Cubs and Cardinals

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
If you were watching the Cubs' celebration last night, were you thinking of how amazing it felt for us Cardinals' fans when we won the NFC Championship and were headed to the Super Bowl?

I was.

I was also struck by how avid and passionate our Red Sea is now---to the point where I believe we could rival any fan group in America.

Then, when Cubs' manager Joe Maddon was asked what his thoughts were over coffee yesterday morning, he said he was hoping to be able to "watch football on Sunday." (Meaning---no game 7)

I have mentioned this before and for those who may have missed it---I read a few years ago in article about Joe Maddon that his favorite football team is the Arizona Cardinals. He said he became a Cardinals' fan as a kid when he was taken to a Giants/Cardinals game at Yankee Stadium in 1963...which was especially amazing to me because that was the day that I, as an 8 year old kid, became a Cardinals' fan.

Thus, GO RED SEA! GO CARDINALS! GO COACH MADDON! GO CUBS!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Amen Mitch!

I find it amazing that Epstein led the Red Sox to titles after years & years of disappointing endings & he's likely going to do it again with the Cubs. Who would've thought that? Wow
And he's doing to it with several of those former Red Sox players! Incredible

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't follow BB any more but I have been seeing some things on FB... did the Cubbies actually win a WS?? Or just going to the WS?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
If you were watching the Cubs' celebration last night, were you thinking of how amazing it felt for us Cardinals' fans when we won the NFC Championship and were headed to the Super Bowl?

I was.

I was also struck by how avid and passionate our Red Sea is now---to the point where I believe we could rival any fan group in America.

Then, when Cubs' manager Joe Maddon was asked what his thoughts were over coffee yesterday morning, he said he was hoping to be able to "watch football on Sunday." (Meaning---no game 7)

I have mentioned this before and for those who may have missed it---I read a few years ago in article about Joe Maddon that his favorite football team is the Arizona Cardinals. He said he became a Cardinals' fan as a kid when he was taken to a Giants/Cardinals game at Yankee Stadium in 1963...which was especially amazing to me because that was the day that I, as an 8 year old kid, became a Cardinals' fan.

Thus, GO RED SEA! GO CARDINALS! GO COACH MADDON! GO CUBS!

The man enjoys a good cigar as well. I got to love that, and he's a great manager. After that NFC championship game CBUS and I walked out of the stadium and the IGGLES fans were just standing around in shock. What a game to be at, and great a great time. My son and I didn't have as much fun at the Super Bowl, but it was a great experience just being there.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I don't follow BB any more but I have been seeing some things on FB... did the Cubbies actually win a WS?? Or just going to the WS?

This will be the first appearance in a WS for the Cubbies since 1945. The Indians were in the 1997 series however have not won a series since 1948. This should be one for the ages. Two teams that have not won a series in 58 years. I have lost interest in BB too, however this series I may watch just because of the 2 teams in it.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Joe Maddon is every bit a diehard Cardinals fan as any of us here. Another reason why I love that guy.

Before the Steelers-Cardinals SB in 2009 (played in Tampa), someone asked him (he was managing the Rays at the time) if he had a ticket. He stated something to the effect of "I'll sit in the Raymond James Stadium parking lot and listen to it on the radio if I have to - I have to be there".

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've been on cloud 9 since Saturday night. What makes it even more special is my brother is in town to watch the World Series with me. :thumbup:
Being a Cardinals baseball fan, I never had much love for the Cubs. But I'm rooting hard for them this year. Good luck to the Cubs and all of you deserving fans.

Reaction score
Being a Cardinals baseball fan, I never had much love for the Cubs. But I'm rooting hard for them this year. Good luck to the Cubs and all of you deserving fans.

I grew up in a small town south of Springfield. The whole town is divided between the Cubs & the St Louis Cardinals. Huge rivalry there.

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
I'm also a Cards and Cubs fan. Never believed I'd see either win it all, now I believe I'll see both

The last few weeks of 3 hours sleep given time zone is taking its toll though.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amen Mitch!

I find it amazing that Epstein led the Red Sox to titles after years & years of disappointing endings & he's likely going to do it again with the Cubs. Who would've thought that? Wow
And he's doing to it with several of those former Red Sox players! Incredible

The Arizona Cardinals need to bring in Epstein... :)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Yeah, he could go for the ultimate trifecta.
Love it. Theo could bounce around from one downtrodden franchise to another across different sports and bring them to relevancy. After he gets the Cardinals two Super Bowls, we can give him to the Suns. After he makes the Suns successful, then it's on to the Browns. And so on and so forth.

He can be like the Jesus Christ of sports front offices.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Love it. Theo could bounce around from one downtrodden franchise to another across different sports and bring them to relevancy. After he gets the Cardinals two Super Bowls, we can give him to the Suns. After he makes the Suns successful, then it's on to the Browns. And so on and so forth.

That would indeed make him Jesus.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious but it has been proven that a good "CEO" type can go into multiple industries and be successful because of their skills. He doesn't have to be able to hit a home run or throw a touchdown pass, his expertise is in building the team.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious but it has been proven that a good "CEO" type can go into multiple industries and be successful because of their skills. He doesn't have to be able to hit a home run or throw a touchdown pass, his expertise is in building the team.

I was being silly, but I think Theo will go down as one of the greatest execs in the history of
pro sports. He could excel in the NFL, NBA, & NHL if given the chance.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would gladly buy Maddon a ticket to the rest of our games to get some of his magic to rub off on our guys.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was being silly, but I think Theo will go down as one of the greatest execs in the history of
pro sports. He could excel in the NFL, NBA, & NHL if given the chance.

The fact that he is only 42 is mind blowing. He has a lot of time to pull off more crazy miracles - and is going to get PAID.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson