2016 D'Backs Offseason

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Free agency has started and to no one's surprise, ARZ looks like they will be standing pat as they plan on a 2017 - 2018 payroll of around $100M and with 4 guys signed accounting for $60M and arbitration eligible guys like Segura expected to raise payroll another $30M that would leave around $10M to spend which doesn't buy a lot on an inflating FA salary market.

So what moves should ARZ consider in order to start rebuilding because frankly they are no where near ready to compete for a playoff spot with this current roster.

I honestly think they need to consider dealing Greinke because at his age he may not be here when ARZ is ready to contend and at $34.4M a year for the next 4 years his salary really handicaps ARZ's payroll flexibility. I would keep Goldschmidt as he is the face of the franchise and despite a subpar season by his standards he is a guy who can easily turn it around if healthy and lead this offense. The one thing ARZ has going for it is that there really aren't any openings in the lineup as every spot is filled and we actually have depth in the OF & INF.

Areas to focus on in FA:
Bullpen:
Obviously with our budget, ARZ will need to focus on short term contracts so maybe guys like K- Rod, Ziegler, Joaquin Benoit, Neftali Feliz, Fernando Rodney, Cesar Ramos, Brandon Morrow, Brian Matusz and Aaron Crow.

Rotation:
This is actually a pretty weak FA market for SP, every big name is old and coming off sub par years. I would use the draft especially #7 to try and find an ace level guy which there seems to be a deep pitching talent pool in this year's draft. Guys I like: RHP Kyle Wright (VANDY), RHP Alex Faedo (FLA - I hope he falls to us), RHP Alex Lange (LSU) or RHP J.B. Bukuaskas (UNC). High School guys like Hunter Greene and Alex Scherff are other possibilities but I prefer college arms as they are the better bet to provide immediate help which ARZ so desperately needs.

So my moves would be:
- Trade Greinke and throw in money if need be to get a better package of prospects for him and rebuild the farm (SERIOUSLY) and develop it.
- Sign a couple of rebound type guys like Ramos, Morrow & Matusz whom are all still fairly young and maybe can surprise by ending up in the rotation as all three are former first round picks who started off as SP's. If ARZ is hell bent on keeping Greinke maybe go for the even older guys like Rodney, K-Rod, Benoit & Zeigler. Feliz is an intriguing guy as he is a great talent who just can't seem to stay healthy.
- Draft SP's with first 3 draft picks in hopes of finding top of the rotation SP's (maybe look at college arms who could potentially fast track to big leagues).
- Find a pitching coach that doesn't ruin pitchers by limiting what they throw or have them pitch away from their strengths. We've all seen SP's struggle here only to be shipped off and look good elsewhere and blame our coaches for their struggles.

Anyone else have a plan?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, complete rebuild. Trade Segura, Goldy, Tomas and Greinke (and eat salary), Pollock, Castillo, and whomever else you can and stock up on A and B level prospects. Suck for a year or two and then utilize money on top level SP and BP where needed.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, complete rebuild. Trade Segura, Goldy, Tomas and Greinke (and eat salary), Pollock, Castillo, and whomever else you can and stock up on A and B level prospects. Suck for a year or two and then utilize money on top level SP and BP where needed.

I could agree with that if this new regime sticks to that and doesn't try to go for a quick fix and jettison prospects on overrated players in lieu of drafting well and developing the talent. This last regime started out promising to develop the farm but tried to speed up the process and sold the farm and look what happened (TLR is lucky to still be collecting a pay check).

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Patrick Corbin, Randall Delgado, Peter O’Brien, and Jack Reinheimer to the New York Yankees for Tommy Layne (through 2021), and Bryan Mitchell (through 2022), Luis Torrens, and Jorge Mateo

This one sort of came out of nowhere, and then exploded all on its own. The Yankees were curious about Corbin and we countered with a few names we liked, including their two hot SS prospects and the #9 catching prospect in baseball, along with some intriguing bullpen pieces. The reply was that something could be worked out if we were willing to part with O’Brien and Reinheimer, but that it would be #18 overall prospect Mateo and not #17 Torres. Twist my arm. Due to present depth at catching, Torrens was also very available. Delgado was added by us for two reasons, it evened out the return some in terms of talent, and it also saved us an additional $1.9 million, bringing total dollar savings to roughly $4.5 million.

This return gives us a pre-arbitration bullpen arm with success in the difficult AL East in Layne. It gives the team essentially RDLR v2.0 in Bryan Mitchell, but without the injury or salary concerns. Mitchell can start in Reno to see if he can finally find consistency. If he doesn’t, he is a heartbeat away from being a reliever with a 97-mph fastball, 92-mph cutter, and an 84-mph hammer that could be used in late-game relief. Torrens and Hernandez are then in the pipeline as catching depth, both with MLB floors, though Torrens has a much higher chance of being a starter than Hernandez. Both are known for being glove-first, but Torrens has some stick. Then we also land the #18 prospect, a shortstop to pair with Leyba moving forward.

I like this move, not a big fan of the other ones.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like this move, not a big fan of the other ones.

This dude is proposing a complete overhaul of the roster, I doubt Hazen takes that drastic of an approach, at least not in Year 1. I think he waits until mid year to see where the team is before making any major changes (like trading Greinke).

If a complete overhaul rebuilds our farm into one of the best in baseball, I am all for that. Bring in FA's on short term deals so that the payroll is not saddled with expensive, long term salaries.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So with the trade of Segura (which I like the acquisition of Walker), I would expect a couple of more deals involving the arbitration eligible players. It makes sense to sell high and keep payroll in check, of course depending on the returns in these deals this seems like the most logical route for Hazen to take. I would expect that Pollock, Goldschmidt & Greinke to not be dealt this offseason (maybe at deadline depending on where we are). Unless there is an offer to good to pass up for either Pollock or Goldschmidt there really is no point in moving them. There really isn't any point in dealing Greinke unless ARZ just wants to dump the contract because unless significant money is included, he won't bring back anything in return. Obviously big market clubs may be interested in acquiring him (LAD were reportedly interested in re-acquiring him at the deadline). If ARZ does end up dealing Greinke then they might as well deal Goldschmidt & Pollock because then a total re-build makes sense at that point because the team will be years away from turning it around at that point.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like you guys are willing to give up more starting pitching.
With Walker in hand and a weak free-agent market at foot, the Diamondbacks -- now led by former Red Sox general manager Mike Hazen -- are expecting other teams to come calling about their young starters, according to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal:
But, with free agency offering mostly tears and tumbleweeds to teams in need of rotation help, it wouldn't be surprising if Arizona is able to move a young starter or two in exchange for something interesting.

In the coming weeks, we'll find out just how interesting.
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...ks-expecting-more-interest-in-young-starters/

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Looks like you guys are willing to give up more starting pitching.

"But, with free agency offering mostly tears and tumbleweeds to teams in need of rotation help, it wouldn't be surprising if Arizona is able to move a young starter or two in exchange for something interesting.

In the coming weeks, we'll find out just how interesting."

If it means acquiring legitimate protection for Paul Goldschmidt behind him in the batting order, I say go for it.

I don't want to see another season with Goldy putting up decent stats but not being the difference maker that a contender needs. And I'd hate to think that he has already reached the pinnacle of his role.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...ks-expecting-more-interest-in-young-starters/

Last edited:

Matt L

Reaction score
So with the trade of Segura (which I like the acquisition of Walker), I would expect a couple of more deals involving the arbitration eligible players. It makes sense to sell high and keep payroll in check, of course depending on the returns in these deals this seems like the most logical route for Hazen to take. I would expect that Pollock, Goldschmidt & Greinke to not be dealt this offseason (maybe at deadline depending on where we are). Unless there is an offer to good to pass up for either Pollock or Goldschmidt there really is no point in moving them. There really isn't any point in dealing Greinke unless ARZ just wants to dump the contract because unless significant money is included, he won't bring back anything in return. Obviously big market clubs may be interested in acquiring him (LAD were reportedly interested in re-acquiring him at the deadline). If ARZ does end up dealing Greinke then they might as well deal Goldschmidt & Pollock because then a total re-build makes sense at that point because the team will be years away from turning it around at that point.
I have to wonder if the cubs would take Greinke and give us anything decent in return.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have to wonder if the cubs would take Greinke and give us anything decent in return.
I've read articles that speculate big market clubs (NYY / LA) would exploit ARZ's need (desire) for cap space and would offer to take the remaining balance of the contract but give nothing else back in terms of prospects so basically buy Greinke's contract.

I read another article that had a trade value chart broken down by how much teams would have to kick in on albatross contracts to go up the prospect value. So according to the chart to get a Top 10 prospect (in all of baseball) it would take at least kicking in $20M a year of the contract, so if ARZ threw in $100M, they could get a top prospect for Greinke, theoretically.

An example they gave is ATL took Arroyo's $10M contract to get Touissant who was a Top 20 prospect.

Matt L

Reaction score
I've read articles that speculate big market clubs (NYY / LA) would exploit ARZ's need (desire) for cap space and would offer to take the remaining balance of the contract but give nothing else back in terms of prospects so basically buy Greinke's contract.

I read another article that had a trade value chart broken down by how much teams would have to kick in on albatross contracts to go up the prospect value. So according to the chart to get a Top 10 prospect (in all of baseball) it would take at least kicking in $20M a year of the contract, so if ARZ threw in $100M, they could get a top prospect for Greinke, theoretically.

An example they gave is ATL took Arroyo's $10M contract to get Touissant who was a Top 20 prospect.

I could see ownership possibly forcing that type of trade in a future offseason. However, a mid season trade would give the Dbacks leverage if one of these teams (yankees, red sox, cubs, dodgers) is in need of an ace and Greinke is pitching well. Of course it won't matter if his ERA and FIP are over 4.00

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I could see ownership possibly forcing that type of trade in a future offseason. However, a mid season trade would give the Dbacks leverage if one of these teams (yankees, red sox, cubs, dodgers) is in need of an ace and Greinke is pitching well. Of course it won't matter if his ERA and FIP are over 4.00
I've read it may be Hazen who would have to convince ownership to sign off on a deal so he can get more cap space. Waiting until deadline would be okay if Greinke doesn't look like crap or maybe a contender would overlook that if they feel they can turn him around or their ball park would be a better fit for him.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
D'Backs have cut ties with Welington Castillo and Rubby De La Rosa and have signed Jeff Mathis to a 2 year $4M deal. Big down grade in offense but maybe ARZ is looking to improve with defense behind the plate.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
D'Backs have cut ties with Welington Castillo and Rubby De La Rosa and have signed Jeff Mathis to a 2 year $4M deal. Big down grade in offense but maybe ARZ is looking to improve with defense behind the plate.
Going with Hermann full time. Mathis will be his backup.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They're looking to improve the pitching and they probably think Mathis can do that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson