The search for a new DBacks GM:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They better be into saber-metrics, and not by way of "value over replacement grit".

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They better be into saber-metrics, and not by way of "value over replacement grit".

At the presser they seemed to indicate they would go that route - sabermetrics, that is

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At the presser they seemed to indicate they would go that route - sabermetrics, that is

Not the impression I got. Sounded to me they were already leaving back doors to back out of "well we want someone who will value both ways of thinking"

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I think they should try to target somebody from the Cardinals or Kansas City organizations. The problem there is the ownership group/management do not seem to have the patience or the resolve to stick with a GM through the actual process of building an organization.

I am really surprised the La Russa has not been fired or that he has not resigned. I wonder if the ownership is trying to get him to resign (so they won't have to pay him). Based on the comments, it sounds like they don't want him to serve in a capacity as "president of baseball operations."

I would also be interested in finding out where they stand compared to their peers in compensation for scouts, organizational coaching, etc. They really can't compete with the Dodgers or Giants when it comes to salaries at the big league level. They should however be competitive with other teams in their organizational development. I would also look at really spending on a pitching coach and developing an actual plan for the development of their pitchers.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Names mentioned on Venom Strikes that are intriguing but ARZ would have to move fast. Ben Cherington would be ideal or Thad Levine should Cherington decline interest. Both are being pursued by numerous teams.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Disagree. Apparently Rizzo almost quit last year when ownership ordered him to fire Williams, and again when Ownership (ie the son of the owner) vetoed a trade.
I should have used the sarcasm symbol. I said that not to jinx us. I really want this to happen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose