphries struggled as a rookie. Of course it might just be wishful thinking on my part.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To me its dissapointing however you have to account for the mental learning process. Cards are knowingly drafting guys with character issues, and working through the mental portion first. They basically beat up Humphries mentally and built him back up by sitting him all year, the same with Nkmidiche. Once his mind is right and he becomes a canvas, he has all the tools.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
They didn't announce how, but I'm guessing it was caused by endorsing all those huge paychecks the Cards were giving him.

I think it's an excuse to put him on injured reserve or something so they protect themselves from any questions while he is not playing and can then sign another guy while we still have fleeting playoff hopes

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The main difference between Hump and NK their first year is each player's respective attitude. When Hump was getting blasted by the coaching staff, you could see he used it as motivation and said/did all the right things in terms of maturing. Where is the fire/passion from NK? Seems more aloof than anything else which is very troubling...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
To me its dissapointing however you have to account for the mental learning process. Cards are knowingly drafting guys with character issues, and working through the mental portion first. They basically beat up Humphries mentally and built him back up by sitting him all year, the same with Nkmidiche. Once his mind is right and he becomes a canvas, he has all the tools.

This approach gets you at least one less useful year of contract control over rookies, AND will fail more often than it succeeds. You can't redshirt 1st-rounders and hope for the best all the time.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
First round draft choices are drafted in the first round for a reason, they are expected to play and contribute in the first season they are with the team. Apparently no one told this to SK or BA. I just don't think that having your first round draft choice contribute nothing two years running is not a good trend especially when later round choices are already playing and in some cases contributing in a big way.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards are still too cheap for Direct Deposit? When will this franchise ever learn...
Im guessing Direct deposit would actually be cheaper than hard printing checks ;)

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Cardpa has it right. Even if Humphries is contributing now I don't believe it's a winning strategy either functionally or financially to keep taking players in round one who do not make a year one contribution on the field. I believe with a better rounds 1 & 3 selection the Cards are likely a playoff team.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cardpa has it right. Even if Humphries is contributing now I don't believe it's a winning strategy either functionally or financially to keep taking players in round one who do not make a year one contribution on the field. I believe with a better rounds 1 & 3 selection the Cards are likely a playoff team.
Agree.

People also assume he's only losing a year of development like its no big deal. This isn't the case. The NFL changes drastically every year, by not playing this year he missed a chance to play against some good to great players who retire, leave in FA for other teams, or to play against certain schemes because the coaches moved on. These are experiences he won't get back, this is development he won't get back, once it's gone its gone.

That doesn't even take into account an important factor: by the time he does start or gets significant playing time he won't have played football at football speed for 2 years. And he's a rook, so not only is he rusty from his college game, but he won't be accustomed to NFL game speed. Walkthroughs don't count and watching is relatively meaningless.

I'm not calling him a bust by any means, but he better be motivated and have his head on straight because he has a lot of ground to make up.

I'll also add, this isn't a case of BA holding the kid back because he's a rook. Some of our other rooks made it difficult to impossible for BA to keep them off the field. If you flash on film that's going to stand out and nothing changes that.

If you want to play badly enough and work hard enough and have the talent you're going to play, rook or not. DJ is no exception, even though he started due to injury his rookie year--his work ethic and desire prepared him to TAKE the starting job when given the opportunity. There was no doubt whatsoever after his first game starting that job was his. He left no doubt, he wanted it and took it. Nkemdiche isn't there yet, obviously.

(disagree with the playoff team with better drafting though. I don't believe you can win anything with special teams as poor as ours. I don't mean just Butler, I'm talking special teams as a whole. Ours are awful. We lose too much field position due to special teams coverage and returns as well as Butler sucking ass)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Agree.

People also assume he's only losing a year of development like its no big deal. This isn't the case. The NFL changes drastically every year, by not playing this year he missed a chance to play against some good to great players who retire, leave in FA for other teams, or to play against certain schemes because the coaches moved on. These are experiences he won't get back, this is development he won't get back, once it's gone its gone.

That doesn't even take into account an important factor: by the time he does start or gets significant playing time he won't have played football at football speed for 2 years. And he's a rook, so not only is he rusty from his college game, but he won't be accustomed to NFL game speed. Walkthroughs don't count and watching is relatively meaningless.

I'm not calling him a bust by any means, but he better be motivated and have his head on straight because he has a lot of ground to make up.

I'll also add, this isn't a case of BA holding the kid back because he's a rook. Some of our other rooks made it difficult to impossible for BA to keep them off the field. If you flash on film that's going to stand out and nothing changes that.

If you want to play badly enough and work hard enough and have the talent you're going to play, rook or not. DJ is no exception, even though he started due to injury his rookie year--his work ethic and desire prepared him to TAKE the starting job when given the opportunity. There was no doubt whatsoever after his first game starting that job was his. He left no doubt, he wanted it and took it. Nkemdiche isn't there yet, obviously.

(disagree with the playoff team with better drafting though. I don't believe you can win anything with special teams as poor as ours. I don't mean just Butler, I'm talking special teams as a whole. Ours are awful. We lose too much field position due to special teams coverage and returns as well as Butler sucking ass)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Great points Darkside, especially on the development issue and the lost of playing at game speed for 2 years. Those are huge factors.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Well you can only ******** the team so many times before this is bound to happen.
I would think when you are jerking off yourself you might be aware of where the sink is...and maybe you wont injure your elbow.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe he should stop playing madden football 24/7 that can cause arm strain and start focusing on being a contributor to the Cardinals next season...

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We have female posters?

(Kidding, but logically speaking, ladies have already been exposed to all kind of nefarious activities by men. Nothing we post is a surprise. Why they don't post as often is a mystery. We (men) have a tendency to go back and forth forever, never giving up an argument, perhaps they just don't have the time or inclination. Perhaps they just think we're stupid. Or perhaps they just don't care as much as we do about some sport which has no bearing on their lives)

Last edited: